• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Selection

Ruggermug10

Academy Player
Hi all.

I was just wondering what people's thoughts are around selection and the issues we have at our club.

We are supposed to train on a tuesday and thursday evening, where we do general training on tuesday, and specific team stuff on a thursday.
We regularly get poor numbers to training, especially on the tuesday, and invariably we miss a lot on the thursday as well.
Often a team run through will have a few players in positions they won't be playing in on sat/or won't be selected.
The coaches have said numbers need to improve but personally i don't think they will as the incentive to train isn't there.
Our selection comittee regularly select players who haven't trained. So why would players commit when they won't get a chance to play, and players who are deemed better are selected whether they train or not.
It seems that a) they have a pool of 20 players they pigeon hole into positions to accommodate them, and b) the selection is based on winning game by game, not building to be successful for a season.

I'm at the end of my career and want to move into coaching and this is something that you see at so many levels, and wondered the best way to manage it.

tia

Latest posts