• Sexton

Votes: 25 55.6%
  • Trinh-Duc

Votes: 20 44.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This argument is like saying "who's better; Dan Carter or Morne Steyn?"

Sexton is the Dan Carter equivalent in this argument

You cannot liken a 1996 Ford Scorpio with a Rolls Royce. That's just silly.

Stop the fundamentalism. I voted for Sexton, but what you're saying is just nonsense. The results of the poll, the comments here and many other facts make it obvious that the choice is, precisely, not obvious. Let's try to give rugby arguments and not say "I'm right because I'm right".
Agree. Raise the bar folks, lets try and have an intelligent conversation on the matter.

In my humble opinion:
Trinh Duc is one of the 5 better FH in the world with Carter,Cooper, M. Steyn and Wilko (I would like include O'Gara but his defence is a real issue).
Each one has his own style. Cooper and TD are the youngest. They can gain in experience and maturity.
Sexton and Flood are one step behind. They haven't their own game. but they're young enough to improve themselves.

Last edited:
In my humble opinion:
Trinh Duc is one of the 5 better FH in the world with Carter,Cooper, M. Steyn and Wilko (I would like include O'Gara but his defence is a real issue).
Each one has his own style. Cooper and TD are the youngest. They can gain in experience and maturity.
Sexton and Flood are one step behind. They haven't their own game. but they're young enough to improve themselves.

Sexton is better M.Steyn and Wilko and as I have said previously T-D(but that isn't the point of this particular post) Please don't*categorize*Flood with Sexton because Sexton has completely played Flood off the park every time they have met.

If I were to categorize players on levels like that I'd have it like this:

Level 1: Carter (Cooper quickly gaining)
Level 2: Cooper, Hernandez (Sexton and Hook quickly gaining)
Level 3: Sexton, Hook, T-D, Wilkinson, O'Gara and Steyn(Wilko, RO'G and Steyb falling)
Somewhere in the middle: Flood
Level 4: Parks, Skrela, Humphreys, Wieneski etc...

Sexton definetly, he single handedly won the heineken cup final

In my humble opinion:

THE TRUTH.

Sexton is definitely a "good" fly-half but I'd definitely say that TD has an edge on him.

Everybody likes to "big-up" lads from their club, hell I even tried to big up Banahan once, but Sexton has been propelled into a world of overhype that I thought was saved only for Leicester players.

If we were to take it down to basics what is Sexton and how does he rank? - He's a solid international fly-half who is currently developing well. He's nothing special and is not a "world class" fly half but an "international class" fly-half, i.e. he's fit for the international stage but not better than most of the int. flyhalves. To say that he single handedly won the Heineken would be extreme, afterall he kicked his goals etc but IMHO was not the reason why they one nor the most important (Saints' exhaustion).

Finally, as for comparing him to Flood, IMHO, they are just about comparable as Flood on a good day can do anything Sexton does and both rely on older hands to bail them out in times of need - Wilko (Six nations vs Ireland) and ROG (Six Nations vs Italy).

m0rris

If we were to take it down to basics what is Sexton and how does he rank? - He's a solid international fly-half who is currently developing well. He's nothing special and is not a "world class" fly half but an "international class" fly-half, i.e. he's fit for the international stage but not better than most of the int. flyhalves. To say that he single handedly won the Heineken would be extreme, afterall he kicked his goals etc but IMHO was not the reason why they one nor the most important (Saints' exhaustion).

Can I just point out I don't consider this a valid excuse. Saints should give their players' better training if they get exhausted that easily. The Aviva semi final is no excuse. Leinster had a league semi the week before as well.

Not wishing to turn this into a HC Final discussion, I was referring to the combined effect of the end of season and the forwards playing with a man down for 10 mins in the first half leading to a more exhausted state than the Leinster players.

m0rris

Finally, as for comparing him to Flood, IMHO, they are just about comparable as Flood on a good day can do anything Sexton does
Flood has bottled his first two trips to the Aviva. Completely bottled it. Sexton has never done the same. You cant compare the two of them, when one is as fragile as a wafer.

I was referring to the combined effect of the end of season and the forwards playing with a man down for 10 mins in the first half leading to a more exhausted state than the Leinster players.
So Leinster won the HEC because Saints were only capable of playing for 40 minutes? In your opinion that was the key contributing factor?

7 hours left to pay homage to Trinh Duc :eek:
You should have noticed by now, no one has actually seen Montpellier play this year so they have all seen Trinh-duc play about twice. This is about bashing Sexton, not praising Trinh-duc.

About Northampton v Leinster : Saying that Sexton single handedly won the game for Leinster is a shame. One of the main reason Northampton lost is because of Leinster forwards. According to me, they are the true heroes of this game.

Back to the topic :

This is about bashing Sexton, not praising Trinh-duc.

Or you could say it's all about the Irishs bashing TD. And with 24 votes for Sexton, you can hardly say that Sexton has been bashed.

You should have noticed by now, no one has actually seen Montpellier play this year so they have all seen Trinh-duc play about twice.

Agree on that one, but people have seen TD during the 6N this year, and probably the previous year as well.

Unlike your Irish friends, you seem to be a bit more open-minded about TD. If you have really seen TD playing, I can't understand why you don't admit that TD is the only one so far who has shown little bits of genius when he got the ball.

Last edited:
Flood has bottled his first two trips to the Aviva. Completely bottled it. Sexton has never done the same. You cant compare the two of them, when one is as fragile as a wafer.

So Leinster won the HEC because Saints were only capable of playing for 40 minutes? In your opinion that was the key contributing factor?

In answer to the two of them..

Sexton and Flood have similarities, although as many have made clear Sexton is now reacting to pressure better than Flood and is now definitely better than Flood. However, both compared to the upper echelons of Flyhalfdom aren't the best and aren't likely to be the best but are good international bread and butter FHs.

As for the HEC, yes Leinster won it because Saints could only play their game for 40 mins but that doesn't take away from Leinster the remarkable manner in which they came back from a first half trashing, and their forwards managed to go from looking like a 2nd XV to one of the best packs in the world... This is why Leinster are the best NH club side. I hope I didn't come across as sour grapes ec but I was just trying to point out that the idea that Sexton won the HEC was wrong as it was Leinster, particularly their forwards and Nacewa, that sealed their victory with Sexton et al healping as a collective to turn the game around.

m0rris

Lenster won that game because they as a cohesive unit upped their game while Northampton ran out of steam. Sexton (and Heaslips pushing the extent of the laws) made the biggest impacts. Nacewa was a bit poo and if we're honest.

If you have really seen TD playing, I can't understand why you don't admit that TD is the only one so far who has shown little bits of genius when he got the ball.
I didn't mean to deny that (if I did). I think that Trinh-ducs is at his most effective with ball in hand. I really rate him. He's one of those players who can touch the ball twice in one phase of play, and if he does Montpellier usually score.

I just believe that Sexton also has strengths but in totally different areas and in this thread Sextons strengths are being understated while Trinh-ducs are being exaggerated. At the same time, Sexton's weaknesses are being spoken off as while Trinh-ducs are being ignored as irrelevant (primarily by the same people who have only seen him play once or twice).

I'm trying to offer a balanced view. Don't see many others here doing the same.

Sexton and Flood have similarities, although as many have made clear Sexton is now reacting to pressure better than Flood and is now definitely better than Flood. However, both compared to the upper echelons of Flyhalfdom aren't the best and aren't likely to be the best but are good international bread and butter FHs.
I think Sexton is far more than a bread and butter fly half (though he's no Dan Carter), but we can agree to differ on that.

Disagree on the Saints fatigue thing, but it's off topic and I'm nit-picking

Lenster won that game because they as a cohesive unit upped their game while Northampton ran out of steam. Sexton (and Heaslips pushing the extent of the laws) made the biggest impacts. Nacewa was a bit poo and if we're honest.

Cough**
SOB
Cough**

Heaslip >>>>> sob
ERC_EUROPEAN_PLAYER_OF_THE_.jpg

And another thread turns into a series of facepalm pics, with the odd familyguy or animal pic thrown in for good measure.

I think Sexton's the better 10 but TD is a better rugby player, if you know what I mean.

Latest posts