• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

SH Opinions of potential Lions Players

English Prop:Andrew Sheridan although whenever he comes up against Hayman he's made to look quite average I still rate him because he just has immense power and contributes alot to the English pack.[/b]

I disagree, they've only met twice, maybe three times I believe. First game ended virtually in a stalemate between the two with neither clearly getting the upper hand. Their record in the GP is also pretty inconclusive.

The two are very evenly matched and say what you want about him, in both of Englands World Cup games against South Africa, he was one of the key factors in securing the scrum for England (one of the few points to shout about in those two games :( )

<div class='quotemain'>English Prop:Andrew Sheridan although whenever he comes up against Hayman he's made to look quite average I still rate him because he just has immense power and contributes alot to the English pack.[/b]

I disagree, they've only met twice, maybe three times I believe. First game ended virtually in a stalemate between the two with neither clearly getting the upper hand. Their record in the GP is also pretty inconclusive.

The two are very evenly matched and say what you want about him, in both of Englands World Cup games against South Africa, he was one of the key factors in securing the scrum for England (one of the few points to shout about in those two games :( ) [/b][/quote]Yep well like I said I haven't watched much NH Rugby in ages but the games I saw when the two clashed Hayman clearly got the upper hand because Sheridan was hyped up by the media when he come over with the British & Irish Lions being called the human juggernaut and than next minute the NH media were talking about Sheridan still just being an inexperiences young prop. Than the All Blacks went up North for the Grand Slam Tour and Sheridan got subbed off because Hayman took him.

However I wanna know who the prop for Italy was last year at the RWC because he gave Hayman a good go I remember watching the game and thinking wow who the hell is this guy he's pushing our scrum a bit.

Some of the most contentious selection in world rugby, especially in the NH, has to be with Lions Selection. So.. here's my stab at it....

Props
1) Andrew Sheridan
2) Gethin Jenkins
3) Marcus Horan
4) Duncan Jones
5) Matt Stevens
6) Phil Vickery

Hookers
7) John Flannery
8) Matthew Rees
9) Ross Ford

Locks
10)Paul O'Connell
11) Donagha O'Callaghan
12) Steve Borthwick
13) Alyn Wyn Jones
14) Ian Gough

Back Row
15) Ryan Jones
16) James Haskell
17) Martin Williams
18) Denis Leamy
19) Jaime Heslip
20) Ali Hogg
21) Jason White
22) Tom Rees

Half-Backs
23) Eoin Redden
24) Dwayne Peel
25) Michael Phillips

Outside Halves
26) James Hook
27) Danny Cipriani
28) Stephen Jones

Centres
29) Olly Barkley
30) Shane Geraghty
31) Brian O'Driscoll
32) Gavin Henson
33) Tom Shanklin

Wings
34) Shane Williams
35) Topsy Ojo
36) Rory Lamont
37) James Simpson-Daniel
38) Sean Lamont

Fullbacks
39) Rob Kearney
40) Lee Byrne

Half-Backs
23) Eoin Redden
24) Dwayne Peel
25) Michael Phillips
[/b]
You missed Mike Blair, why? I mean, he's only the best 9 in Europe/the World at the moment... \o/

<_<

I knew someone would have to be left out, and I'm assuming that Peel will get a bit of resurgence of form at Sale this year. Blair would probably make the plane if Peel doesn't have a cracker this season and get his Wales starting position back. I just feel that if Peel is starting for Wales, he is on the plane for sure. If Phillips is getting the nod... Blair may beat him.

My view on Blair is that he has good service, is a tough customer, and is a pretty steady player. His defensive upside might be his saviour for this tour vs Peel, who is a bit more explosive, but is also smaller and less defensively sound.

<div class='quotemain'>
Half-Backs
23) Eoin Redden
24) Dwayne Peel
25) Michael Phillips
[/b]
You missed Mike Blair, why? I mean, he's only the best 9 in Europe/the World at the moment... \o/

<_<
[/b][/quote]
ah theres nothing like a ood fact is there <_<

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
Irish Centre:Bryan O'Driscoll not much needed to say here but he is in a class of his own I don't think there are any other centres in the world that can touch him at the moment.

[/b]

I can see you havent watched NH rugby in a while, BOD is garbage now and has been pretty average for a few years to be honest. The likes of Mortlock,McAlistar and De Villiers are much better centres.
[/b][/quote]
Not to mention Jauzion, Henson, Giteau, Steyn and Nonu...
[/b][/quote]

Indeed, but not Steyn ;)

the lions tour in a year's time, so i hope during that time we can find some real quality because South Africa's only question mark comes at 14 in terms of where there are class players.

There aren't any outstanding British hookers at the moment.
There are some great locks but the only one who's looked on top form this season was Alun Wyn Jones.
Back row we can compete whoever out of the 4 backrows makes it.
scrum half... blair's good. peel and phillips are good. ellis and care are good. but they need to stay fit and in form.
outside that, o'gara is a class act but a choker. cipriani is a class act but young and inexperienced and currently injured. i'd laugh if i was south african and hook made fly half.
o'driscoll was a class act. Henson has to be a shoe- in at 12. Then we're struggling for centres, i suspect
BOD will get there.
wings, well Shane Williams provided he keeps the form of 2008. Outstanding winger. otherwise, Sackey has to play 14 since I can't think of any other quality wingers, Horgan maybe
fullback. major weakness. Lee Byrne atm but he's the sort of player who performs well on a Welsh bubble (like hook) and not on the big stage. Tait or Fitzgerald depending on this season are options.

Matthew Rees??!
Why would Geech take Wales' third best hooker?

Back 3:
11 - Shane
14 - Kearney
15 - Byrne

Matthew Rees??!
Why would Geech take Wales' third best hooker?

Back 3:
11 - Shane
14 - Kearney
15 - Byrne
[/b]
Kearney's natural position is 15 though, and Byrne trounces him in that spot...
How about Rory Lamont for 14? He'll probably be playing there for Sale most of the season and he looks really talented... prone to injury, though. >.>

Well my thinking was that Kearney has looked awesome at full back, but then so has Byrne. So seeing as Kearney has also played a bit on the wing, push him out to accomodate them both.
Lamont is also a good option. Just as long as Sackey isn't anywhere near there I'll be happy. :p

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
Irish Centre:Bryan O'Driscoll not much needed to say here but he is in a class of his own I don't think there are any other centres in the world that can touch him at the moment.

[/b]

I can see you havent watched NH rugby in a while, BOD is garbage now and has been pretty average for a few years to be honest. The likes of Mortlock,McAlistar and De Villiers are much better centres.
[/b][/quote]
[/b][/quote]

Indeed, but not Steyn ;) [/b][/quote]

Yeah I was going to say, Steyn? :blink:

There have been bigger dissapointments though at center, Henderson for Scotland comes to mind as one..

2004-7 Era Matthew Tait before his proper switch to full back? He always looked suffocated at center.

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

[/b][/quote]
[/b][/quote]

There have been bigger dissapointments though at center, Henderson for Scotland comes to mind as one..
[/b][/quote]

:lol: he MUST be the slowest centre on earth, remember against Italy when he was one on one with their scrum half and he meekly stumbled into him at a top speed of 3 mph. Joke of a player..

Well my thinking was that Kearney has looked awesome at full back, but then so has Byrne. So seeing as Kearney has also played a bit on the wing, push him out to accomodate them both.
Lamont is also a good option. Just as long as Sackey isn't anywhere near there I'll be happy. :p
[/b]

Yes if we are looking for counter attacking kind of rugby Lamont is the one to have, however if we want to play a tight solid game then Kearney should be in.

Did it? :S :S
[/b]

He met Charlotte Church. :ph34r:

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

[/b][/quote]
[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

:lol: he MUST be the slowest centre on earth, remember against Italy when he was one on one with their scrum half and he meekly stumbled into him at a top speed of 3 mph. Joke of a player..

[/b][/quote]
Most people would give their left nut to achieve what he has and their right nut to do what he can do at the tender age of 21.

Latest posts