• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

SH v NH annual showdown. I reckon it's a go-er...

AJL

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
England
Ok, so this is probably a ridiculous idea that'll never happen but would it be that difficult to facilitate an annual southern hemisphere vs northern hemisphere grudge match? One year it could be played at one of the grand stadiums in the southern hemisphere (so northern hemisphere would be 'away') and then the next vice versa. The best squad of players from NZ, Aus, SA and Argentina (plus pacific islands etc if good enough) against the best players from Eng, Wal, Sco, Ire, Fra, Ita etc etc.

One player has brought this idea to mind: Sergio Parisse. To my mind one of the best no.8's in world rugby but never really going to have the opportunity to showcase his talents on the world stage. Ok he takes Italy to world cups but as the case with Italy it then all goes a bit wrong. Not his fault, not really Italy's fault. They always give it a damn good go but you have to admit that if he had been born in one of the more established rugby nations then by now his name would be synonymous with being a world class no.8. This idea would give him the opportunity to play against the best and actually compete for a change. I'm not saying he would be a shoe-in for the NH starting XV as there are notable competitors, but you catch my drift.

Look at the phenomenon that is the British & Irish Lions tour. Must have started somewhere and it has grown massively in popularity over the years. The rugby monarchy and 'knowledge' are always extolling the SH and panning the NH. Well let's have the best XV's from both hemispheres against each other and see who comes out on top....

Could be interesting? Or dead in the water?

It's been talked about before - but I think it is a bit of a logistical nightmare - particularly if you want to do the match justice.

One thing I will say on Parisse - fantastic player. But he plays extremely loosely for a #8.

Compare him to Toby Faletau. Despite Italy almost always have fewer possession, and they played identical minutes, Faletau made over twice the number of tackles (65 - 32). He made less than Jamie Heaslip despite the same number of minutes (60-32). He made less than Billy Vunipola despite the same number of minutes (45-32). He averaged the least number of tackles of any number 8, per minutes played. That should not be the case when you play with the possession of Italy. Even Couley who was on for 20 less minutes, made 12 more tackles. Someone commented "Parisse seems everywhere", well yes he does, because he's so often in the back-line or receiving kicks on defense - that he is never lost in a ruck. He has some fantastic skills - so did a guy called Collin Burke in New Zealand. You you haven't heard the name it is because despite him being a #8 who drop kicked goals and chip kicked beatufiully - no team wanted a #8 playing that loose. I suspect that would be the base for any other NH team barring Italy.

Last edited:
Ok, so this is probably a ridiculous idea that'll never happen but would it be that difficult to facilitate an annual southern hemisphere vs northern hemisphere grudge match? One year it could be played at one of the grand stadiums in the southern hemisphere (so northern hemisphere would be 'away') and then the next vice versa. The best squad of players from NZ, Aus, SA and Argentina (plus pacific islands etc if good enough) against the best players from Eng, Wal, Sco, Ire, Fra, Ita etc etc.

One player has brought this idea to mind: Sergio Parisse. To my mind one of the best no.8's in world rugby but never really going to have the opportunity to showcase his talents on the world stage. Ok he takes Italy to world cups but as the case with Italy it then all goes a bit wrong. Not his fault, not really Italy's fault. They always give it a damn good go but you have to admit that if he had been born in one of the more established rugby nations then by now his name would be synonymous with being a world class no.8. This idea would give him the opportunity to play against the best and actually compete for a change. I'm not saying he would be a shoe-in for the NH starting XV as there are notable competitors, but you catch my drift.

Look at the phenomenon that is the British & Irish Lions tour. Must have started somewhere and it has grown massively in popularity over the years. The rugby monarchy and 'knowledge' are always extolling the SH and panning the NH. Well let's have the best XV's from both hemispheres against each other and see who comes out on top....

Could be interesting? Or dead in the water?

Well Parisse was born in the country that just took fourth place at the Rugby World Cup.

It's been talked about before - but I think it is a bit of a logistical nightmare - particularly if you want to do the match justice.

One thing I will say on Parisse - fantastic player. But he plays extremely loosely for a #8.

Compare him to Toby Faletau. Despite Italy almost always have fewer possession, and they played identical minutes, Faletau made over twice the number of tackles (65 - 32). He made less than Jamie Heaslip despite the same number of minutes (60-32). He made less than Billy Vunipola despite the same number of minutes (45-32). He averaged the least number of tackles of any number 8, per minutes played. That should not be the case when you play with the possession of Italy. Even Couley who was on for 20 less minutes, made 12 more tackles. Someone commented "Parisse seems everywhere", well yes he does, because he's so often in the back-line or receiving kicks on defense - that he is never lost in a ruck. He has some fantastic skills - so did a guy called Collin Burke in New Zealand. You you haven't heard the name it is because despite him being a #8 who drop kicked goals and chip kicked beatufiully - no team wanted a #8 playing that loose. I suspect that would be the base for any other NH team barring Italy.

You are aware Parisse carried Stade to a Top 14 ***le last year in the toughest most attritional league in the world?

Latest posts