• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

TRF's interview with legendary referee Jonathan Kaplan

Josh1

The Sidekick
Country Flag
UK
Your questions have been answered by the legendary referee, Jonathan Kaplan! They can be found below.

Q: Do you feel that referees these days consult the TMO too often for video reviews?

A. Referees are trying to make their decisions right and are making a conscious effort to merge with the demands of the modern game. I would not say there is an over reliance on technology but perhaps they do need to look at the personnel they are using at present. Not the best and the accuracy this year was the worst I have ever seen. The communication between the referee and the TMO needs refinement. I certainly believe that you need more ex referees in the box who can challenge the thinking of those on the field to get more decisions right. There are many games at the top flight being decided by poor communication and an over reliance on protocol when often the right decision is so obvious!

Q: What one match do you wish you could have refereed that you didn't?

A. I never got to referee a RWC Final which was a disappointment but I had many other special memories in the game over a really long period of time. For whatever reason, the ball just didn't bounce my way.

Q: Both players and referees make mistakes on the pitch. When you're aware that you've made an error, do you block it out of your mind immediately or does it prey on your mind for the entire game?

A. It is certainly a skill which needs to be developed by all referees. Towards the end of my career I made a mistake in a major test match and had to rely on all my years of experience to ensure that I didn't compensate for that obvious error.

Q: What is the funniest thing you have seen or heard on the pitch?

A. Nothing really stands out. Lots of chirps but it's all in the game, and when players cross the line we generally just settle things down. Too much at stake for players to be focused on being the funny man.

Q: The two referees, one game system has been used in Stellenbosch for the first time and in the Varsity Cup, what is your take on that? Do you think this system will be successful in the long run?

A. It is the way forward. The game has long gone past the one man show. There is so much at stake and if we concede that referees are human beings, then we also need to move into the space where we do not rely on one man’s whims to determine the outcome of major test matches. The reliance on teamwork has far greater gains than the obvious risks and financial implications. If we do not go this route, then rugby will constantly be beset by controversy when the human being called the referee makes the inevitable error in the hot seat. It's no good to moan about that after the fact. Something needs to be done about it. Yesterday was a good day.

Q: With hindsight, how much of an influence do you feel a captain can have on a referee?

A. Not in hindsight at all. It is the role of the captain to ensure that the aims of his team are not thwarted by inaccuracy or referees having an off day. This is professional sport we are talking about. The captains are often right in the messages they are trying to get across - they sometimes are not great at communicating this message clearly , but I suppose that there is a lot of frustration attached to it as well.

Q: What law or laws of the game would you change to make refereeing easier?

A. The scrum is the most inaccurately refereed facet of the game. It's not getting better either. Something needs to be done about this. Referees are not doing enough homework and the penalties being awarded are often game defining when they are clearly not that accurate. The maul is also becoming a huge issue, and it is threatening the shape of the game with both attack and defence being allowed to get away with murder.

Q: What can a referee do when a scrum repeatedly collapses and the referee doesn't know who is at fault?

A. The referee must do more homework. There are tools he can use to ensure compliance but he needs to know what he is looking for.

Q: Does a referee’s mind-set change when in the Northern and Southern Hemispheres?

A. I don't think so. I refereed each game according to what was unfolding in front of me. The North is behind the south. They have been for some time. Having said that I think in general the northern refs adjust reasonably well to the tactics and pace of the game, for the most part! For me the biggest problem is coaching of the bigger group. They don't have a coach at IRB level. They need one to tie up all the loose ends. On a regular and consistent basis. It's a massive issue, and the present system lends itself towards individualism and rampant inconsistency.

Q: We regularly see ex-players join commentary teams after they finish their playing careers. Do you think it would be beneficial to see ex-referees do the same, and why is it that we don't see this already?

A. I couldn't agree more. It is a complex game and the public deserve greater access to information. On a personal note, I have been trying for some time to get a gig doing exactly that, but for some reason, there is resistance to this idea. I will keep trying as I believe I can add huge value to the game!

Jonathan's book, "Call It Like It Is" is available on Amazon now with Hardback availability in the UK.

Great interview! Good to see some questions I'm sure we've often wondered answered. That last question particularly.

Interesting that Stations wouldn't want an experienced referee like Kaplan as an analayst, given some of the token jobs given to past players, who couldn't analyse an episode of Bear in the Big Blue House. It's not like Kaplan isn't a recognised figure in rugby either, very strange indeed.

Interesting that Stations wouldn't want an experienced referee like Kaplan as an analayst, given some of the token jobs given to past players, who couldn't analyse an episode of Bear in the Big Blue House. It's not like Kaplan isn't a recognised figure in rugby either, very strange indeed.

I was too. Especially as they spend most commentaries wondering what referees are up to and yet don't want to get an expert in the comm box to ask those questions. The NFL stations do it well when they bring a former head ref in on certain decisions to help the viewers understand the officials thought processes when making the calls.

Wonder if thats just SA related or if he's tried Sky etc etc

IWonder if thats just SA related or if he's tried Sky etc etc

Why should he be touting himself?

The TV companies should be looking for an ex Ref ..... Kaplan or A.N. Other!!

Real trouble is that ref's are unlikely to have agents to push their corner!!

As said above, NFL coverage is greatly enhanced by having former referees Mike Pereira and Mike Carey explain refereeing and booth review decisions during the game. Recently retired referees like Jonathan Kaplan and Alain Rolland would add a great deal to rugby coverage by similarly explaining calls during rugby games.

Something striking about the interview is that Kaplan feels referees aren't doing a good enough job preparing and also the need to introduce refereeing teams in top level games. I wonder did his obvious discontent with this aspect of the sport play a role in his decision to pack it in.

Why should he be touting himself?

The TV companies should be looking for an ex Ref ..... Kaplan or A.N. Other!!

Real trouble is that ref's are unlikely to have agents to push their corner!!

I wasn't saying he should be. Seems like he has ideas what he or others can bring yet the TV powers that be aren't on the same page.

I wasn't saying he should be. Seems like he has ideas what he or others can bring yet the TV powers that be aren't on the same page.

Not a criticism of your post but referring to JC's comment about trying to get a gig going!

I find his 'Northern Hemisphere is behind Southern Hemisphere' comment a great insight into Southern Hemisphere referees, and frankly disconcerting. How are they behind? Because they play to the rules?

If that's his true opinion then I'm glad he's retired.

This was great! I was particularly interested in his opinions on the two referee system. This is really the first I've paid attention to this concept, and I'm just wondering if touch judges are still used in this system. (Probably a discussion for another thread - not sure if there's one out there on the subject, or not.)

das

+1
Never rated him and certainly wouldn't want to hear his rubbish analysis on tv, that would drive me away from listening to the commentary.
I never rated him a a referee, not even slightly.
Steve Walsh is the man, the best rugby referee by a country mile, but he wouldn't be much chop on a guest panel because everytime he sees his reflection his concentration comes to a juddering halt.

+1
Never rated him and certainly wouldn't want to hear his rubbish analysis on tv, that would drive me away from listening to the commentary.
Steve Walsh is the man, the best rugby referee by a country mile, but he wouldn't be much chop on a guest panel because everytime he sees his reflection his concentration comes to a juddering halt.

I agree with you on Walsh now he has had his "second coming"!!! He was dreadful when he was a Kiwi and drank but for the last few years he has been top drawer !

+1

can't believe i'm going to agree with you about Walsh, he's much hated but a very good ref.

I find his 'Northern Hemisphere is behind Southern Hemisphere' comment a great insight into Southern Hemisphere referees, and frankly disconcerting. How are they behind? Because they play to the rules?

Maybe because they keep beating the tar out of us? Think you might be reading too much into that one... rugby wise, in general, the North is behind the South, and anyone who can't see that isn't qualified to be a rugby referee. Maybe he meant something else, but I doubt it...

Well, you have to look at it in context. In SA, we have one Sport-station, Supersport, which broadcasts all rugby games in SA and anywhere else in the world to the SA public. We have 2 rugby talk shows, an Afrikaans (Super-Rugby) and an English (Boots and All). Both of them have a panel of 3 or 4 former players. and they frequently do have referees to assist in analysis. For the Afrikaans show, they have Tappe Henning, who is the current SA Referees Mentor, and then for the English show they get Andre Watson.

Also, Jonathan Kaplan has his own website, where he give feedback on referee decision made the previous week. It's not that the boradcaster doesn't want him, it's that they already had people for that role, and they have been there before his retirement.

He gives the reason why he says that. "For me the biggest problem is coaching of the bigger group. They don't have a coach at IRB level. They need one to tie up all the loose ends. On a regular and consistent basis. It's a massive issue, and the present system lends itself towards individualism and rampant inconsistency"

Surely the recent performances by Jerome Garces and Romain Poite are evident of that.

This was great! I was particularly interested in his opinions on the two referee system. This is really the first I've paid attention to this concept, and I'm just wondering if touch judges are still used in this system. (Probably a discussion for another thread - not sure if there's one out there on the subject, or not.)

das

Yes das, the Touch judges are still used even with the 2 refs on the field. they still patrol the offside lines, and off-the-ball stuff. The 2 refs-system will be reintroduced this year in the Varsity Cup in SA, and I trust it will bring even better results that the inaugural season in which it was used.