Getofmeland

The Dorset Drinker
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Bath
shaggyblog.jpg

Well, it's a bit over half way through the Super Rugby season (week 10 has just been played as I write this blog), and as I gaze out my window and attempt to look south and peer over the equator, I see the snows a-meltin' and the geese are a-honkin', and I'm wondering what we can determine in terms of how the SANZAR countries are fairing for their World Cup preparations.

I guess the short answer is that it's too soon to tell, but as I don't want to set the record for the World's shortest blog, let me expand a little :D

The Australian conference seems to be sown up all ready, with the Queenland Reds seeming to have the first place position cemented, but the Warratah's having to chase the points to qualify in the top six.
Robbie Deans will probably be happy with the way some of his key players, such as Quade Cooper, Will Genia, and James O'Conner have performed, and also how some of the forwards on the fringe of selection have performed, but will be looking forward to David Pocock and Rocky Elsom from returning from injury.
Concerns: The injury to Drew Mitchell that may have ended his World Cup hopes, the poor form of the ACT Brumbies, the on-going concussion concerns of Berrick Barnes, and whether ball runners Tatafu Polota-Nau, and Wycliff Palu can last the distance without further injury.

The New Zealand Conference would have been a lot clearer cut to write about last week before the Highlanders defeated the Crusaders, but none the less, with the Blues, Crusaders, and Highlanders, all still legitimate chances to secure top spot, or perhaps a place in the top six, there's plenty for the All Black selectors to contemplate in terms of playing personnel and style.

Graham Henry will be pleased by the form of the surprise package, the Highlanders, in particular Adam Thomson and Ben Smith. The ongoing progress of Sonny-Bill Williams, and the form of fellow Crusaders Matt Todd and Robbie Fruean (although he's starting to look at little tired IMO), and the form of some of the Blues players, in particular Isaia Toeava, will also be pleasing.

Concerns: The Chiefs and the Hurricanes teams have failed to fire so far, but there are signs of some of the key players coming into form, such as Chiefs Centre Richard Kahui. Injuries are probably the main concern, with Dan Carter and Ritchie McCaw not recovering from theirs as quickly as first thought, first choice Centre Conrad Smith still injured and yet to hit form prior to injury, and Piri Weepu still to return to top class rugby, and injuries in the key positions of lock and in the number 10 jersey.

The South African Conference appears now to be a two horse race between the Sharks and the Stormers, with the Bulls scheduled to finish a distant third, and probably missing the play offs, unless they can win all of their remaining matches.

Pieter de Villiers will be encouraged by the defense that sides such as the Stormers have been able to consistently provide, and that the Tries have started to be scored in recent matches, in general, he'll be happy with the Springboks in the Sharks and Stormers, and some of the players in the Cheetahs and Lions, such as Sarel Pretorius who are putting pressure on the Bok incumbents, and will be looking forward to key players such as Heinrich Brussow, and Juan Smith returning from injury.

Concerns: The game plan – will the defensive game win out over the attacking game employed by other sides?
The lack of form from the defending champion Bulls side, and the form of some of the veteran Springbok players who are yet to hit the mark … are they past their best, and no longer a viable option, or are they just timing their form to peak at the right time.
… So you see, not much has changed since the start of the Super season … the same questions are waiting to be answered