• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Sharks open Super15 door for Gavin Henson

Intercept King JDV

Bench Player
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Stormers
Gavin Henson's former coach John Plumtree has opened the door for the Welsh Grand Slam winner to join the Sharks in the Super 15.

Plumtree coached Henson in Swansea when he first first broke through as a teenager and says that his his former protege is welcome in Durban if he wants to get away from Wales.

Henson made headlines earlier this week when it was revealed that he had split from his long term partner Charlotte Church and is said to want to return to rugby.

The Ospreys who Henson last played for say that they expect him back next season as he will be looking to push his way back into the Wales squad for the World cup.

Sharks boss John Plumtree has however issued an open invitation to Henson to move away from the Welsh rugby goldfish bowl.

Plumtree said: "I don't want to cut across the Ospreys because I know some of the people there. But if Gavin senses he needs a change of scenery he is welcome to come over here.

"He can give me a ring and we will see how the land is.

"The Super 14 would suit a flair player like Gav. He is a fantastic talent, someone who is too good not to be playing rugby.

"If there's a contract in place, that complicates things. But contracts don't always last." he told the Western Mail.

"I'm a fan and always have been. As a youngster he could do things on the pitch that hardly anyone else could do.

"In one game, I remember him spinning around and planting over a drop-goal from near the halfway line.

"It reminded me of Naas Botha in his prime."
Source

Ah would be very interesting to see Henson playing Super Rugby, only question is...Would he last half of the season?

Think he'd do well in the Super14 but i don't think he'd leave Ospreys/Wales until after the worldcup (that is if he comes back next season)
He mentions in the interview he still has things he wants to achieve, so i presume thats a HEC and a WC (or at least have a good bash at it either way)

It's all just speculation anyway "If Gavin wants to leave then he'd be welcome here" is basically what he's saying, but I bet most teams in the world would be interested in signing him

How long is he out of the game now - 18 months? It'd be a big risk throwing large sums of money at him at this stage. His name recognition could pull in some extra punters in Europe though I'm not sure he'd have the same pull south of the equator.

I'm not bothered where he plays, I just want to see him playing and getting back to the player he was. At the end of the day where ever he plays, as long as he gets games under his belt and gets back to form and fitness it can only benefit Wales

Not sure Durban falls in the "closer to London than Swansea is" category :p

If Gav foes to Durban for a few moths he will fit right it at Sarries:D.

I dont think Henson will join the Sharks...

Latest posts