• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Sharks vs. Lions, Durban 17:00, 7 August (I think)

Seaton

First XV
Club or Nation
Sharks
Here are the line-ups (Sharks first of course ;)):

Sharks team: Louis Ludik, JP Pietersen, Stefan Terblanche (captain), Andries Strauss, Lwazi Mvovo, Patrick Lambie, Charl McLeod, Ryan Kankowski, Willem Alberts, Keegan Daniel, Alistair Hargreaves, Steven Sykes, Jannie du Plessis, Craig Burden, Beast Mtwarira.
Reserves: Bismarck du Plessis, Eugene van Staden, Ross Skeate, Jean Deysel, Jacques Botes, Rory Kockott, Riaan Swanepoel.

Xerox Lions: Jaco Taute; Deon van Rensburg, Waylon Murray, Doppies la Grange, Michael Killian; Elton Jantjies, Jano Vermaak; Warren Whiteley,Trevor Hall, Derick Minnie, Franco van der Merwe (capt), George Earle, Kevin Buys, Martin Bezuidenhout, JC Janse van Rensburg.
Reserves: Edgar Marutlulle, Ross Geldenhuys, David Bulbring, Ronaldo Bothma, Chris Jonck, Carlos Spencer, Marius Delport.

So... All is set for an interesting game at the Shark Tank on Saturday.
Obviously a lot of focus will been on the fly-half duel between 19-year old Elton Jantjies and age-wise Patrick Lambie.

Jantjies looked good at the u20 world championships, and has also looked the part whenever coming on, and impressed me with the way he handled the game against the Bulls, his first start for the Lions.

Ryan Kankowski, Beast, Jannie du Plessis, Louis Ludik, JP Pietersen, Jean Deysel/Willem Alberts and possibly Pat Lambie are in line for national contention if they play well, with Jano Vermaak looking to find a place in the Bok squad as well.
Allistair Hargreaves could also find himself selected, with Andries Bekker in the sick bay.

The Lions have a fairly young team who played well against the Bulls, and will be looking to stake a claim in the Lions team for next year. I am anticipating seeing all the young players on show, with Lambie, Jantjies, Jacob Taute, Waylon Murray and a few other Lions players still under 23.

Mon the Might Sharks!

Last edited:
That's a cracking Sharks team. Lions to ship 45?

Sharks to show some pain.

Bismarck on the bench along with Skeate. Good squad that.

For some very strange reason I predict this game to end up as a high-scoring draw!Something like 32-all...Either that or the Sharks might make a new nokia, 54-12:p

The biggest threat is underestimating the Lions. This is maybe the best Sharks team since 2007 with Terblanche playing like a 22 year old. I keep on saying he would be a good full back for the Boks in stead of Kirchner.

I doubt I will enjoy the game with Straus likely to taint the ball with his touch (assuming he actually catches the ball)
I hope he gets injured, would actually prefer Dumand playing instead of him

Although I agree with you on seeing rather Dumond than Strauss it's not nice to wish an injury onto someone. I am sure we can have Strauss give it a go. It's the Lions we play, not WP or the Bulls.

What a thrilling first half!!! Deysel unfortunately had to go off with an injury within 5 minutes but Botes is doing okay to replace him. 2 tries for the Sharks by Lambie and Botes and 2 penalties by Lambie got them to 18 points.

The Lions are better than I expected. Jantjies is doing great as fly-half and Terblanche with a big mistake was responsible for the try. A short kick straight into the hands of van Rensburg. Lions on 16.

18-16 at half time but what's more fascinating is the tackle count. Lions made 67 tackles against 12 for the Sharks. It tells the story more than the scoreline. The Sharks are much, much more dangerous and I assume they will win.

Best players so far: Lambie, Burden and Botes

Absolutely MASSIVE tackle from Willem Alberts!

Second half started. Lions get a penalty for a tackle by Alberts but there wasn't even something wrong with it. 2 Penalties already, 1 each. 21-19.

In the minutes after that the Sharks knocked out the Lions by 2 tries (Mvovo and Burden) which both were intercepted passes of the Lions. Bonus point gained with the 4th try.

Jantjies didn't have a good second half. Before being replaced in the 62nd minute he was very sloppy in his kicking and passing but he is still 19 so a lot of time to grow still.

Mvovo scored a second try when the game was already decided for certain. Lambie going off with scoring an incredible amount of 26 points! That guy together with Mvovo, Burden and Daniel will be making his Bok-debut very soon. The Lions were harmless in the second half. Almost a 6th try by Swanepoel in the 82nd minute but he stepped on the line before touching down.

Final score 49-19 and an amazing performance by the Sharks. Definitely the strongest side together with WP this year.

Here is a tip...
Never go and watch a game when you have tonsilitis, especially if you sit out in the open.

On the game...
I felt the Mvovo and Burden intercepts were offside, but can those who watched on TV comment on this?
What were the commentators saying about the scrums? It looked like Beast was going in too low, or the other prop wasing going in to high. Comments?
Burden did well in the line-outs, some good runs to but I just hope he doesn't start becoming greedy (aka revert to being a back), as he had multiple chances to pass to Terblanche/Mvovo/Pietersen in the first half, but tried to go it alone, and nothing came of those attacks.
Felt Hargreaves had a good game, Alberts got man of the math and no-more needs to be said of Lambie!

On Strauss...
Aaargh!!! He had a good game, there I said it, still don't think he should play ahead of an even off-form Swanepoel, he is older and less physical than him, so there is a lot more potential in Swanepoel.

What erked me...
Not being able to watch the Griquas-Province game, seriously, they showed the u21s playing on TV at the stadium, when they were playing at the stadium!?!

I am downloading the match now and will review the Burden and Mvovo try and comment on that for you.

PS: I'll send you the WP-Griquas game okay?

Where are you downloading it Ezequiel, a lot of the times I can't watch some of the matches...

I cannot say that here I think. Just send me a PB and I will tell you all about it

Hey LH,

I just reviewed it on my laptop and the Mvovo isn't offside. The Burden-try looks like offside but it's right on the edge. Too difficult to see, even in the replay. I delayed the play of the match myself even but I couldn't see if it was offside or not.

When there's doubt, the advantage should go to the attacking team right? Not because I am a Sharks-fan but I don't see a reason to disallow these 2 tries.

I suppose the referee can't make a decision if he isn't sure, so he would not have been able to make a call ruling it out.

Once again, thanks for the offer

Rumours doing the rounds in Durban are that Deysel's injury is a serious ankle injury, and could possibly be a fracture.
Oh joy...

Last edited:
I watched the first 4 minutes and I have seen what caused the injury.

When Deysel goes down after 1:28 McLeod is rushing to recycle the ball but at 1:30 he steps on Deysel's ankle resulting in the injury because from that moment on he's struggling to walk.

It's even more frustrating to know that a teammate caused the injury of our human wrecking ball

deysel.png

Well, that would most likely be an ankle fracture then, which means he could be out for 6-10 weeks.

I do not know if you can hear it on 'tv', but when Kockett comes on for McLeod, there is a massive roar from the crowd.
He really does add something extra to the team and supporters as opposed to McLeod

I heard that. Kockott is a player who always wants to prove himself. He does everything he can and never gives the impression he's holding back. Even with a 48-19 score he wants to add more to the tally. He's a great player as scrum-half and even fly-half.

What surprised me once again is how strong Daniel is. Man o man. That guy looks like a fly but has the strength of a prop. People say he cannot make the Bok squad because of the lack of physical strength but in my opinion he is stronger than most back-row players now in the Bok-squad. And what a game from Alberts. That tackle that was penalized was amazing! Nothing wrong with it. Even the commentators said so. Even the Lions Coach John Mitchell said so after wards.

Again a great game from the Sharks. I watched the match 3 times now and have to say that even Strauss did okay.