• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Sharks!

latest:

"Sharks boss John Plumtree has admitted concern over whether Springbok prop Tendai Mtawarira will be fit for the start of the season.

Matwarira was forced to return home from South Africa's November tour after after mild heart palpitations in the build-up to the Test with Ireland.

The prop is suffering from an irregular intermittent heart problem and has undergone two procedures in recent years.

"We've lost Dale [Chadwick] for four to six weeks with a stress fracture in his foot," said Plumtree to the Sharks' website.

"We can't afford to have any upsets with Beast [Mtawarira] now, we lost him for a long period last year.

"So there is a little bit of pressure there, but I am excited about Allan Dell, he's a good young prop coming through our system."

"I am well, so there is really no need to worry," said Mtawarira.

"The procedure went well. It's only a minor procedure and sometimes it needs to be done more than once to clear the palpitations. This is something that has happened to me before and that can be treated. Also, it's not career-threatening.

"Sometimes I get quite excited before a game and that is probably what triggered it."

not a nice scenario, Stormers had way worse first at fly-half, then at flank, sure the mighty Sharks can overcome this as well

Chadwick being out injured is not a concern. It just opens the door for Allan Dell.

This.

Chadwick offers nothing I am afraid. Has no discernible technique when engaging (looks like he has never been coached before in scrumming), doesn't have the strength to not be pushed around, as a result of the first point is constantly penalised, has no presence in the loose and is just another body in the way in the tight.

Maybe a little harsh, but I don't see what others do in him, very few skills and none that he is particularly good at.

Whilst I feel bad for having a go at Dale, I must echo the comments of Eze and Seaton.
We have more promising players to focus on.

Looks like Conrad Hoffmann is no longer a Shark.
Time to bring Venter through?

Hoffmann is retiring from professional rugby due to his injuries. We have Hanco Venter and Draggs lovechild Gavin Hauptfleisch who can be our 3rd choice scrum half.

Hauptfleisch is a standoff. Stefan Ungerer was the other U21 scrum half.
I am surprised at the negativity surrounding Reinach. He shows more attacking instinct than McLeod ever has.

Hauptfleisch plays both scrummie and fly-half, but we have enough talent there.

Hauptfleisch is a standoff. Stefan Ungerer was the other U21 scrum half.
I am surprised at the negativity surrounding Reinach. He shows more attacking instinct than McLeod ever has.

Where is the negativity coming from???

Reinach is 10 times the better scrummie than Mcleod will ever be...

Reinach will push for a Springbok spot in the next two years, I rate him very highly

Reinach will push for a Springbok spot in the next two years, I rate him very highly

That's a big statement. Well maybe not all that big. I won't risk a prediction though. FdP seems to be adamant about his retirement which is probably a good thing but the guys with the Bok experience in Pienaar and Hougaard havn't looked at all convincing so far. Hougaard offers some danger with ball in hand and Pienaar some game management but both have failed in their primary role so far IMO. That leaves the door wide open for guys like Vermaak, Reinach and another guy I rate highly Piet van Zyl (though he seems to be behind Pretorius ATM at the Cheetahs?). I'm sure we'll have a better idea once the season has gotten underway.

Meyer shouldn't be looking for the next FdP IMO, rather he should see who is quickest to distribute the ball with the best pass and offering some danger around the fringes so as to give our future 10's in Goosen, Lambie and Jantjies the time they need and trust them with the game management.

Last edited:
Where is the negativity coming from???

Reinach is 10 times the better scrummie than Mcleod will ever be...

Sparksworld. Some SA team needs to look at bringing Kockott back in 2014.
I love little Cobus, he is fighting with Jonathan Evans for the 9 shirt in my Draggs XV. I like Nic Groom as well, two bright young players. Schreuder is also decent, along with van Zyl.

Sparksworld. Some SA team needs to look at bringing Kockott back in 2014.
I love little Cobus, he is fighting with Jonathan Evans for the 9 shirt in my Draggs XV. I like Nic Groom as well, two bright young players. Schreuder is also decent, along with van Zyl.

I wish we'd play Groom as 1st choice this year but knowing AC we'll probably have Duvenhage 1st up with Schreuder on the bench and Groom (the only 9 to give quick ball at WP) moving to France.

Well, the risks of playing pre-season games were shown again today. The Sharks played very well against the Leopards, but they have serious injury concerns. Tim Whitehead has likely broken his arm while captain Keegan Daniel suffers from a torn
MCL...

Luckily, the center and backrow positions are the ones best covered within the squad. With Daniel out, we have Coetzee, Botes (openside), Kankowski (8 man). For inside center we can rely on Steyn, Bosman and James but these injuries really suck.

Horseshit, I'd rather lose the match than players.
Granted, we have Botes, so no cause for alarm.

Heyo

Been missing in action for a while I know but I need some help for my Fantasy Rugby team.

I had Keegan as one of my backrowers but it would seem he is out at the moment due to the injury from the leopards game, is Willem Alberts gonna be playing in the backrow this season, I mean he's not injured is he ?

I've got him as my substitute for Keegan.

Willem will play but rotation will make him a bad choice imho, Kanko a better points machine if you wanna stick to a Sharls loosie

Not a big fan of Alberts starting, and I don't think my fellow Sharks believer Eze us either.
Alberts bench, loose trio of Deysel, Botes, and Kankowski. I like Marcell but he doesn't have as defined of a role.

I prefer Coetzee over Deysel but it all depends on the opponent and the weather.

When we play tight games, I prefer Deysel over Coetzee and when we play on a wet field or in the rain, put Deysel at 8 and bench Kanko.

Alberts should not be anywhere near a starting role but knowing Plumtree, he will be the first name on the match sheet every weekend.

I prefer Coetzee over Deysel but it all depends on the opponent and the weather.

When we play tight games, I prefer Deysel over Coetzee and when we play on a wet field or in the rain, put Deysel at 8 and bench Kanko.

Alberts should not be anywhere near a starting role but knowing Plumtree, he will be the first name on the match sheet every weekend.

Alberts at fullback?!?!? Oh god...

Latest posts