• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Shaun Pollock announces retirement

B

BokMagic

Proteas allrounder Shaun Pollock has announced his retirement from international cricket at the end of the current series against the Windies.

Polly has played for SA in 108 tests, taking to date 420 test wickets at 23 runs apiece, and 3781 runs at 32. He`s also taken 387 ODI wickets at present, and will have 4 more ODI`s in the upcoming series.

Known for his uncanny line just outside offstump, he has lost a lot of pace over the years, although none of the control and guile. So he ended up losing out on a regular test spot for the last 12 months, although he`s still remained a fixture in the ODI side.

Naurally respected, pretty laid back and with a very underapreciated dry sense of humour, he was a natural choice to succeed Hansie Cronje as Proteas skipper in the wake of the match-fixing scandal. He had some initial success, winning a 3-match ODI series down under 2-1, but ended up on the wrong end of a 3-0 test series drubbing in Oz, before SA ended up bowing out in the 1st round of the CWC in 2003 on home soil, which ended his reign as captain.

So a pretty special career it was, having had considerable individual success against all comers, although the absence of a CWC winner`s medal and team success against England in England and Australia anywhere continued to elude him.

Thanks for the years of yeoman service, for the runs, the wickets, the catches, the moments and the memories. And thanks for always playing your cricket in the spirit of the game. Well done mate, have a cold one or 12!

I always really enjoyed watching Pollock bowl. I remember back in 2002/2003 when they played quite a few one dayers and tests against Australia (or was it a year earlier?) and it was always a joy to see Pollock, McGrath, Kallis and Lee bowl. I enjoy watching actions of certain bowlers lol...

Probably my favourite memory of Shaun Pollock is when in SA, Brett Lee hit him for 27 off one over. Fast bowler against fast bowler. Terrific stuff!...for Australia anyway...

He was a bloody good bowler though and a great man from what I saw in interviews and whatnot. Hats off to a stellar career!

:cryy: I will miss Pollock because he was one of the greatest players in South Africa. Hope he will help with development if cricket.

The kind of guy who could teach many others about good, hard sportsmanship. Hopefully not the final chapter in the Pollock legacy. One of the worlds finest ginga's starting his career looking for all the world like a Richie Cunninghame (Happy Days) clone.

One of the great ODI all-rounders. His name will be remembered alongside Ian "Beefy" Botham, Imran Khan, Kapil Dev, Richard Hadlee, Shane Warne and Was-He AKrim (Wasim Akram).

Polly has offically played his last match for SA. He hit the winning runs, as the cherry on the top, to secure a white wash series beating the Windies 5-0 in the ODI's.

A great send off to a great player, and even greater man

Latest posts