Short/small flankers

Discussion in 'General Rugby Union' started by whatamunson, May 13, 2009.

1. whatamunson

whatamunson Guest

Having a bit of a discussion the other day about small flankers, my mate reckons there are none or at least none that have been any good.
    I disagreed using the low body position for tackling and burrowing for the ball argument but could only back that up using Neil Back as an example!!
    Do any of you guys on here know of any other players past or present, pref present, to help back up my point???

Many thanks :bonne-de:

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Charles

Charles Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (whatamunson @ May 13 2009, 04:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Serge Betsen 1,82 m

George Smith 1,80 m

Phil Waugh 174 cm (5 ft 9 in)

Nili Latu 1.85 m (6 ft 1 in)

Marty Holah 6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)

And plenty of others...

4. Flux

Flux Guest

I don't think Richie McCaw's the biggest guy going around... Wiki says 6'1.

Michael Jones and Martyn Williams are the same height and Scott Waldrom's only about 5'9.

5. Woldog

Woldog Guest

George Smith is tiny, was standing behind him at the Reds game, and he was puny, except his shoulders are like 10 meters wide.

6. Hall

Hall Guest

Steffon Armitage was one of the form Opensides in the GP last season. He's only 5'9. Admittedly not world class yet but he could be...

7. alexrugby

alexrugby Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Charles @ May 13 2009, 07:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Is 182 cm height small? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

8. Hall

Hall Guest

That's smaller than me, so for an international flanker... yes!

9. candybum

candybum Guest

We all know its the skill and not the height that makes a flanker... ahh lol

10. Hall

Hall Guest

Well obviously, but it's still short.

11. tommowins

tommowins Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (whatamunson @ May 13 2009, 01:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    tommowins 1,65 m

Just tell him that and you will win the debate.

12. alexrugby

alexrugby Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (candybum @ Jun 17 2009, 01:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Agree agree agree

But actually demands of teams pose great efforts on flankers

That's why I think Skill costs more than height

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!