• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Too small for openside?

Reacher1

Academy Player
I'm currently a 12 playing over in England but would love to play in the back row. I'm 19 years old by the way, is I'm not sure I'm big enough, I've worked hard in the gym over the last 12 months and have got myself to around 83 kilos. Problem is I'm only 173 cm (bit less than 5'9 at most) so I'm worried about putting too much weight on and not being mobile enough.

I pride myself on my cardio and I'll tackle all day long. I love hitting rucks in defence and I'm good over the ball, have decent handling skills and footwork.

What do you think

You need to be careful here. Your height is going to be an issue unless you're incredibly skilled at the breakdown. At 19, the chances are that you won't grow an awful lot more so what you don't want to do is outgrow your frame. What will happen is that you'll risk losing any pace you have and you'll end up struggling to play any other position. Even at 12 you're a little on the small side really depending on how you play the game.

Your height, to me, suggests 9 or 10. If you can have decent ball handling skills, good cardio and can pass a ball I'd recommend you play at 9. If you can hold your own in defence as well that will only benefit you if you want to play at a higher level. Being good over the ball normally means you'll have a strong core which will help you at the base of the ruck as well.

It's down to you and your coach though but if I was picking a team of lads your age and if you're attributes and physical measurements are correct, I'd probably be looking at playing you at scrum half personally.

In the long run, I think it will benefit you. If you can play though and are a ball handler who can beat a man, you don't want to be hitting ruck after ruck. 9 is the way to go for you IMO.

Last edited:
Depending not on how far you want to go height shouldn't become an issue till Elite rugby TBF.

Neil Back was only 5"10 but he did weigh a bit more.

Thacker is playing AP rugby Is only a bit smaller and is playing hooker.

You will need to be looking at getting to around 90kg IMO though.

You want to be looking at adding

Being smaller helps at the breakdown and chop tackling. If you've got good power and strength then you shouldn't have any issues.

As tigs says depends on how high up you want to play.

A lot of the best jackals are short, although they're usually stocky so they're difficult to move - think Steffan Armitage shape.

Michael Hooper - 6ft 0in
Steffon Armitage - 5ft 9in
George Smith - 5ft 11in

All 3 have played internationally at 7. 7 is 1 of the most mouldable positions on the field, you can be 6'4 or 5'8. As long as you're good at the breakdown, have a hig work rate and tackle frequently and effectively you're set. Regardless of size.

Latest posts