• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Shoul schoolboys take protein supplements

superrprop

Academy Player
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leinster
Just wondering as i've been toying with the idea as am sick of playing schools who we can match for skill level but are just too big because of supplements

Two things ...

1. Moved to the correct area on the forum.
2. Why is there no poll ... <_<

Are they Catholic choir boys?

In that case, no, they shouldn't.

Just wondering as i've been toying with the idea as am sick of playing schools who we can match for skill level but are just too big because of supplements

Being Samoan is not a supplement.

Schoolboys as in under 18s?

No you shouldn't need any. Get shoulder pads, headgear and go mental, get 2 guys in every tackle. Rush up and cut down their space. Unless your playing guys who compete regularly against adults i don't think there is need for supplements. Maybe just more gym work if you feel understrength-ed?

Your diet should match your training. If you boys are doing gym work to get bigger, but aren't eating enough to fuel growth, then yes supplements are an option. At the same time, you can get bigger and better by increasing caloric intake post-workout to fuel recovery and growth. It all comes down to what it is you're trying to do.

Eating three big meals a day and adding in a post-lifting supplement that is high in carbs and has a 2:1 Carb:protein ratio will help get you there. Just make sure you're doing enough gym work to keep all of those extra calories from turning to fat.

I don't think its because of supliments.. you can down all the protein shakes you like but that alone wont help any, if these guys are so much bigger than you its because they are putting more hard yards in at the gym than you are and thats your fault..
Taking a protein supliment is just like having a steak really, its not a miricle growth hormone.

I don't think its because of supliments.. you can down all the protein shakes you like but that alone wont help any, if these guys are so much bigger than you its because they are putting more hard yards in at the gym than you are and thats your fault..
Taking a protein supliment is just like having a steak really, its not a miricle growth hormone.

Trust me I'm putting in the work by certain standards I'm big at 5 10 and 85 kg but in the cup I came up against a 6 3 17 stone monster

In fairness i'm 15. I'm also taller than domingo and second heaviest on my team plus I'm a very good scrummager not so good in the loose but still...

Dont worry about weights or that yet...85 kg at the age of 15 is plenty heavy for the age level you are playing if I were you I would get your hands on a good scrum coach for an hour or two to get your technique nigh perfect ..once you have that right there wont be much to stop you no matter how freakishly built they are...

Of course if you intend on playing SCT do transition year and spend it in the gym ingesting a fuckload of steak.

Yeah cheers already got jack mcgrath in few months back was already good loosehesd he made me a good tighthead as well

Trust me I'm putting in the work by certain standards I'm big at 5 10 and 85 kg but in the cup I came up against a 6 3 17 stone monster

By whos standards are you big.. for a halfback maybe? You had to be over 90 aproaching 100kg to prop for my old schools under 15 side, you best have killer technique. My main point is that suppliments are most probably not the reason they are bigger, genes has a big role to play, then a quality gym program is important after that. Protein shakes and creatine are only a tiny part of the equation.
What is your gym program like?

Latest posts