• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Should Gareth Thomas Retire at the end of the World Cup?

A

aussie_pride

Article on the BBC

If I were Gareth Jenkins I would be doing everything possible to ensure that Gareth Thomas is around for another 4 years. Why? not because he is a match winner but because hes a leader and a warrior who holds the back line together. Id keep him and play him at fullback where I believe he is best suited. By playing him there he can come into the game and use his experience and guile to put his fellow outside backs in space.

I know many people will be saying that his body couldn't cope with the physical nature of international rugby but you have to remember Gareth Thomas is arguable one of the best defensive backs in the world. Granted he has lost most of his speed. For that reason, fullback is probably best for him. In modern rugby you need to a fair bit of pace to play in the outside backs, and for that reason his days of playing centre and wing are over.

Id keep him because if Wales are ever going to go past the quarter finals they need players of his experience and caliber....what do you guys think?

Yeap. Just keep him there.

1) He looks like a convict

2) e plays like a convict

3) He cheats like a convict

4) He wins like a convict (If Wales wins at all)

Very good choice at fullback. Not sure about his kicking prowess but his defensive qualities are excellent.

If I were Gareth Jenkins I would be doing everything possible to ensure that Gareth Thomas is around for another 4 years. [/b]
He's going to be 37-38 in four years time. Are you taking the ****?

Could possibly have a role to play on the coaching staff but no way as a player after the WC

The guy's a nutcase.
As a player i very much like and appreciate everything he has done for Wales. But as a person, when i hear interviews with him i just get the impression that he's like so many other Valleys Boys...an utter ******.
He would more than likely be detrimental to the Welsh team if all he inputted was his vocalities.

Let him play for as long as he performs - if he drops in form then drop him, just like any other player.

Latest posts