• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Should i play college rugby

tylernuttall

Academy Player
Country Flag
United States
Club or Nation
United States
Hey I was wondering if i am too small to play college rugby, im 6'0 175 pounds, im pretty fast, but not that strong. I went to a rugby meeting for my school, and it seemed that all the guys were alot bigger than me, i played in highschool as a winger. Im not scared to get beat up, im scared of serious injury, should i wait and get bigger before i join, or should i just go ahead and join?

Play.

You can be as big as you like, the potential for serious injury remains. Some of the game's biggest players have been the most injury prone.

And do weights at the same time, obviously, to increase your strength. But go and play. You can always stop if there really is a genuine problem.

Hey I was wondering if i am too small to play college rugby, im 6'0 175 pounds, im pretty fast, but not that strong. I went to a rugby meeting for my school, and it seemed that all the guys were alot bigger than me, i played in highschool as a winger. Im not scared to get beat up, im scared of serious injury, should i wait and get bigger before i join, or should i just go ahead and join?

I'd definetly join. Your about the same weight (and a bit taller) then many of the backs in my team, and even a few forwards. I play Colts grade (U21) but the same players do well when playing for the "B" teams or Premier Club teams when called up. As long as you are pretty quick, then the size shouldn't matter. Look at David Smith, David Lemi and Shane Williams. All very small wingers who are very successful.

Yeah give it a go mate. Nothing like being part of a team. That's the beauty of rugby, it's a sport for all shapes and sizes. I'm 5'10" & weigh 189 pounds but play in the same team as my older bro who is 6'3" and weighs 275 pounds. I must admit I'm the smallest in the team, even the halfback is bigger than me haha. I play 2nd 5.

I'm 1m83, 80kg (which is pretty much the same height/weight as you), and I play outside center (13) at a fairly good level, so yes, you should definitely join your team. Even professional rugby players like Nick Abendanon (Fullback, Bath), Morgan Parra (Scrum-Half, Clermont), Frédéric Michalak (Fly-Half, Natal Sharks), Freddie Burns (Fly-Half, Gloucester), Nicolas Bézy (fly-half/scrum-half, Toulouse, he played the U21 world cup this year) are about 80kg, and they are facing opponents who are much bigger than the ones you and me will be facing !

And bear in mind that 80kg of muscle will always be better than 95kg of fat !

I'm about that height and weight and played some college rugby in the US without a problem.

Actually, "playing" is a bit of an exaggeration: on erasmus I went to two practices and then decided I'd just party instead. Anyway, I was smaller than most, but really was up to the level.

@Ze Frenchy

It's because you're French, you naturally gifted :lol:

Go play and enjoy it ..don't worry about injury.. you could be hit by a bus crossing the road any day sure , the chance of a little broken bone for the sport you love is well worth risking.

Latest posts