• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Shute Shield

skittles

Academy Player
Country Flag
Australia
Club or Nation
Brumbies
Surely there are other Shute Shield fans around. Finals start this weekend, with all matches being shown on ABC.

Finals Draw (all matches 3pm kickoff):

Week 1:

18th September - Sydney University v Eastern Suburbs at Coogee Oval
19th September - Manly v Randwick at TG Millner Field

Week 2:

25th September - Eastwood v TBC at Woollahra Oval
26th September - Southern Districts v TBC at University Oval No. 1

Week 3:

2nd October - Grand Final at Concord Oval (Waratah Stadium)

I'm really bloody scared that Sydney University will end up winning this thing again. Eastwood are obviously in the box seat, but Sydney Uni trampled them at Eastwood last time they played. I'll probably go to the match on the 26th, and most definitely go to the Grand Final. Would've gone to see Randwick if they were playing at Coogee Oval, but can't see myself making the trip to Eastwood unless I have enough money to turn it into a decent day (i.e.: train, entrance, pie, drink, another pie, another drink...maybe another drink, hell, if we play as badly as we did today, I'll need it)

The venue where I get my rugby matches has yet to post up a Shute Shield Match this year... I'm saddened by that as I really like the competition.

Well, guess I'm not going to the University Oval semi-final that's within walking distance of me, because it's on the same day as my Nan's 90th birthday party. If that ends up being the Randwick game, I may end up sitting in the corner with a portable radio.

Which reminds me, I need to buy a portable radio. ;)

Pretty much, although obviously the Super 14 players who play when they're not playing Super 14 or internationals aren't amateurs. I'm pretty sure that at least the Super 14 players get some sort of match payment, don't know about the regular blokes, because my mate who coaches at Eastwood said that Matt Dunning always gives his match payment back to the club. Can't see it being much though.

And...I have my ticket to the Shute Shield grand final! Never actually been to a grand final involving my team of any sport. Randwick are in the grand final in all four grades. Time to empty out the camera's memory card and get set for a LONG day at Concord Oval. :D

is this comp fully amateur?

No it is not. Cristian Westenenk (Chile) plays for Manly and is on a contract. It is not great money but he is a paid professional. He got two tries in the elimination semi final vs Randwick but Manly played badly and lost 29-25.

I posted a piece about the 2010 Shute Shield Final with reference to Westenenk on my site earlier today. Check it out - http://rugbyworldcup-argentina2023.blogspot.com/

Hopefully Randwick can win.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it was yesterday, and Randwick lost 3 of the 4 grades. Won thirds, but lost in fourths closely, lost less closely in seconds, and got demolished in firsts. Stuart Dickinson seemed to forget that lineout throws had to be straight and we were on the back foot most of the first half, and completely exhausted the entire second half, and they just ran all over the top of us.

Latest posts