• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Sin-Bin rule and draw

sigesige00

Bench Player
In the Super Rugby, there was a draw game.

Reds 25-25 Blues

19 03 2016

I believe that this game had to be Reds' win.
The reason is that there was a Blues player (18 Sione Mafileo) in sinbin at the end of game.
If sinbin time finished before the end of game, the sinbin player was penalised enough. But, if there were still sinbin time at the end of game, the sinbin player were still being penalised. So in this case, a win must be awarded to Reds. :huh:

In the Super Rugby, there was a draw game.

Reds 25-25 Blues

19 03 2016

I believe that this game had to be Reds' win.
The reason is that there was a Blues player (18 Sione Mafileo) in sinbin at the end of game.
If sinbin time finished before the end of game, the sinbin player was penalised enough. But, if there were still sinbin time at the end of game, the sinbin player were still being penalised. So in this case, a win must be awarded to Reds. :huh:

What do you propose should have happened if Mafileo had been red carded instead?

What do you propose should have happened if Mafileo had been red carded instead?

In the case of 2nd yellow card, the player is sent off, and another player join play after 10 mins (time is same as 1st yellow card).
In the case of straight red card, penalty should be more tough (maybe longer time before another player can join play, or penalty try for the opponents?)

And I think that the place of sinbin player is wrong. Sinbin player must be behind own deadball-line, and return to pitch when the sinbin time ends (regardless of the situation of play).

The Junior Rugby World Cup had (not sure they still do) yellow/red cards as a tie breaker but only during knock out phases.

Didn't watch the game so can't fully comment, but from what I can see the Reds didn't take enough advantage of the yellow to get a try, and instead chose to go for goal and settle for the draw. They had 6 or so mins of play with a man advantage, plenty of time to get a try (Wales showed that against England), so no reason at all that they should have been awarded the win because of the yellow card.

And I think that the place of sinbin player is wrong. Sinbin player must be behind own deadball-line, and return to pitch when the sinbin time ends (regardless of the situation of play).

This isn't actually a bad idea, think Rugby League works like this too. Seems silly that players have to wait around for a stoppage and spend longer out of the game than they should.

If the 1995 World Cup final had finished in a draw after extra time, New Zealand would have won their second ***le due to a better disciplinary record than South Africa in the tournament.

Way back, before yellow & red cards, when the sin bin (also called "the cooler" in South Africa) was first introduced, it was five minutes, not 10. The player did indeed have to stand behind the dead ball line. However, the practice was discontinued because the player could not easily be treated for injury or kept warm. That might sound rather trite, but a player made to stand in one place for 10 minutes is at increased risk of injury when he comes back on.

At elite levels, there is a 4th official (a.k.a. the substitution controller) whose job it is to ensure that teams only use their permitted number of substitutions/replacements, and to tell the referee when subs & replacement are about to be made. Another part of the job is managing the yellow carded player's reintroduction to the game. All this takes place in the technical areas on the side of the playing enclosure. It would be difficult for him to do that task while keeping an eye on the sin binned player over 50m away.

The remaining sinbin time must be integrated into the results of games. In Cricket there is D/L method. Rugby should have a mathematical method like that.

There should be different length of sinbin times, like Ice Hockey. Maybe 2.5 mins, 5 mins, 10mins, and straight red card.
I like the sin bin system the way it is now. But to each his own.

The remaining sinbin time must be integrated into the results of games. In Cricket there is D/L method. Rugby should have a mathematical method like that.
did you just bump your own thread from four years ago?

Speaking of draw, i have been saying for a while now that the draw needs to be removed from rugby. Play until there is a win. Like American sports. They have the right idea. Draws don't occur often, but when it does, nobody wants it. Remove the unwanted part of the game.

Speaking of draw, i have been saying for a while now that the draw needs to be removed from rugby. Play until there is a win. Like American sports. They have the right idea. Draws don't occur often, but when it does, nobody wants it. Remove the unwanted part of the game.

In some American sports that is, we still have draws (or ties) in Major League Rugby, National Football League and Major League Soccer. Although I do wish they'd remove them too. Keep playing until there's a winner!

i like draws, sometimes teams just go punch for punch and are evenly matched, giving the game to the first team to get their nose in front doesn't sit well with me, points for a draw also add something different to a comp, teams might just make the finals or just miss them because they were evenly matches

Latest posts