• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Slater to union?

I think the Aussies were very gracious in defeat...especially the Aussie commentators who would rank as the most unbiased commentators in sport (I know cos they always applaud the Warriors). They may have been arrogant leading up to the final but THEY ARE JUSTIFIED to do so cos they thrashed everyone. England on the other had had one win in the tournament...a close one against PNG.

When money is not an issue (rugby money would be bigger)...and he has achieved all their is to achieve (this Saturday he will have won the only thing left to win) the only thing left is....greater fame.

Rugby would give Slater the bigger stage...the stage with more variety and more fans. It is tempting he like many other NRL players knows he is better than some of the ARU players around...if not better than all of them.

There are some players in the NRL who would seriously school some of the Wallabies. Inglis for example would make Mortlock look so yesterday and in fact I believe Inglis would be THE best centre in the world as a rugby player. Lockyer would have been a Christian Cullen type fullback in his early days and now in his later years he is good enough to be a brilliant first five. Willie Mason would have done the damage as a number eight and also as a third jumping option in the lineout. These players could have made a bigger splash in the bigger rugby world if they had switched.

Funny thing is there are loads of incredible Aussie athletes playing in the ARL...but we will be quiet about that goldmine and let them stay there where no one except Aussie Rules fams know who they are.

very good point..

I'm celebrating the ruining of your procession. I'm celebrating the ruining of your centenary year. I am celebrating the end of 30 plus years of breathtaking Australian arrogance. I am celebrating the saving of international rugby league. I'm well aware how bad England have been in this tournament - now let's concentrate on another failure, that of the Australians.

And of BILLY SLATER - EPIC FAIL.

We've got the most decorated full back in club rugby on the planet at the moment. He's not been playing as well as he has done for the previous two years but Paul Wellens is still our number one option at full back. I, however, hope he retires from England duty so the ungrateful fans can see things go from bad to worse with some joker at full back. Unless you want to listen to that bonehead Martin Offiah and play Danny McGuire at full back. I don't think McGuire has ever made a one on one tackle in his life.

Full back wasn't England's problem in the world cup, it was centres and second rowers and defending in general.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Nov 23 2008, 06:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'm celebrating the ruining of your procession. I'm celebrating the ruining of your centenary year. I am celebrating the end of 30 plus years of breathtaking Australian arrogance. I am celebrating the saving of international rugby league. I'm well aware how bad England have been in this tournament - now let's concentrate on another failure, that of the Australians.

And of BILLY SLATER - EPIC FAIL.[/b]

Maybe if you had spent less time celebrating others success and more time figuring out why England cant beat the skin of a custard, it might have been you playing New Zealand in the final and not Australia.

Seriously, 30 years - It only took 4 years to invent the atomic bomb

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Nov 23 2008, 05:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
We've got the most decorated full back in club rugby on the planet at the moment. He's not been playing as well as he has done for the previous two years but Paul Wellens is still our number one option at full back. I, however, hope he retires from England duty so the ungrateful fans can see things go from bad to worse with some joker at full back. Unless you want to listen to that bonehead Martin Offiah and play Danny McGuire at full back. I don't think McGuire has ever made a one on one tackle in his life.

Full back wasn't England's problem in the world cup, it was centres and second rowers and defending in general.[/b]

Like I said... we have zero options. It's either Wellens or Wellens. Not a good situation to be in.

Latest posts