So many penalties near the end

TheOvalBall

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
France
I've seen this so many times, it's like an unconscious habit of teams who are winning.

A team who is winning with very little time left, concede a huge number of penalties. Why is that ?
It has always bugged me.

Last edited:
Have to say, I'm surprised to see this question from yourself.
Cynicism - if you're opponent needs more than 3 points to win, you can afford the risk of giving away 3 points and making them build their attack again. Most of the those penalties are cynical, to stop them building a try scoring opportunity, or central in the pitch where it's tougher to defend, but also tougher to make ground by going for the corner.

Of course, if you do it too many times, you will get pegged back into the corner defending a line-out; but it's definitely the "smart" play

I had a few ideas about why it could be, but i wanted to read what others have to say.

Is the premise accurate - do we have any data to show your hunch is correct? Genuine question - based on observation I'd say you're probably right the though.

In that situation, the losing team tend to play a bit more aggressively because they have no choice, and the winning team tends to go into their shell because it's a normal psychological response. This means a momentum shift to the losing team being on top, and most penalties are always awarded to the team on top.

I agree with Tyler, which Tyler you ask? Don't know.
But it's mostly cynicism if they are more than 3 behind, or the ball is in the half of the losing team.

the ref is also more likely to see the offences in those situations I think.

also, the attackingteam is taking more risks, playing faster, which means there are more likely to be indiscretions from both teams as desperation takes hold to keep up. but the ref is less likely to see the indiscretions if the team behind for two reasons: firstly, and predominantly, referees are far more lenient on the attacking team; second, the ref unconsciously feels sorry for them, or wants to bring harmony, make peace between the teams.

I guess momentum is a big thing as well. If you're winning comfortably and start to relax a bit late on in the game, the momentum is more likely to go with the opposition if they're chasing points and are trying to get back into the match. When you're up against it like that, conceding penalties is one way of slowing the opposition down, particularly if you've got a decent sized lead.

I guess momentum is a big thing as well. If you're winning comfortably and start to relax a bit late on in the game, the momentum is more likely to go with the opposition if they're chasing points and are trying to get back into the match. When you're up against it like that, conceding penalties is one way of slowing the opposition down, particularly if you've got a decent sized lead.
It's just easier too. If you've got a big lead you can't be stuffed running around anymore, it's tiring. Just give away a penalty and amble yourself back to a lineout, hang around waiting for a scrum, or chill out watching someone take a kick.

Latest posts