• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

SOB lays into Gats

Doubt he'd be considered anyway. Underachieving with the players at his disposal with England.
I'd say that Lions (and BaaBaas) is pretty much tailored for him. He's genuinely good at building cohesion from disparate parts and getting short-term improvements. Just less good at holding it together over multiple years without message getting stale.
Good at tactical flexibility with new and interesting parts. Terrible at flexibility once players improve or change.

https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/status/1214949893825060864

Pretty crazy that he lost the respect of his players yet they ask him back to coach again

You've got to question the judgement of the old boys network that is the Lions committee. Going back to Gatland after the Geography 6 fiasco, him telling the media 'someone else can take the tour next time' and Sexton and Farrell ultimately ignoring Howley's instructions and doing their own thing. Wouldn't at all be surprised if Howler finds himself on tour in spite of the betting scandal.

My hopes of exciting free flowing rugby are not high when you think about the Boks v Gatland's Lions

You'd think he's a nailed on future welsh backs coach.

Wonder could he double up and do both the Scarlets and Wales? (would be a big loss to the Scarlets and the whole league if he couldn't.)

As for SOB saying this - its long past time someone came out and revealed Gatland and Howley for the imposters they are.
What the most successful coaches I the 6 nation's for the last 12 years check the stats muppet

He really does make a good point, using logic etc but not really like he's whining or anything which is good

Interesting that he says a lot of players & coaches felt the same... his biggest gripe has to be being behind Adam beard in the pecking order

Be interesting to see how Gats does with his club coaching again. Slightly suspect he is not the rugby genius some think he is. The fact he chooses favourite is not exactly new though, he did it previous Lions tours and did it with Wales. I don't believe Gats necessarily had anything against certain nations but I do think he was extremely heavily biased towards his favourites.

It's starting

A bit off topic here too but fair play to BBC NI. They really put a lot of other free-to-air broadcasters to shame. They may be bias in commentary of Ulster etc but they keep creating new product and this new show has me very intrigued,

Also Henderson just really confirming what we all knew. And well he is not really arguing any issue just stating the plain facts.

Gatland somebody well known to play to his favourites throughout his career.... plays to his favourites shocker!!!

Henderson was really unlucky to not even get onto the pitch in the test, I thought he played well enough to at least get a chance.

Be interesting to see how Gats does with his club coaching again. Slightly suspect he is not the rugby genius some think he is. The fact he chooses favourite is not exactly new though, he did it previous Lions tours and did it with Wales. I don't believe Gats necessarily had anything against certain nations but I do think he was extremely heavily biased towards his favourites.
That Chiefs season was a real chastising experience for him. He really needs to bounce back from that now especially with the disappointing lions tour.

Anyone else concerned that Scottish, Irish and Welsh players have all criticized Gatland now but no England players…

Hopefully not because they genuinely think Gats could be England coach after Eddie

Anyone else concerned that Scottish, Irish and Welsh players have all criticized Gatland now but no England players…

Hopefully not because they genuinely think Gats could be England coach after Eddie
Most likely because if an English player ever criticises a foreign coach or team, the "arrogant England" brigade jump down their throats in a way they don't for other teams. Best just to keep quiet.

English players were treated pretty well by Gats, as well, in terms of numbers touring at least

His tactics stunk but they weren't too dissimilar to the way that EJ coached us last season - complaining about kicking too much would also be a slight against their own head coach and could have implications on their own selection