• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

SOB lays into Gats

He must have Sexton's agreement if not permission to come out and say that too. It was obvious from test two alone that Gats and Howley had nothing outside the forwards.

Perhaps the outcome may have different; we will never know.

Whilst I agree his views echo that of most Lions supporters it smacks of a lack of class. Why come out and say it now?

What we all agreed on, including VC and Welsh fans. Howley is just not good enough for international rugby, never mind a Lions tour.

I don't mind a player coming out and having a moan, its how we learn going forward. We can't just put up and shut up if the coaching is not good enough as it will hinder our future development.

Fair play to Sexton and Faz as well for being strong enough characters to drive training

Too right SO'B is. It was clear to see from anyone who watched that our back play was lacking. Our pack was monster, and once the backs started to play off their own initiative more we flourished

Perhaps the outcome may have different; we will never know.

Whilst I agree his views echo that of most Lions supporters it smacks of a lack of class. Why come out and say it now?

Why not?

I mean it prob ****** him off that it is viewed as a success to draw and that Gatland and his coaching team are deemed as the victors, when they had a real chance of winning the tour in the end.

No issues from me with SOB saying what he's said. The whole 'what happens on tour, stays on tour' rubbish shouldn't be part of modern, professional rugby. Coaches can be quick to criticise players after poor performances, with Gatland being especially guilty of this on occasion.

We al know that Howley isn't up to the task of coaching international rugby, the evidence has been there for years with Wales. If what SOB is saying is true (and I have zero reason not to believe him), then the fact that Sexton and Faz had to run things ain't great. Of course the players should always have a say, but it sounds like Howley simply became a bystander by the end.

It's about time the WRU took notice, and maybe they should take this opportunity to approach more lions players to get their views. Most of the Welsh squad have known no better with Wales, although I'm sure the Scarlets boys have seen the difference with Stephen Jones.

Gatland should have gone after the last world cup, Howley and McBryde never earned their positions be begin with and imo have been holding Wales back for the last decade!

I'm sure the Scarlets boys have seen the difference with Stephen Jones.

You'd think he's a nailed on future welsh backs coach.

Wonder could he double up and do both the Scarlets and Wales? (would be a big loss to the Scarlets and the whole league if he couldn't.)

As for SOB saying this - its long past time someone came out and revealed Gatland and Howley for the imposters they are.

Wasn't I attacked for saying as much

But it is a point. Gatland gets credit for short High Intensity sessions. Guess it's more knowing where to find that balance

My only problem with this......it may stops the ABs from hiring them.

Some of the comments from Kiwis are brilliant in response to SOB's comments

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/a...ries-win-due-to-overtraining-says-sean-obrien

Typical of an Irishman to complain coming out of an British and Irish Lions tour in New Zealand. 12 years ago O' Driscoll moaned after being tackled in the first game (OK it was a bad tackle) and had to exit the competition, but then called foul for the rest of the series. The Irish seem to be getting the reputation of the complaints managers of the game of rugby. Nobody else complains as much. The Pohms (English) used to be the complainers but now I think the Irish are taking the chalice.
  • 2 replies
+2

profile_avatar_n_sm.gif

10 hours ago
Been Benuane
The Irish always were the worst Rugby fans and moaners and general bad sports, we just never noticed because they weren't good enough to notice.
O'Driscoll wasn't even tackled, he was just cleared from a ruck. Don;t forget the rubbish from about a year ago about the All Blacks being "the dirtiest team in the world" form the lying Irish media.

Gotta be Eddie, Gregor, Gustard/Farell and Stephen Jones for the next tour then? With Borthwick and Rowntree too.

Going to be awkward when Howley takes over from Schmidt as Ireland head coach.

They speak the truth.

I think you mean the new and improved Stu Lancaster... If Jono Gibbes can't do it for some reason!
Gotta be Eddie, Gregor, Gustard/Farell and Stephen Jones for the next tour then? With Borthwick and Rowntree too.
Bold call not picking the head coach* who'll have won the 2019 RWC with a home nation... Very bold!

*Its not Warren!

Latest posts