• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Something is definately wrong here...

S

sanzar

What is going on with RL2? September is around the corner, literally just over a week away, but theres still no official release date!?!
This is pretty bizaar in my opinion... I don't think I can recall a game that didn't have an official release date a week out from their "slated release month". It's starting to give me the shits, WTF is going on down there at HES??? Why haven't they put it in concrete yet???

I'd say this was worrying, but Mario has said that that date is unsubstanicated.

Mario tried to squandar my rumour of the delay.

The more and more we hear nothing the more and more credible the rumour mill gets

Mario - why did u confidently dismiss the rumour at NRL stats that the game will be delayed, when:

A. You needed NRL stats for the final product, they must know something
B. HES rule the release date
C. We still havent heard anything

I'll be happy if u can prove me incorrect.

It will be pushed back like always.

Although a October 30th release date wouldnt be that bad for me.

With 2k Sports' NBA 2K6 Scheduled to be released on the 27th at just 44.95 I will have two Video Games at the pinnacle of their respective games.

Originally posted by sanzar@Aug 21 2005, 08:55 PM
What is going on with RL2? September is around the corner, literally just over a week away, but theres still no official release date!?!
This is pretty bizaar in my opinion... I don't think I can recall a game that didn't have an official release date a week out from their "slated release month". It's starting to give me the shits, WTF is going on down there at HES??? Why haven't they put it in concrete yet???
just thought i'd add some research as to when games go gold and timeframe of shelving

have come across 4-5 games where its only 3 weeks from Gold to shelving date

So if any relation to the way games are mass produced and passed testing, RL2 has maximum 2 more weeks until it goes gold - then a 3 week period to mass stock, distribute and release for ontime End of September release

So if we dont here anything of RL2 goes gold in the next 2 weeks - you can throw the september schedule out the window, and rely on NRL stats info that October/November is the likely release date, and that HES and Sidhe have ballsed it up again by releasing in the middle of the cricket season

I can already see Sidhe/HES hanging their heads in shame that for the 2nd time, Rugby League did not meet its deadline and as a result, lost potential sales due to Rugby League being 2nd priority - publically, as its 30+ degrees, with zinc donning aussies playing beach cricket in boardies....or they will be playing RPIC (which i can say confidentally, wont be removed from consoles in any hurry)

God only knows with the UK release - where IMO the majority of sales should come from with the PC and PS2 count being approx 10 times Australias/NZ combined

Originally posted by sanzar@Aug 22 2005, 12:13 AM
I'd say this was worrying, but Mario has said that that date is unsubstanicated.
Unsubstanicated!!

<

Okay.....as someone who has preordered it, I am now ****** off AND totally confused.

<<CRASH>>

<
<

(Walls being busted down etc)

<

unsubstanicated....I knew it.

Originally posted by ak47@Aug 22 2005, 02:56 PM
Lets remember that your mate hasn't worked there for ages, nor did any of the other things he mentioned (such as him being able to play a copy of the game) ever happen.

So...

Any word on the release date? Has it been passed by Sony Yet (Wasnt that what held it back last time around?)

Originally posted by Ripper@Aug 22 2005, 05:38 PM
So...

Any word on the release date? Has it been passed by Sony Yet (Wasnt that what held it back last time around?)
No specific release date has been set.

Well, this is a very worrying development, for Sidhe, not us the gaming public. If they have done credible market research they will know these facts:

Product Release Date Flexibility:

Strengths:

1. Rugby League is an exclusive licensing opportunity, where due to that factor they can capitalise on the interest of the gaming public and release it whenever they like. Where'll the gaming public turn otherwise?

Weaknesses:

1. Rugby League is a seasonal sport, where interest reaches it's peak in September (Southern Hemisphere), and a percentage of casual gamers, will wait through the summer, pursuing other interests and will either purchase at bargain prices early next season or maybe even not at all.

2. Cricket takes over as a release ***le contender in the SH summer along with the new Tiger Woods, Fifa, PES, and Basketball ***les on their way.

3. Early next winter, Rugby Union will rear it's (possibly ugly) head, and subtract from sales then.

4. Being vague with release data, this demographic are not very happy with being let down, so it's best to drip feed information at the last minute, that'll appease them (yeah right).

5. (And definitely the most likely) Product fine tuning and trouble-shooting/bug fixing can be a nightmare, once the games out - its out. So, it would seem likely that this will be the biggest factor in deciding a definitive release date.

So, in conclusion, my opinion is that some of this is likely the case, and that as a gaming public we just want to be informed. To be fair to Mario, he has done a decent job of keeping us informed, and for that I am at least thankful.

On the downside however, it seems that this product has been poorly timetabled, as we all know that it is a MAJOR problem when a sports game can't be released to coincide with it real life counterparts finals series. It's bad for them sales-wise and it's bad for us gaming wise. There's enough quality games out there, to have some of us carry the grudge untill it's in the bargain bin.

It's to me at least the second biggest issue, behind overall gameplay. If this game isn't out by two weeks after the grand final, I'm not interested.
I like League, I love cricket and rugby, and I hate getting left in the dark.

Originally posted by Mario+Aug 22 2005, 05:36 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mario @ Aug 22 2005, 05:36 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-ak47
@Aug 22 2005, 02:56 PM
Lets remember that your mate hasn't worked there for ages, nor did any of the other things he mentioned (such as him being able to play a copy of the game) ever happen. [/b]
He hasnt worked there for 4 weeks

4 weeks...

and you say thats ages??

so is Rugby League ages away?? its got 4-5 weeks to hit the shelves

They call him nearly every second day for assistence still - BAU once he left my foot

Thus he can easily get an update on that rumour....

Or you can just prove me wrong and release it on time

As for that playtest - it was his choice NOT to play test.......whether it went forward for his office i dunno.

I know you have a ballpark date of release..but wont say

defintely it would be better releasing somewhere in the finals series where more casual gamers would be likely to buy the game. fortunately the league season does not end after the grand final with the tri nations series following shortly after and also andrew johns will be playing in super league. releasing during the nrl season is better but league won't be off the tv completely if the game releases in late october.

Originally posted by Mario+Aug 22 2005, 05:53 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mario @ Aug 22 2005, 05:53 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Ripper
@Aug 22 2005, 05:38 PM
So...

No specific release date has been set. [/b]
It's getting a bit bloody late though wouldn't you say? It's suposedly slated for a september release FFS. How can HES possibly not have set a specific release date but somehow insist that it will be released in september?

Originally posted by ak47@Aug 22 2005, 07:41 PM
I know you have a ballpark date of release..but wont say

I totally agree AK, he will have a ballpark estimate, it's just this crap policy that game developers have, where they won't give us an estimate or approximate release date, even if we don't hold them to anything. I mean an approximate is ONLY that, and it would give us a rough idea.

It's called being reasonable.

They actually want us on their backs, as it shows them how much we want it.

It's manipulative, but thats business.

Example: Mario could say: "HOPEFULLY, the way things are going, the game COULD be out between last week September and third week October, but that's only speculative, I can't be sure."

That wouldn't be too hard, but game companies can't even do that. It's poor PR, but Sidhe are no different to any other company where this is concerned.

Not asking for the moon really are we, but thats us little people, always nagging the nice, hardworking, soon to be even more rich execs who make our entertainment.

Originally posted by C A Iversen@Aug 22 2005, 08:24 PM
...soon to be even more rich execs who make our entertainment.
Hey, just because my desk is made of solid gold doesn't make me rich
<

<

anyway.....

I think you are crassly missing the point Mario.

For instance, I have pre-ordered the game...you know.....it had a september date release of course...and I bought it...this will coincide with a household bday and, well...you know the rest.

Now what?

Think of us as investors in your company...most, if not all of us, bought the first game...we're telling you that we want to buy the next and your idea of PR is telling us you don't know and making quips?

I like the latter as it shows your human side...but how abouts we get to the former aforementioned issue of WHEN? Or at least, respectfully, divulge your knowledge, however limited, to your pseudo investors.

would be great, cheers

<

Originally posted by Los Lover@Aug 23 2005, 01:29 AM
I think you are crassly missing the point Mario.

For instance, I have pre-ordered the game...you know.....it had a september date release of course...and I bought it...
I know its getting nit-picky but if i had all the pre-order funds across all platforms i could be earning alot of interest (especially at ING at 5.5%)

Alot of retailers are sitting on our capital earning interest as we speak, whilst other rich people delay the process, so all rich entities are looking after eachother!

Getting left in the dark is no reward for our monetary input

I know our reward is meant to be product

but when u are forced to pay for it (just to get a copy, before they sell out), you'd like atleast a ballpark timeframe of when u are receiving what u paid for

Our ballpark timeframe of September is losing its credibility with timing issues, and we just want re-assurance (more than a few words required as the timeframe is getting slim), that were are still on track for september!

Latest posts