• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Sonny Fai Presumed Dead

Q

QLD

New Zealand news is reporting a young man who drowned while attempting to resuce family members is Sonny Fai, they believe he has drowned.

Terrible news for all involved.

R.I.P Sonny.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news...ectid=10550519

The young man believed drowned at west Auckland's Bethell's Beach last night is young New Zealand Warriors star Sonny Fai.

Warriors chief executive Wayne Scurrah confirmed the 20-year-old is missing after he had been at Bethell's on a training run yesterday.

Sources told Newstalk ZB Fai went into the water to help a family member who had got into difficulty swimming.

He was one of four men believed to have been caught by strong currents after entering the water.

The alarm was raised about 8pm last night, and two inflatable boats and the Westpac Rescue Helicopter were scrambled. Three men were rescued.

Family members and surf life savers kept searching for the sportsman until 1am.

Relatives gathered on the beach as the Eagle helicopter resumed its search this morning and Fai's team mates were also heading to Bethell's.

Fai has long been touted as the Warriors' next superstar after joining the club as a 14-year-old in 2003.

He made his debut against Parramatta last year and played a total of 15 games, scoring five tries in the process.

The former Junior Kiwi featured mainly in the centres but was regarded as a long-term back-row option after the Warriors fought off interest from rival NRL clubs to sign him until the end of 2010.

Fai also played for the New Zealand Residents in 2005-06 and made the Kiwis train-on squad for last year's World Cup but missed out on final selection.

--------------------

Thoughts go out to his family and the Warriors. Shame he died for trying to do the right thing. A potential talent in the NRL too and had a bright future. Sad news.

I knew Sonny at intermediate and seen him a few times after that. I'm still in shock and still hope they find him safe and well. He's an inspiration to people in my community (stays up the road from me). My thoughts and prayers go out his family.

No faith guys come on I don't even really watch league but they haven't even found a body yet. The Kiwis won the Rugby League World Cup so no reason to say he's not still alive gotta keep the faith.

Norm Hewitts brother survived 5 days out at sea but he had training. Sonny Fai's a very fit young man so I'm not gonna give up on him even if I'm not really a League fan but it's not official that it's over, hope he's alright.

This is bloody awful news and i still cant comprehend. Brings us back to reality. It would be terrible for the team mates, lets hope they can rebound from this.

Very sad story i saw the news conference with steve price the poor bloke was trying not to cry. :(

RIP sonny fai an absolute tragedy but we must remember that he is a hero saving his brother's life also. :(

Gees you fullaz he's not dead yet it isn't official I think it's a bit crap how everyone doesn't have any faith. It's highly unlikely but he could still be out there somewhere floating around just waiting for someone to spot him.

Amen brother! Im still hoping. A guy like him surely does not deserve a fate like that!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jawmalawm24 @ Jan 6 2009, 09:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Gees you fullaz he's not dead yet it isn't official I think it's a bit crap how everyone doesn't have any faith. It's highly unlikely but he could still be out there somewhere floating around just waiting for someone to spot him.[/b]

There's faith and there's miracles appointed by god. Sonny Fai is dead. Its sad but its true.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Jan 7 2009, 04:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jawmalawm24 @ Jan 6 2009, 09:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Gees you fullaz he's not dead yet it isn't official I think it's a bit crap how everyone doesn't have any faith. It's highly unlikely but he could still be out there somewhere floating around just waiting for someone to spot him.[/b]

There's faith and there's miracles appointed by god. Sonny Fai is dead. Its sad but its true.
[/b][/quote]I had faith in the Kiwis when they won against the Wallabies and I'm gonna have faith that he's still alive. No one gave up on Robert Hewitt when he was stuck out at sea for nearly 4 days and he lived through the whole ordeal no reason why Sonny Fai couldn't.

A bloke once surived for 5 days out in the sea I read somewhere relating to this article so there is still hope!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cymro @ Jan 7 2009, 10:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
A bloke once surived for 5 days out in the sea I read somewhere relating to this article so there is still hope![/b]
Yep that's the dude I've been on about he's Norm Hewitts brother but he was a trained diver in the Navy. No matter the outcome I know the whole of New Zealand will be in support of his family and friends.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jawmalawm24 @ Jan 7 2009, 08:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Jan 7 2009, 04:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jawmalawm24 @ Jan 6 2009, 09:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]I had faith in the Kiwis when they won against the Wallabies and I'm gonna have faith that he's still alive. No one gave up on Robert Hewitt when he was stuck out at sea for nearly 4 days and he lived through the whole ordeal no reason why Sonny Fai couldn't.
[/b][/quote]
Big Difference. Robert Hewitt was an experienced and fully trained navy diver who had full diving equipment on, meaning he was being kept afloat and would've been more adequately sheltered from the elements. Fai would have to be treading water, probably wearing only a shirt and shorts at the most in probably the worst strech of water in the country.

rip tides are such a dangerous thing that so many people are not aware of. We had seven people killed on the east coast last summer by them. what a terrible way to go.

Latest posts