• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

South Africans! Boerewors...

Draggs

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Right, I'm looking at making some boerewors soon, does anybody have a particular recipe that they would recommend? I've seen a few online, but if you have one you seem to prefer, please let me know.
Cheers!

I'll ask my friend for his recipe, his boerewors... wow it's awesome. How do you plan on cooking it? Frying? Grill? Remember, boerewors is never raw. There is an art to making it just right, juicy, lovely...

dammit Draggs! YOU MADE ME HUNGRY!

Boerewors_raw.jpg

I'll ask my friend for his recipe, his boerewors... wow it's awesome. How do you plan on cooking it? Frying? Grill? Remember, boerewors is never raw. There is an art to making it just right, juicy, lovely...

dammit Draggs! YOU MADE ME HUNGRY!

Cheers bru. Got a grill, probably going to try it that way. I've done linked sausages and friend them before, so looking at trying something different.

Okay grill can work, you want to feel your wors with the tip of your fingers (giggling hysterically while typing that) when it feels lumpy, tis about done. You want it juicy.

Would you recommend another way apart from grilling?
I'll feel the wors when nobody is outside, won't want to risk giving anybody a cheap laugh.

When it is grilling, should I attempt to flip the wors?

What kind of grill is it? Gas?

What kind of grill is it? Gas?

Aye, not open fire like it should be, but it does a pretty good job. Doesn't ruin the taste with propane either.
Maybe I should start to dig a pit in the back.

Post the recipe for us all. This sounds relevant to my interests.

mmm does it close completely like, does it have a lid?

edit: my friend made wors with a gas grill, was still delicious. Wood is always better though :p

mmm does it close completely like, does it have a lid?

edit: my friend made wors with a gas grill, was still delicious. Wood is always better though :p

Oh certainly, but all I have is a gas grill.
The lid does close completely.

Does the wors need to be flipped?

That is where I'm not sure with a lid and everything, on an open fire I'd flip it every minute and a half or so, depending on how hot it is. You have to remember though wors is really quick

Those look immense. How does one fashion on of these Boerewors?

Close your eyes and eat it then, it's absolutely delicious.

I'm not sure Feic, I've never made my own before. Although the process I think is quite simple, one of my South African brethern might be able to explain a lot better than me, I only know how to braai it and eat it :D

But I'm glad atleast one Welsh guy is trying it, give me a few weeks and I'll have Draggs eating mieliepap too :p

I've already looked into potjiekos, they look fantastic. Already done linked sausages, but I have a new grinder and ready to step it up a notch.

@ Draggs

Don't you think it would be better to come to SA so that we can show you how to prepare it SA style and then to braai as well??

The most important part of the Boerewors is the spices and the mince that should mix together properly before you put it through the Grinder. What we usually do is to mix it the day before, and then add some Worcestershire sauce and a little bit of chutney, to soak into the meat. and then the next day put it through the grinder. and then to let it cool down in the fridge for another day.

I can tell you how to make it but I don't have a recipe I myself have much faith in. My nephew makes the best boerewors I've tasted but the ******* won't share his recipe. He is like a meat messiah (he can even get goat meat to be as juicy and tender that you wouldn't belief it; says it's all in how you kill the beast but won't say more than that) but unlike Jesus he is very greedy.

What I would recommend is get as thin an intestine as possible, finely ground dry coriander is a must the rest is up to personal taste (a little fat- you can add bacon- goes a long way to keeping it juicy and helping fry it). Flip regularly especially if the heat is high. It's easy to overdo it as it'll be ready quite quickly. A decent way to check if it's ready is that if it breaks when you lift it, it's done.

Potjiekos is my one true love but it takes so long and I rarely have the time these days.. now I am hungry and depressed, thanks, Drags.

Latest posts