• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Southern Kings v Lions

thought he gave that a bit early but no issue over the utter dominance at scrum time.

Barnes saying Fitzgerald may not get a starting spot due to poor kicking out of hand. I haven't seen him slice a kick before that one to be honest. Also Stu, your opinion is only credible when you get the name of the players right. Tommy Bowe hasn't been playing for 70 minutes.

Well thats the warm ups over then. Lions get through undefeated and should be going into the first test with some hopes, although still big underdogs. The injuries to Murray and Hook sustained today are worrying but luckily theyre positions that we have decent cover in. Can't see any of today's backrow making the test squad and Monye has probably done enough on the wing.

So all in all a scappy display but a win is a win is a win. On a sidenote twould be nice if Andy Powell would just go home now and leave the real Lions to their task.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Jun 16 2009, 03:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
So all in all a scappy display but a win is a win is a win. On a sidenote twould be nice if Andy Powell would just go home now and leave the real Lions to their task.[/b]

Go home? What are you on about. Powell's best game today on tour and showed glimpses of his somewhat class. Powell today for me showed that he has the ability to read the game and do the good stuff but he is far to inconsistent.

Adam Jones had a monster game, tackled, scrummaged and rucked well. Could see him starting or on the bench for the test team.

Simon Shaw work rate was simply amazing for the granddad of the side. Was really impressed with him, stuck his hand up for a place on the bench on Saturday.

ROG could well feature at 10 because his goalkicking has been fantastic. You can talk he at times lacks creativity but when he's kicking like this he has a good shout.

Mears has clearly won the battle for the hooker's position with both Rees and Ford lacking composure at lineout time. Blair looked poor today as so many of the Lions backs did.

HOWEVER the Southern Kings should be congratulated for giving the Lions a hard fought match!!!!

EDIT: Pitch was a DISGRACE.

Yes well done to the Southern Kings, they really put in a big effort today, also put in some big hits and caused a few Lions to leave the field with injuries so well done to them.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Intercept King JdV @ Jun 16 2009, 04:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Yes well done to the Southern Kings, they really put in a big effort today, also put in some big hits and caused a few Lions to leave the field with injuries so well done to them.[/b]

Pitch was shocking mind and contributed to Hooguard and Murray's injury.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cymro @ Jun 16 2009, 04:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Jun 16 2009, 03:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So all in all a scappy display but a win is a win is a win. On a sidenote twould be nice if Andy Powell would just go home now and leave the real Lions to their task.[/b]

Go home? What are you on about. Powell's best game today on tour and showed glimpses of his somewhat class. Powell today for me showed that he has the ability to read the game and do the good stuff but he is far to inconsistent.

Adam Jones had a monster game, tackled, scrummaged and rucked well. Could see him starting or on the bench for the test team.

Simon Shaw work rate was simply amazing for the granddad of the side. Was really impressed with him, stuck his hand up for a place on the bench on Saturday.

ROG could well feature at 10 because his goalkicking has been fantastic. You can talk he at times lacks creativity but when he's kicking like this he has a good shout.

Mears has clearly won the battle for the hooker's position with both Rees and Ford lacking composure at lineout time. Blair looked poor today as so many of the Lions backs did.

HOWEVER the Southern Kings should be congratulated for giving the Lions a hard fought match!!!!
[/b][/quote]
Well for me hes consistantly been a poor performer. You say glimpses of hsi somewhat class but isn't that exactly the problem? Hes a strong runner but not that much stonger than Heaslip and brings nothing in defence or at the breakdown. Very flash, but not much substance. It's a shame that he got brought and the likes of Denis Leamy or Alasdair Strokosch were left at home to be honest.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Jun 16 2009, 04:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cymro @ Jun 16 2009, 04:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Jun 16 2009, 03:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]
Well for me hes consistantly been a poor performer. You say glimpses of hsi somewhat class but isn't that exactly the problem? Hes a strong runner but not that much stonger than Heaslip and brings nothing in defence or at the breakdown. Very flash, but not much substance. It's a shame that he got brought and the likes of Denis Leamy or Alasdair Strokosch were left at home to be honest.
[/b][/quote]

He contributed very much in defence, always puts the tackles in so your point there is completely invalid. At the breakdown he does contributed but could do more. Youare making him out to be a really really crap player and to be frank thats not fair. Thank God Leamy was not brought on tour, is all I can say.

The Lions seem to get dirty when they don't have ball in hand. P Divvy pointed it out this week in the media and I agree. A lot of off the ball stuff. For the well being of their players I hope they cut it out against the Boks because they'll get flattened.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Jun 16 2009, 04:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The Lions seem to get dirty when they don't have ball in hand. P Divvy pointed it out this week in the media and I agree. A lot of off the ball stuff. For the well being of their players I hope they cut it out against the Boks because they'll get flattened.[/b]

To be fair some of the opposition have started it and the Lions have just shown complete lack of discipline by taking the bait!

Far more rounded player than Powell at least. If the guy makes the test 22 I'll cry

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Jun 16 2009, 04:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Far more rounded player than Powell at least. If the guy makes the test 22 I'll cry[/b]

But unfortunately he was not selected to tour. Pity <_<

Oh dear here comes the ....

Irish%20Mafia%20200.jpg

picking Powell was a major error, I'd have preferred to see Nick Easter there and that's saying something

I thought the captaincy suited Donncha O'Callaghan really well, I don't know how he managed to do it, but his work rate was better than normal.

Very happy with ROG too, was put in a difficult position and it didn't bother him in the slightest, didn't seem bothered at all by the pressure, he was trying chip kicks 10 metres from the try line for gods sake, and he kicked almost perfectly. I'd personally start him against The Boks.

Gutted for Murray, started really well. I wonder was the surface to blame for his injury?

Earls was much better at fullback, he should have backed himself instead of throwing the loopy pass that time he tore the Kings apart.

Shaw worked early on but his legs went early in the second half, still a good effort from him though.

Blair and Fitzgerald are in the same boat, tried really hard, didn't happen for them.

Good win for the Dirt trackers, against good opposition. The Southern Kings players should be very happy with how they played.

Don't think i've seen Powell get tackled, this tour, without being turned over

Good game from Earls and Shaw

the breakdown was and still is a massive issue. at least 4 or 5 times we weren't able to secure the ball.

"4 or 5 times" is an enormous understatement. I'd say it was around the 10 mark. Pathetic.

Didn't see the match. Is Monye a cert?

Life is too short to get in to the Powell "debate".

Latest posts