• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Spears in the S14 next year

S

Stormer

In case anyone hasn't heard the Southern Spears yesterday won their court battle against the SARU and will partcipate in next years Super 14 most likely at the expense of the Cats.

Thoughts? Opinions?

I am pretty neutral myself, the Cats have been kak for so long it ain't funny anymore but unless the Spears can improve out of site in less than a year I can see some cricket scores being put on them!

Their site for anyone interested: http://www.thespears.co.za/

Can't see them being any better then the Cats. The Spears is an awful name for a rugby team though :p

ah very interesting indeed. I was just reading the other day that they weren't going to be in.

spears need to improve a lot to be competitve. they were getting hamered in warm up games this year.

SA rugby yet again dominated by politics

Out of interest if the Cats aren't in the Super 14 next year, what will happen to Andre Pretorious, Enrico Januarie and Jacque Fourie? Will they be likely to play for another South Africa franchise in Super 14?

Originally posted by riders of the storm@Aug 5 2006, 12:51 PM
Out of interest if the Cats aren't in the Super 14 next year, what will happen to Andre Pretorious, Enrico Januarie and Jacque Fourie? Will they be likely to play for another South Africa franchise in Super 14?
Well that's where it is going to start getting messy. Under the old agrrement I believe the team that got relegated has to provide the Spears with at least 8 high profile players (ie. boks) don't know if this still applies but Lions/Cats supporters are fuming about this, not only are they being replaced but they might have to give up thier biggest names as well! (Andre Pretorius, Jacque Fourie, Ricky Januarie, Wickus van Heerden, Ashwin Willemse etc.)

Not to mention some players will more than likely leave of their own accord. (Fourie has already been linked with the Sharks)

yeah that would suck. and I guess this flows onto currie cup so not only does a team lose its place in super 14 but they lose players to compete in the currie cup.

Just seen this now.

This quite frankly was a big shock and could potentially ruin SA Rugby in terms of talent. It seems another slide is set to take place.

Also, the article mentions that the Spears are definately in until 2008, but can the Cats get back in before this? What happens to the Cats organisation, because are they not just fed by the Currie Cup club? Will they dissolve?

The biggest question is: what if the Spears do lose by heaps (maybe some 100-10 scores0 in their first season? Can they still not be relegated?

The Cats are actually on Provincila level called the Lions. The Lions are doing well this year in the Currie Cup.

The Spears are compiled of 3 teams form the Eastern Cape; The Mighty Elephants, The Bulldogs and the SWD Eagles. These three teams are all bottom three in the SECOND devision Currie Cup. They can't hack it in a B-league local compatition, how are they gonna make it in the toughest rugby tournament in the world?

Quotas, my firends, is the destroyer of all things rugby in South Africa.

I don't think this **** team will ever compete in the S14. I hope they won't and if they ever do I wish they get smashed by a 100 points every game.

The Downward spiral of South African rugby continue. They must force the spears to select players that is not contracted to any of the other teams currently. After all they got humiliated by the Cats before the S14 (in fact by all the South African S14 teams ) and we all know with happened to the Cats in the S14. Expect scores more than 100 points in next years S14. Just another Reason why Political interference in SA Rugby must immediately STOP. It is ironic that there is no "political input" in the corupt soccer scene in RSA

:wall:

Howzit!! B) Long time no post from me!! Just thought I'd let the TRF members know apparently SA Rugby has now obtained a 50% share holding, which according to resources, means that they have the power to pull the Spears out.

The Spears saga is not over yet, not by a long shot!!

New team! YES! :) That'll add some spice to the Super 14 next year. I don't really know what the rugby depth is like over there, but lets pray that Spears will be competitive in Super 14 without their 'stars' ie 22 All Blacks.

they were getting hammered this year I don't think that will change. if they do end up in the comp they will become the next western force in their first year and may go winless. quite simply like almost everything in sa rugby it is political. I really can't see the spears going to well at all although they may give some other a challenge for the spoon.

The whole idea of the South African teams participating in the Super 14 being on a rotational (relegation style) basis is retarded. Australia nor New Zealand employ similar schemes, so why do they? It's a crap idea that weakens the branding of Super 14 Rugby.

if they do end up in the comp they will become the next western force in their first year and may go winless.
[/b]
Except that the Western Force won a game... but apart from that win they were winless!

It's the government that wanted the Spears to be included because the whole team comprises of blacks and colourds. It's all about money and the quota bullshit.

Fokken houtkoppe.

Latest posts