• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Speed exercises

Ok lads don't know how to insert the excel diagram so will try explain.
Basically this drill is endurance and pace control. And well I'll use as GAA field as example so Amobokoboko if you don't understand I'll try a different laypout for you.

1. Lay out a cone at both 13m's, 21m's and 65m's on a GAA field.
2. Start at half-way line. Jog to 65m then sprint to 21m and jog to 13m.
3. Stop dead then jog 13m to 21m then sprint to 65m. Then lower pace (do not stop) until next 65m and then burst into a sprint again until 21m and jog until 13m.
4. Stop dead then jog 13m to 21m and then flat out sprint to halfway.

Notes:
- That is 1 rep. 4 Reps = 1 Set. Aim for a Senior player in rugby or GAA should be minimum 3 sets.
- Stop dead should be really about 5 Seconds.
- Rest between each rep should be 90 seconds and between each set 3 minutes.

If ye are stuck I can draw a layout and maybe that may explain it clearer.
This drill is deigned to help you burst off the mark even when tired and to also teach your body to be in control of pace.
Also great for stamina.

Sound out mate. I'll give it a go a few times and let you know how I'm getting on.

I've worked on my forearm strength

tumblr_lhyh9fsdcS1qbl4j7o1_500.jpg

In South Africa the best way to improve acceleration and speed is to walk in the streets with any jewelry!

Ok lads don't know how to insert the excel diagram so will try explain.
Basically this drill is endurance and pace control. And well I'll use as GAA field as example so Amobokoboko if you don't understand I'll try a different laypout for you.

1. Lay out a cone at both 13m's, 21m's and 65m's on a GAA field.
2. Start at half-way line. Jog to 65m then sprint to 21m and jog to 13m.
3. Stop dead then jog 13m to 21m then sprint to 65m. Then lower pace (do not stop) until next 65m and then burst into a sprint again until 21m and jog until 13m.
4. Stop dead then jog 13m to 21m and then flat out sprint to halfway.

Notes:
- That is 1 rep. 4 Reps = 1 Set. Aim for a Senior player in rugby or GAA should be minimum 3 sets.
- Stop dead should be really about 5 Seconds.
- Rest between each rep should be 90 seconds and between each set 3 minutes.

If ye are stuck I can draw a layout and maybe that may explain it clearer.
This drill is deigned to help you burst off the mark even when tired and to also teach your body to be in control of pace.
Also great for stamina.

I'm a bit confused, isn't the 65m the half way in GAA? If not how far is the half way from the 65?

Cheers mm going to adapt this for my rugby team, figure we'll have to build up to 3 sets though.

Latest posts