Springbok Coach Announcement New head coach

unrated

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Sharks
At 11:00 the new springbok coach will be named.
Allister Coetzee is pretty much the only name that people have tipped to become Springbok coach.
I still see HM as our best option but that is out of the picture now.

My hope is that SARU would at least have appointed good supporting staff to complement AC. We know Robbie Fleck is out of the question. Matt Proudfoot is very likely to to be the forwards coach.
So to me the only uncertainty is who is going to be the backs coach?. If someone else like Rassie Erasmus get appointed then well done to SARU for fooling the SA media.

Live stream will be on Supersport 1 from 11:00 to 11:30

Mzwandile Stick are you kidding me??? he played Sevens! played one match for the Kings. Could not make their Super Rugby squad. How do you appoint a guy that mainly played sevens and no mentionable coaching experience as a backs coach.

Mzwandile Stick are you kidding me??? he played Sevens! played one match for the Kings. Could not make their Super Rugby squad. How do you appoint a guy that mainly played sevens and no mentionable coaching experience as a backs coach.
It's political

A very politically correct coaching and backroom staff team I see.

Last edited:
AC was really the only candidate, out of the previous incumbent super rugby coaches; Drotske, Ludeke, Gold and Coetzee, he has probably achieved the most success.
More importantly no foreigner in their right mind would take the job with transformation being such a big factor over the next few years.
The only other candidate was Ackerman, who would probably do a better job but realistically needs to achieve a bit more in Super Rugby to be considered.

It's most likely going to be another 4 years of treading water at best, and a serious knock to our tier 1 status at worst.
Nothing we can do except come to terms with the fact that this needed to happen, and hope that after 4 years of terrible performances the politicians keep their fingers out of rugby.

In any case we should just get behind our team and hope for the best, I'm a little sick of all the negativity at this stage, it may even make us a stronger rugby nation in the long term.

Last edited:
So the worst kept secret in SA Rugby is now finally official...

Allister Coetzee is now (un)lucky number 13th coach for the Springboks since readmission.

Let's see what happens...

I have a feeling we'll see 10)Jantjies, 12)DDA, 13)Mapoe, 15)Kriel under Coetzee. You heard it here first.

Habana will not be available for the three test series against the Irish. So it will be interesting who Allister Coetzee will pick for the nr 11 shirt.

I had an interesting discussion last with my friends and my brother. Funnily enough, there was a Bulls, Sharks, Lions and Stormers supporter in the group, and after some debate I came to the conclusion that some of us more than others, are in exactly the same position as others were when Heyneke Meyer was appointed. There seems to be a lot of fear from us northern franchise fellows, whereas the coastal fans are more at ease with AC's appointment. So after a bit of introspection, I think I'll have to change my viewpoint on AC for the sake of my own sanity.

As a head coach his biggest success was to get the Stormers to the final of the Super Rugby, where they lost against the Bulls who was coached by Ludeke at the time just after HM left for Leicester. So you could see my pessimism for AC getting the job. Not that I think Ludeke is better than AC, don't get me wrong, I think Ludeke got the most of his success thanks to the structures HM put in place before him.

But enough of that, I'm today a bit more hopeful. AC got the toughest job in World Rugby, and he's going to have to handle the political pressure that will inevitably be forced upon him. I just hope that he, the selectors and his coaching staff are willing to knuckle down to keep their head above water, as it would be very sad for the sake of SA rugby if he's a failure.

One thing is for sure, that the Springboks defence will be a weapon again. That is one thing AC is great at, and with the amount of X-factor players coming through, I feel we could become number 1 again. But there's a lot of work to be done before we cross that bridge. For now, the most important thing is for AC to get his house in order and start preparation for the Irish.

I am hoping they do well. The defence will be very strong i agree.
The area im very worried about (more than attack) is the breakdown. The game has evolved to a point where the breakdown is very important. Firstly securing your own ball so you can attack, you just cant have a go at the opposition try area if you are losing turnover ball. Secondly getting quick ball from the breakdown.

The area i think HM did well with his team is the breakdown. I really rated Richie gray and was very glad to see that the area got the attention it deserved. It does unfortunately seem to me that AC does not consider a breakdown coach necessary.
Now some might say that the franchises should work on that area, but we have seen with Jake White that if your team were once good with a certain aspect (defence) and another coach takes over (Gold) the players wont necessarily still be good on defence if you go on and only focus on attack.
Cf_UyK-VIAAc5FL.jpg

Last edited:
Why do people think transformation will automatically lead to everything crumbling down? That's what ****** me off.

I don't think anyone believes transformation is a bad goal for the sport. But the 'top down' approach of doing it is im my view a cynical, ineffective and racist policy. The government throwing more money into rugby for black areas makes a lot more sense than saying 50 per cent must be a specific race regardless of merit. That to me is simply a disgusting policy. The argument of "well you have to consider how things were in the apartheid..." - no I don't. It wasn't fair then, and it isn't fair or justified now.

They should change the springbok to the protea. The beautiful history of the springboks doesn't deserve this treatment. **** transformation. And stick your politics up your backside. Sport without merit is not sport.

Why do people think transformation will automatically lead to everything crumbling down? That's what ****** me off.

Nobody is against transformation. What is worrying is that transformation is currently being used to pick players not on merit, but on political motivation at the highest level. I have absolutely no problem in having some form of quota system at the lower levels in an attempt to get more black players involved. But when it comes to professional level, this shouldn't be applied. When players are doing this as their job, it's their choice to play rugby, and their ambition is to play at the highest level. There shouldn't be BEE involved in sport.

I don't think anyone believes transformation is a bad goal for the sport. But the 'top down' approach of doing it is im my view a cynical, ineffective and racist policy. The government throwing more money into rugby for black areas makes a lot more sense than saying 50 per cent must be a specific race regardless of merit. That to me is simply a disgusting policy. The argument of "well you have to consider how things were in the apartheid..." - no I don't. It wasn't fair then, and it isn't fair or justified now.

Exactly. And to still blame apartheid for everything is a bit silly. Some of the current springboks were born after Nelson Mandela was elected president, so there shouldn't be any mention of Apartheid anymore.

They should change the springbok to the protea. The beautiful history of the springboks doesn't deserve this treatment. **** transformation. And stick your politics up your backside. Sport without merit is not sport.

Oh great, give the ANC what they want. leave the Springbok out of this...

Latest posts