Kanko Krazy!!!
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Netherlands
Club or Nation
Sharks
Springboks release 23 to Currie Cup squads
Article Published: Monday 1 August 2011

Twenty-three players involved in the Springboks’ preliminary Rugby World Cup squad have been released back to their clubs and provinces to be available for Currie Cup selection this weekend.

The list includes 15 of the 29 players who were part of the squad for the away leg of the Tri-Nations Series.

The Springbok squad for the home leg of the Tri-Nations series will be announced by electronic media release on Friday.

"Eight of this group have not played any rugby since the end of the Super Rugby competition and have been on rehabilitation programmes, with their European clubs or with the Springbok squad, " said Springbok coach Peter de Villiers.

"Our medical team is continuing assessments on the remainder of the players who were unavailable for selection for the away leg. There are still injury concerns around a number of them. "

The eight players who have not appeared since the end of the Super Rugby season are: BJ Botha, Heinrich Brüssow, Elton Jantjies, Zane Kirchner, Francois Louw, Johann Muller, Adriaan Strauss and Coenie Oosthuizen.

De Villiers said the players released back to their provinces and clubs remained in contention for Springbok selection for the Tri-Nations and Rugby World Cup.

Saru added that the Bok squad for the home leg of the Tri-Nations -- against Australia in Durban on August 13 and New Zealand in Port Elizabeth on August 20 would be named on Friday.

Players released:

Bjorn Basson, BJ Botha, Heinrich Brüssow, Adrian Jacobs, Elton Jantjies, Zane Kirchner, Patrick Lambie, Francois Louw, Charl McLeod, Lwazi Mvovo, Odwa Ndungane, Wynand Olivier, Dean Greyling, Alistair Hargreaves, Ryan Kankowski, Werner Kruger, Ashley Johnson, Johann Muller, Coenie Oosthuizen, Chiliboy Ralepelle, Deon Stegmann, Adriaan Strauss, Flip van der Merwe.

This means the return of players for the following clubs:

Blue Bulls (8)
Bjorn Basson, Zane Kirchner, Wynand Olivier, Werner Kruger, Chiliboy Ralepelle, Deon Stegmann, Flip van der Merwe, Dean Greyling

Free State Cheetahs (4)
Heinrich Brüssow, Adriaan Strauss, Coenie Oosthuizen, Ashley Johnson

Golden Lions (1)
Elton Jantjies

Natal Sharks (7)
Adrian Jacbobs, Patrick Lambie, Charl McLeod, Lwazi Mvovo, Odwa Ndungane, Alistair Hargreaves, Ryan Kankowski

Western Province (1)
Francois Louw

Overseas
BJ Botha, Johann Muller

Lets have a look see what I would do with the returning Sharkies...

Um, we could use Hargreaves in place of Ross Skeate, depending on Skeate's injury. Or if he is fit, I think Jan-Andre Marais is still u21, so it might be more beneficial for Ally to bench, and for Marais to get a full game.

We could use McLeod as bench cover so Reinach can get some u21 game time

Maybe Kanko in for Botes, seeing as we will be playing in the dry crust of the earth that are Kimberely fields

I hear Kockott is gone off to France. Maybe McLeod can replace him at the Lions. I just don't want Charl McLeod in our team anymore. We have Ross Cronje who is 10 times more talented, 8 years younger and with Conrad Hoffmann we have a very talented guy to cover for Cronje.

Lol at 'very talented Guy to cover Cronje'

Was that intentional? :p

So, of the Boks release, Hargeaves, Jacobs, Olivier, Odwa and two or three more throughout the unions will not be available for action this weekend.

All of our returning Boks, bar the injured ones of course, are on the Sharks bench.

As for McLeod, I would love to have said 'I told you so', but I can't, because for some perverse reason I think we could still make a decent player of him, otherwise Plum wouldn't have him around. We saw the skillz in the CC last year for a few periods.

As for Andries Strauss, I still cringe when-ever I see him doing something good, as though it were a flaw in the realm of sanity.

Will be interesting to see who is the Lions first choice 9 is next season, what with Vermaak going to the Bulls and all. I reckon they've got a cracker of a youngster in Rudy Page.

Ehm, yes, that was intentional ;)

I was wondering if anyone would notice haha

Latest posts