• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

state of national finances?

truthteller

Academy Player
I have a good idea on the state of the wru finances, their debts are way down from a mammoth £90 million 20 years ago (The debt was from building possibly the best rugby stadium in the world in the middle of Cardiff and paying compensation for knocking down a dozen nearby buildings) to a meagre £9.4 million (£37 million more is in theory due to be paid back in 20150 to debenture holders but thats NOT index linked and many will simply extend their debentures anyway)

Many in welsh rugby were furious as the WRUs obsession with paying the debt early, which really hammered the welsh regions as they felt the wru funding was too small and thats why there was a mass exodus of welsh talent abroad for 5 years. That CEO Roger Lewis was hated by many but hes gone now and in his defence debts are way down and he did bring in gatland and co who saw Wales win 3 grand slams and a championship, a world cup semi final and world quarter final in a decade

The WRU turnover last year was £73.9 million up a bit. Their regional budgets rose due to national dual contracts coming in a few years ago , Cardiff scarlets and ospreys have budgets of around £5 million each, dragons around £3.5 million

I read the Irish rugby union turned over £67 million last year, scottish was £54 million, english was £407 million (£200 million came from their world cup revenues)

Id be fascinated to read more on all the nations finances and the relative budgets of the unions and the elite clubs/provinces/regions

I had a quick look at the all blacks I think they turned over around £170 million in 2016

All contributions would be hugely appreciated

As a one eyed welsh supporter one cant help feeling that if we can stop the mass exodus of talent we saw to rugby league in the 1980s and 1990s and to richer rugby nations since 2000 then the regions and the national team could perhaps become more successful on the world stage. In reality the English rfu has massive revenues and far bigger tv deals. But their money is spread far more thinly across far more clubs players administrators etc in many ways running a smaller more compact system is easier to streamline

Latest posts