• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Stephen Ferris announces his retirement from rugby at 28

Sad day.

Was an unbelievable player on his day and if he'd managed to stay fit there's no telling what he could have acheived. One of my favourite players

It's been expected for a while and he obviously needed to but still a sad day.

Huge shame I remember the Lions SA tour was prob the best player there.

Could have been one of the best, huge lost for rugby.

Huge shame, that.
Hopefully he can still have a good quality of life in his retirement after all the problems he's had with his body.

Sic transit gloria mundi.

I've been watching you Peat, this is the second time you've posted this in a couple of weeks. Time to up your classics game.

Anyway, shame to see Ferris finally hang up his boots. Been on the cards for some time now. Omne capax movet urna nomen and all that jazz.

Anyone know how much Ulster were paying him? Enough to reinvest in a good squad player?

Sad day.

Was an unbelievable player on his day and if he'd managed to stay fit there's no telling what he could have acheived. One of my favourite players

It's been expected for a while and he obviously needed to but still a sad day.

yeah, GS next year and RWC, easy, no doubt ;)

I liked that guy. I'm very sorry for Ireland. Was looking forward to seeing him with SOB start for Ireland again...this reminds me, I'm totally going to watch 2011RWC AUS vs IRE again later, and maybe 2011RWC IRE vs WAL too. Ferris/O'Brien/Heaslip. What a shame guys, I feel for you.

The good thing is Ireland now have good depth for the third row and POM is a beautiful substitute. He's big, efficient and he's just 24. Perfect. Imagine if it'd been Sexton or R.Kearney announcing their retirement. Plus Ferris is 28 and at that age he's served, like he said, his club and country very well, and he's mature enough that he doesn't feel like he's at the top of his strengths and youth anymore. Yes 28 is fairly young, but I'm sure he's ripe enough to let it go, a lot more easily than if he were 24/25.

yeah, GS next year and RWC, easy, no doubt ;)

I liked that guy. I'm very sorry for Ireland. Was looking forward to seeing him with SOB start for Ireland again...this reminds me, I'm totally going to watch 2011RWC AUS vs IRE again later, and maybe 2011RWC IRE vs WAL too. Ferris/O'Brien/Heaslip. What a shame guys, I feel for you.

The good thing is Ireland now have good depth for the third row and POM is a beautiful substitute. He's big, efficient and he's just 24. Perfect. Imagine if it'd been Sexton or R.Kearney announcing their retirement. Plus Ferris is 28 and at that age he's served, like he said, his club and country very well, and he's mature enough that he doesn't feel like he's at the top of his strengths and youth anymore. Yes 28 is fairly young, but I'm sure he's ripe enough to let it go, a lot more easily than if he were 24/25.

Don't necessarily buy that. I'd imagine it's incredibly frustrating to have to sign off like that at any stage during your career. If I recall correctly it took David Wallace a long time to get over having been forced to retire due to injury, and he was around 34 at the time and had achieved a lot more in the game than Fez.

Very sad news that we didn't want to hear but probably knew was coming. Genuinely one of the best 6s out there, nearly unrivaled in ball carrying ability (in the NH anyway).
Absolute great man too.

Hugely disappointed for the man can only imagine the pain he went through to return all those times and then to only go straight back up the knife. One of Irish rugby's great talents lost. I hope he meets success in where he goes next.

Ah no. There were many more miles to run at that age, many left unrun because of his problems.

There is never a good age to retire. To retire with his potential unfulfilled and so much left undone must be incredibly bitter. Here's hoping he finds his happiness away from rugby.

I've been watching you Peat, this is the second time you've posted this in a couple of weeks. Time to up your classics game.

Anyway, shame to see Ferris finally hang up his boots. Been on the cards for some time now. Omne capax movet urna nomen and all that jazz.

Anyone know how much Ulster were paying him? Enough to reinvest in a good squad player?

One cannot be held responsible for the fact that you have a far greater interest in my past posts than myself.

One more time:

Last edited by a moderator:
Feic, Peat, you're not getting what I'm saying. I'm not saying it's absolutely the perfect time to stop and after all he gave enough and that's that, like he's some 35yo veteran. I'm saying that at very least he managed to play for Ireland, his country, was part of the side that beat Aus at the RWC, played for his club for a few years, went on a couple of Lions tour (although he never actually played).
RELATIVELY (to his young age), it's satisfactory enough given that he's shown that much; it could've been a whole lot less; and compared to cases where guys are anticipated to be the next McCaw or wtvr and have to stop at 24-25 and never get to showcase everything that they're about, I feel 28yo is a lesser pain for him.
There's a huge difference between being 23/24/25 and being 27/28. He'll never taste that aspect of his career; being ripe and having good experience but a little less youth; but he's at least tasted a good decade of pro Rugby.
I'm just saying that that's a lesser harm, stopping at 28.

I get what you're saying, I just disagree.

Folly. You can't get what I'm saying AND disagree. That's just weird thinking Feic !
Yeh okay, fair enough...well, you sure you don't want me to try a third time ??..

I get what you're saying, I just disagree.

Ditto.

From the man himself

"It would be very easy for me to give up and say I've had a good career and been to a couple of World Cups and played on a Lions tour and won a Grand Slam (2009).

"But for me, there's another Grand Slam and another Lions tour and another 100 caps for Ulster."

The fire didn't die. Right now, the consolation is probably scant. He was an intensely competitive man doing what he loved and the blow of nothing being able to do that and not achieving all he could will probably be huge for him right now. Or at least that's my thinking.

well obviously...he JUST retired. He wasn't gonna go "well, that was fun" and run like hell into the woods and never be seen. I just hope he understands he served both his club and country well and did all he could. Right now it's just beyond his control.

Latest posts