• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Stephen Ferris announces his retirement from rugby at 28

Are we doing favourites?

Last edited by a moderator:
Big power super strength happy man *overly joyous Japanese smiley*...so, we've got a free spot on that MK selection screen now...

btw. Just got the 2011RWC AUS IRE game. If anybody wants it, let me know now; if you have Dropbox, give me your email address and I'll send it.

well obviously...he JUST retired. He wasn't gonna go "well, that was fun" and run like hell into the woods and never be seen. I just hope he understands he served both his club and country well and did all he could. Right now it's just beyond his control.

Maybe. In time, yeah. You're right - but we're right too. He has some fantastic memories to look back on, he's done a lot - but jesus there's so much more to give. But compared to someone like Matt Hampson, or Nevin Spence, or Nick Duncombe, or John McCall... yeah. He's certainly given everything he can. For courage and intensity, he's had no superiors. Peers, yes, but no one bettered him there. Fez played like he thought he was Superman.

At least he knows where he is now, there's something there.

Interview here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27452442

Really sad news, an absolute monster of a player who, if life was fair, would probably deserve 50+ caps and a string of winners medals.

I suspect Will Genia is happy though...

Ditto.

From the man himself

"It would be very easy for me to give up and say I've had a good career and been to a couple of World Cups and played on a Lions tour and won a Grand Slam (2009).

"But for me, there's another Grand Slam and another Lions tour and another 100 caps for Ulster."

The fire didn't die. Right now, the consolation is probably scant. He was an intensely competitive man doing what he loved and the blow of nothing being able to do that and not achieving all he could will probably be huge for him right now. Or at least that's my thinking.

Full expect him to become a pretty damn decent forwards coach somewhere if he stays in rugby.

Full expect him to become a pretty damn decent forwards coach somewhere if he stays in rugby.

It's always hard to tell before a player retires how good a coach he'll be. In the case of Ferris this is especially difficult as he's so naturally talented. It may prove difficult for him to explain and teach techniques to lesser players things that came naturally to him, whereas if you look at someone like Bernard Jackman (now head coach of Grenoble) who wasn't incredibly naturally gifted but worked very hard at his game the transition may have been easier.

btw. Just got the 2011RWC AUS IRE game. If anybody wants it, let me know now; if you have Dropbox, give me your email address and I'll send it.

hey, last call. I got one request so far. I'm going to make a Dropbox folder shared by all at once, so this is the last call. Let me know if you're interested, quickly.

It's always hard to tell before a player retires how good a coach he'll be. In the case of Ferris this is especially difficult as he's so naturally talented. It may prove difficult for him to explain and teach techniques to lesser players things that came naturally to him, whereas if you look at someone like Bernard Jackman (now head coach of Grenoble) who wasn't incredibly naturally gifted but worked very hard at his game the transition may have been easier.

Thats true, but he has a good technical base, knows the game well and I think that will translate to a coaching role. Expect Sky/RTE to trot him out for next years Ulster HC games too

hey, last call. I got one request so far. I'm going to make a Dropbox folder shared by all at once, so this is the last call. Let me know if you're interested, quickly.

that's:
- 2011RWC AUS IRE
- 2011RWC IRE WAL

Will wait a few more hours, then the train's gotta go.

Latest posts