i know stiff arming is legal, ive done it myself
i was wondering when there is too much
like to the faceor what
shine some ideas plz

i know stiff arming is legal, ive done it myself
i was wondering when there is too much
like to the faceor what
shine some ideas plz [/b]

Stiff arming is pointless. It really is. There is no need for it what so ever.

If you want to be dirty in the tackle, then shoulder charge...at least then you have a chance of getting the player down to the ground.

usually the only time ive seen it called is usually while the person was still extending their elbow (like a punch with your palm), and it got the opponent right in the face. other refs have called anything to the face, or anything while the elbow is still extending. depends.

I was always under the impression that a stiff arm while running the ball, as long as your arm was already extended full before contact was legal.

I don't think that would be deemed a stiff arm then because the arm isn't in the motion of swinging in to the player.

So if I'm running the ball which does not happen often, but if someones coming to me for the tackle it's A-okay to straighten out my arm and put it on their forehead and guide their head away so I can make the few extra feet?

Just don't have your arm up around head level...Its probably just safer to palm off.

What I often do when I "pick and drive", is I put my arm out as a kind of battering ram, kind of the way you're suggesting I think.

Actually what I would suggest is to "play to the referee". I'm guessing you have heard that saying?

If you think you can get away with it, do whatever you want until the referee pulls you up on it. Test the waters. Quite often its the only way to know if you can do it or not because each referee has their own interpretation on the laws of the game.

Personally I used to palm or hand-off a tackler either on the shoulder that's going to make the hit or on his chest just under neck. If the tackler is coming low hand-off his shoulder, with him being so low you can guiding his shoulder downwards and away from you easily. Depending on the skill and size of the tackler of course.
If he's coming higher try the chest hand off, right underneath the neck. That region is in line with his arms, and if you get it right on you'll notice his arms will focus on spot (probably on the arm doing the hand off) making hard to get a proper grip.

Latest posts