Stop allowing for momentum on foward passes

Which Tyler

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Country Flag
France
Club or Nation
Bath
Make sure the ball has to be passed backwards in accordance with the markings on the pitch.

Well, we've had calls to ban the knock-on, ban kicking in open play, and (less recently) banning drop-goals, so why not?

FTR this is a ****-take thread, such a proposal would ruin rugby

That's something I'd entirely agree with. Takes out any guesswork in what is a crazy law.
Players should easily be able to adjust their passing as to the ball actually not to go forwards.

Make sure the ball has to be passed backwards in accordance with the markings on the pitch.

Well, we've had calls to ban the knock-on, ban kicking in open play, and (less recently) banning drop-goals, so why not?

FTR this is a ****-take thread, such a proposal would ruin rugby
I'm guessing this tongue in cheek from the examples, ah I see quoting highlighted an interesting part.

Yeah the problem is simple when a player is running at full pace how much effort is really required to stop the conservation of momentum with the ball. Reality is you'll never see quick offloading passes anymore because a player will have to slow down to pass.

Wouldn't banning the knock-on create a basket ball like situation where player bounce the ball forward off the ground to pass it?

Tongue in cheek or not, I 100% agree they should ban these. Its physically a forward pass hey just bent the rules.

Tongue in cheek or not, I 100% agree they should ban these. Its physically a forward pass hey just bent the rules.
Its not physically a forward pass the passing player throws it backwards if they were to keep running at the exact same pace at which he let go of the ball in a vacuum the ball would travel slower than them and therefore be behind them.

Its perceptually a forward pass.

You remove the currently ruling which understands GCSE level science and players will have to remove even more momentum than they already do. This will effectively rule out passing at top speed.

On the off chance it isn't joking, there is a video explaining the rule where a player literally throws the ball back over his head but it still travels forwards relative to the pitch. For something like that to be punished as a forward pass would, be even more farcical that the current situation IMO.

Latest posts