• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Stormers ?

B

blackbird762p

The Stormers never fails to amaze me.They have got stunning players but the coach just can't get it right with this side.As a South African I must say I wish that someone new would take over and really make this side a wonderful side like it can be.They have got the players but lack good coaching.Let's hope they will produce soon.

I wouldn't say they lack good coaching.

They did really well domestically last season, I think it's just first game jitters along with the cheetas being the stormers bogey team at their home grounds.

I would rather have had brent russel on from the start though, what exactly was he supposed to do with 8 minutes remaining ? :huh:

I'm not saying Cobus is a coach on the same standard as maybe Rassie or Muir but he took the province team labled as the "whipping boys" and finnish 3rd in last years currie cup, I don't think that's anything to snuff at.

Well Blackbird, I for one tend to agree with you on the Stormers coaching- not since the days of Alan Solomons have the Stormers had a decent coach- look, anything is an improvement on the Carel Du Plessis/Gert Smal duo- great players that they were, they were just plain shite in the coaching dept.

Unfortunately, Kobus looks like a bad Van der Merwe joke at this stage- even though his team performed well in last year`s Currie Cup, it was more down to some individual moments of brilliance by some very talented rugby players than any semblance of a game-plan.

I seriously wonder why a very successful coach in Gary Gold gets stuck with the Province u/21 team, with the backline guru Slapchips Rossouw as his assistant, while V D Merwe is allowed to muck up our forwards even further. Look, we don`t exactly have a powerhouse pack at the best of times, but there is some very exciting talent around, even in the tight 5, and he should be able to do better with the talent at his disposal.

That said, I do believe it`ll go much better this weekend, as the Stormers are up against a team that can`t really hurt them as much up front- the Force only really have Sharpe and Flava in the forwards who warrants some sleepless nights.

That said, I do believe it`ll go much better this weekend, as the Stormers are up against a team that can`t really hurt them as much up front- the Force only really have Sharpe and Flava in the forwards who warrants some sleepless nights.
[/b]

That's the key, the Stormers couldn't get any quick ball against the Sharks and it stifled their potentially exciting back-line. Their probably bring in Gerrie Britz to toughen up the pack and possibly put Russell at 10 to try and attack a good Force back-line.

That's the key, the Stormers couldn't get any quick ball against the Sharks and it stifled their potentially exciting back-line. Their probably bring in Gerrie Britz to toughen up the pack and possibly put Russell at 10 to try and attack a good Force back-line.
[/b]

Hmm what were you watching ? ...I know the games were one after the other but how drunk can you be ? :p

Ahh yes I suppose we don't have the best tight 5... infact I think we can do alot better, but hey it's going to be a australian team at Newlands this weekend, a case of who has the better backs maybe ?

In that case, I'm pretty hopefull that the Stormers will play a better game, and hopefully use the pocket rocket this time :ranting:

Hmm what were you watching ? ...I know the games were one after the other but how drunk can you be ? :p

Ahh yes I suppose we don't have the best tight 5... infact I think we can do alot better, but hey it's going to be a australian team at Newlands this weekend, a case of who has the better backs maybe ?

In that case, I'm pretty hopefull that the Stormers will play a better game, and hopefully use the pocket rocket this time :ranting:
[/b]

You being a Stormers fan I'd thought you'd be use to criticism :wink2: :D

Hopefully your right, after some poor first round games it would be good to see some exciting back play. Plus playing the game at a fast pace suits the likes of Brits, De Villiers, Conradie and Aplon.

I'd say 15+ win for the Stormers.

haha no you misunderstood, I was making fun at your comment on us playing against the sharks.

We played the cheetas last weekend, the Bulls played the Sharks ;)

Well Blackbird, I for one tend to agree with you on the Stormers coaching- not since the days of Alan Solomons have the Stormers had a decent coach- look, anything is an improvement on the Carel Du Plessis/Gert Smal duo- great players that they were, they were just plain shite in the coaching dept.

Unfortunately, Kobus looks like a bad Van der Merwe joke at this stage- even though his team performed well in last year`s Currie Cup, it was more down to some individual moments of brilliance by some very talented rugby players than any semblance of a game-plan.

I seriously wonder why a very successful coach in Gary Gold gets stuck with the Province u/21 team, with the backline guru Slapchips Rossouw as his assistant, while V D Merwe is allowed to muck up our forwards even further. Look, we don`t exactly have a powerhouse pack at the best of times, but there is some very exciting talent around, even in the tight 5, and he should be able to do better with the talent at his disposal.

[/b]

I agree BokMagic.A GOOD coach can make a weak side play good rugby but a BAD coach can't even get a good side to play well.I really think Kobus is the kind of coach that "tells" the guys what he wants them to do on the field but he doesn't now how to implement his gameplan with 15 players on the field.So there is no constructive "plan" and at the end of the day you are not going forward.ANY good coach will also implement at least 3 gameplans to play by during the game,adjusting to conditions etc on the field.The stormers (Province) doesn't lack talent...they do lack a guiding system to get the best out of them during a game.Saturday..well they didn't get enough good fast ball to play with and found themselfes in a situation where they didn't know what to do anymore.Plan 2 ? Plan 3 ? Even Luke got frustrated with things and it's then when penalties pop etc.Let's hope for a better game on Friday.Thanks for your input BokMagic.BLACKBIRD

<div class='quotemain'>That said, I do believe it`ll go much better this weekend, as the Stormers are up against a team that can`t really hurt them as much up front- the Force only really have Sharpe and Flava in the forwards who warrants some sleepless nights.
[/b]

[/b][/quote]

Yep.Quick ball is the difference between an overlap and a possible gab and a crash into heavy traffic.On saturday the cheetahs could run from deep and keep the Stormers on the defence.It made the difference.Point taken.

Latest posts