• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super 14 2006 Review

• Thread starter THE CHIROPRACTOR101
  • Start date
T

THE CHIROPRACTOR101

straight up,i thought this year was gonna be a kick ass tournament with millions of brilliant tries and a ton of big thwacks and smashes...but quite honestly it just picked up from last year..added 2 new teams and rode the same level as the previous super 12 tournament

maybe becoz my blues didnt perform :D but the tightness of the whole tournament just reflects the adjustment in defences thats been evident in the past 4years of global rugby,as the attacking schemes of teams and individuals getting better the defence has had a panel beater rearrange the whole body of a teams defensive structure....you see the rush tactics of the south africans,the rugby league defence of the aussie style and the in ya face controlled aggresive tackling of the kiwis...this should make for an excellent trinations(even if im against watching the allblacks win an extra two times this year........ :p )

back on point,the tournament as entertainment value to me personally dropped off when my team didnt perform..i admit to that,i had a great joy watching individuals perform tho..jerry collins,digby ioane,bryon habana,sitiveni sivivatu,richie mccaw,sione lauaki...(btw my second choice team is the canes..coz my cousin tana plays for them)
anyways i would say from a wider view this tournament was largely better than last years..due to the new teams and also new youngsters who stepped up,made for interesting viewing...

the force were very solid,but when the blues started there 1st campaign they won the damn thing <_< :lol: ..the cheetahs were practically the same but had much better depth to draw from and were more successful then the force

GAME OF THE YEAR
for me it had to be the force vs the crusaders..if they had pulled the victory off the crusaders would go a rampage and kill the remander teams by 50+ but they didnt..so everyone thank the force :bravo:

but i believe they were robbed of that try..the reason this gets my pick was becoz it was the perfect under dog vs over...dog scenario :blink: ...it reminded me of rocky 1 even tho he drew he put up the fight no one thought he could fight and had a personal victory to put in his mind..so next year which will be like rocky 2,3,4 where the force will win more then 1 game..something like 3 or 4 games and then on rocky 5...no one will give a flying dutchman f*** about them..untill rocky 6 comes out when campese plays for them..and it becomes a major flop at the attendence records shown :)

anywho :ph34r: OGA BOOGA

TEAM OF THE YEAR
(as voted by the millions of mega pixels that sit in my 270 inch moniter)

1- Os du Randt (cheetahs)
a living breathing artifact from the bronze ages,a monster but still technically one of the better props going round as proved by a some what successful new comers campaign to the s14 level

2- Adam Frier (Waratahs)
the best and most consistant hooker in the super14,aussies have some very talented hookers and he may push for a staring wallaby jersey..scored a bunch of tries and hes been practising his benji marshall sidestep :lol: ..well deserved if he makes top wallaby hooker

3- Carl Hayman (Highlanders)
the human scrum machine with 20 tonne sandbags on it..you cannot move this thing unless it moves you

4- Victor Matfield (Bulls)
freakin toughy between him,eaton and jack but come on..if you follow the bulls like i do(only to watch my bro habana) you will notice his authority in pretty much every line out,ruck and maul..i believe he is the best lock in the world and his super14 campaign show cased his talents

5- Daniel Vickerman (Waratahs)
no.2 or no.3 best lock in the world..atm,acts as another looseforward and did pretty much what victor has done barring that real leadership role(coz matfield is the captain)a leader none the less he and waugh pretty much hold the aussie forwards in rucks,mauls and general fringe defence

6- Jerry Collins (Hurricanes)
anyone watch the game last week would like to note down that jerry collins can play 1st 5 aswell as he plays loose forward... :lol: there is only one forward in the world i would trust to float amongst the backs and it would be collins..he still hits like a mack truck

7- Richie McCaw (Cruasaders)
need we say more?

8- Rodney Soloialo (Hurricanes)
he may just walk right back into that all black no.8 jersey with the game hes on now..him,masoe and collins have been the schoolyard bullies this season..skools in session and they gave everyone detentions...rodney being key..his defence has been amazing throughout

9- Sam Cordingly (Red)
yeah he got injured but what he did to kelleher and gregan?...hahahahahah queensland were due more victories if he didnt get injured..rounds 1 - 6 he was hands down best halfback in the super14,that is almost half the season..half the season of that good consistantcy was half the season better then every other halfback barring ruan pienaar

10- Daniel Carter (Cruasaders)
i have a soft spot for this little girl

11- Lome Faatau (Hurricanes)
vrrrrroooooooooooooooooooommmmmmmmmm...try x bay of plenty tries

12- Rua Tipoki (Blues)
:ph34r: ..what can i say,best mover in the backfield in shortrange combat but one of the most stupid decision makers(discipline wise) i have ever witnessed

13- Stirling Mortlock (Brumbies)
best centre in the super14...no doubt

14- Bryan Habana (Bulls)
the most dangerous winger in the game,had some injury but lets be honest..everytime he is on the field he is eaither working towards an intercept,a big hit,long range try or a big hit then an a intercept and a long range try..it comes off like 90% of the time..very hard worker..if hes not scoring tries he is making the tackles that count

15- Peter Hewat (Waratahs)
the fact his kicking goals over 80% and hes the fullback that makes great yardage on kick returns does it for me,i mean leon mcdonald has the easier job running off gear,carter and mauger..i just think hewat does an extra bit more than mcdonald..has been in general play ten times better than last year..when he was intercepting every bloody pass..he can still do that,as hes done it twice this year but hes not a winger as much..well..now that sailor has gone on the cocaine boat

thats my team of the year..YOU GOTTA PROBLEM WIT THAT!?!?...GO GET %$^%*&...YA %$#&^%&...wankers :)

its been a good year for the rugby,not for me an my precious blues but in general the tournament has set another standard for our top players to get ready from..for the test season

memorable moments
-sailor goes night clubbing...with his baseball bat
-sailor then jumps on the cocaine ship to nowhere..and gets his ass booted out
-faatau fights jerry collins :ph34r:
-lavea is breathing :ph34r:
-blues get they ass kicked by the gaysaders and the war-retarbhs,but we were handi capped coz we had lavea..and hes like got down and up syndrome
-force vs crusaders
-luke mccalistair gets knocked tha f***out by nic evans
-rokocoko gets steam rolled by the hobit formerly known as ben blair
-umaga OWNS turinui and his family
-jason eaton hair cut
-tom boys hair cut..his whole freakin face

ahhh..memories :bravo:

semi finals on kids!..have a good one

by tha "chulk practor..so freakin incredible101"

everyone happy wit the all-super14 squad?...im hoping the northerners could post up a all-heineken cup team and we can discuss which i better in the general section

Solid team Chiro, but man I know the Tahs lost, but all the same Lote OWNED Faatau in that game! He palmed him off at least 3 teams and ran around him a couple as well! The guy can't tackle.

12. Mauger

As for the rest of it, if I was picking an all stars team to smash the northern hemisphere... that’s the team I'd be choosing

Originally posted by sanzar@May 22 2006, 11:41 PM
Solid team Chiro, but man I know the Tahs lost, but all the same Lote OWNED Faatau in that game! He palmed him off at least 3 teams and ran around him a couple as well! The guy can't tackle.
That team was posted before that game... Besides, Tuqiri hasn't been outstanding for the whole season. I thought he's been quite hot-cold.

Originally posted by kaftka+May 23 2006, 03:58 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-sanzar
@May 22 2006, 11:41 PM
That team was posted before that game... Besides, Tuqiri hasn't been outstanding for the whole season. I thought he's been quite hot-cold. [/b]
Tuqiri isn't a hot cold player... he either plays brilliantly, or is a little quiet, but never cold (with the inference that he is an abomination on the teams efforts like say Lavea).

Time to move Tuqiri to center (OK not for the Wallabies but he'd be a good backup).

Originally posted by sanzar@May 22 2006, 11:41 PM
I could of told you that 3 years ago every Wellington supporter knows he cant tackle so when in the last round robin game when Lote chipped over his head i was shocked because i would've gone right through him.

Originally posted by sanzar+May 24 2006, 11:29 AM-->
Originally posted by kaftka@May 23 2006, 03:58 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-sanzar
@May 22 2006, 11:41 PM

That team was posted before that game... Besides, Tuqiri hasn't been outstanding for the whole season. I thought he's been quite hot-cold.
Tuqiri isn't a hot cold player... he either plays brilliantly, or is a little quiet, but never cold (with the inference that he is an abomination on the teams efforts like say Lavea). [/b]
That's what I mean by hot-cold.

He has some good games, and some not so good games. He hasn't been standout this season. Just a couple of games where he's really kicked arse.

Originally posted by THE CHIROPRACTOR101@May 18 2006, 04:46 AM
btw my second choice team is the canes..coz my cousin tana plays for them)
yeah tana's my cousin too.. yeah right! haha juz playin bro..
you're team is pretty strong tho chiro i don't really have any arguments there, reserves? eaton has got to be the back up lock!!!
2nd 5 tho, i wudn't have tipoki there becoz he makes those dumb decisions. and even if he didn't i'd probably have someone like tana or sam tu'itupou but then again i'm biased..

Super 14 Quotes of the year

"Nobody in Rugby should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like
Norman Einstein." - Jono Gibbs - Chiefs

"I'm going to graduate on time, no matter how long it takes." - Rodney
So'ialo - Hurricanes - on University

"You guys line up alphabetically by height." and "You guys pair up in
groups of three, then line up in a circle." - Colin Cooper - Hurricanes
head coach

Chris Masoe (Hurricanes) on whether he had visited the Pyramids during
his visit to Egypt: "I can't really remember the names of the clubs that
we went to."

"He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what
time it is." - Colin Cooper on Paul ***o

Kevin Senio (Auckland), on Night Rugby vs Day Games "It's basically the
same, just darker."

David Nosafora (Auckland) talking about Troy Flavell "I told him, 'Son,
what is it with you. Is it ignorance or apathy?' He said, 'David, I
don't know and I don't care.'

David Holwell (Hurricanes) when asked about the upcoming season: "I want
to reach for 150 or 200 points this season, whichever comes first."

"Andy Ellis - the 21 year old, who turned 22 a few weeks ago"(Murray
Mexted)

"Colin has done a bit of mental arithmetic with a calculator." (Ma Nonu)

"He scored that try after only 22 seconds - totally against the run of
play." (Murray Mexted)

"We actually got the winning try three minutes from the end but then
they scored." (Phil Waugh Warratah)

"I've never had major knee surgery on any other part of my body." (Jerry
Collins)

"That kick was absolutely unique, except for the one before it which was
identical." (Tony Brown)

"I owe a lot to my parents, especially my mother and father." (Tana
Umaga)

"Sure there have been injuries and deaths in rugby - but none of them
serious." (Doc Mayhew)

"If history repeats itself, I should think we can expect the same thing
again."(Anton Oliver)

"I would not say he (Rico Gear) is the best left winger in the Super 14,
but there are none better." (Murray Mexted)

"I never comment on referees and I'm not going to break the habit of a
lifetime for that prat." (Ewan McKenzie)

Murray Deaker: "Have you ever thought of writing your autobiography?"
Tana Umaga: "On what ?"

"Well, either side could win it, or it could be a draw."(Murray Mexted)

"Strangely, in slow motion replay, the ball seemed to hang in the air
for even longer."(Murray Mexted)

Lol... I love those quotes.

They're in my sporting jokes book I got about 5 years ago...

XD

Somehow I get the feeling some of those are made up but the Mexted ones sound totally like something uttered by him. Well done Candyman

Half of those have been nicked from English football.

For example:

If history repeats itself, I should think we can expect the same thing
again.[/b]

was said by Terry Venables.

And

Well, either side could win it, or it could be a draw.[/b]

is definately from a football commentary.

Originally posted by 187+May 31 2006, 10:04 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-THE CHIROPRACTOR101
@May 18 2006, 04:46 AM
btw my second choice team is the canes..coz my cousin tana plays for them)
yeah tana's my cousin too.. yeah right! haha juz playin bro..
you're team is pretty strong tho chiro i don't really have any arguments there, reserves? eaton has got to be the back up lock!!!
2nd 5 tho, i wudn't have tipoki there becoz he makes those dumb decisions. and even if he didn't i'd probably have someone like tana or sam tu'itupou but then again i'm biased.. [/b]
well he gave the blues some polish and did carve up when he was on game....and yeh we could do with reserves

cue

Originally posted by SaintsFan_Webby@Jun 1 2006, 07:30 PM
Hal of those have been nicked from English football.

For example:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
If history repeats itself, I should think we can expect the same thing
again.

was said by Terry Venables.

And

Well, either side could win it, or it could be a draw.[/b]

is definately from a football commentary. [/b][/quote]
The only one missing is the "For those of you watching on Black and white, the Wasps are in the yellow and black strip."

Latest posts