• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super 14 Semi-finals

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
Largest potential fanbases sure, but what's the percentage of fair weather fans? Judging by last season.....quite high...plus despite all the money NSW get from ARU they still can't stay in the black ;)
[/b]
I'm not debating the state of the NSWRU, I never even brought it up. What I was saying is that the success of rugby in Australia's most populace state is essential for the success of Australian rugby as a whole. Disparagement does not help, in fact it's counter-productive, and quite honestly, annoying by just how repetitive and unimaginative it is.
[/b][/quote]

The fact is that in the professional era of rugby the Waratahs success has been followed by the Wallabies' worst performances.

During the Wallabies golden era between 1998 - 2001 the Waratahs best finish was 6th in 1998, and 8th and 9th in the following years. Every year up until 2005 they'd been in the shadows of the Brumbies and Reds.

Statistics would say that success for the Brumbies and Reds seems to be more important for Australian rugby.

However, I don't really buy into that. But I don't think that a successful Waratahs side is essential for Australian rugby. We were at our peak when they were by far the worst Australian team. But, I do believe for Australia to be successful then we need more than one of our teams to be successful.

Hopefully if the Brumbies beat the Stormers with a bonus point, the Crusaders beat the Sharks (will probably happen) and the Force beat the Chiefs that will push the Brumbies into 5th spot and will have a sniff of the finals. I think it would be great if we can have two teams in the finals.

Unfortunately for the Brumbies they've missed out on the finals for 3 years straight because of a single point. I think they really deserved to be there last year and couldn't beaten anyone anywhere with the form they had in the last half of the season. I don't think they're anywhere near as good as they were last year but it would be pretty spectacular if they could sneak into the finals.

I'll be rooting for the Force this weekend. But then I'll be bitter if the Brumbies lose because that'll push you guys above us... :wall:
[/b][/quote]

More chance of the Lions avoiding the wooden spoon ;)
[/b][/quote]

I don't know about that. The Stormers have now lost Burger and Liebenberg after already losing Chavanga and Moller.

The Brumbies have a pretty good record against the Stormers in South Africa. I'm hoping they'll pick up their act after last weeks poor effort and starve the Stormers of the ball. Without Burger there I would like to think Smith and Salvi will frustrate them at the breakdown.

The bonus point would just be a nice added bonus.
[/b][/quote]

I think the Brumbies could win, but its very unlikely they will get a bonus point. The physicality is much higher than from the Lions who matched them last week, as you say though Burgers out which has forced Rassie to make a total of seven changes.

this is what i'll predict.

1. crusaders
2. waratahs
3. sharks
4. stormers

well i did my math... and the stormers could go second if results go their way XD. wishful, but possible :p. tip the stormers to beat the brumbies this weekend, beat the tahs, and get 5 points from the lions and the bulls to beat the tahs as well, would make for an interesting finish
[/b]

Yea, im sure 44 points would be good enough. Last year it was only 40.

Personally I think the Super14 Semi-Finals will be;

Crusaders vs Stormers

Waratahs vs Chiefs

The Super14 Final will then be played between the Chiefs and the Stormers.

Crusaders vs Stormers

Waratahs vs Chiefs

[/b]

I think that semi prediction will be right, i would be amazed if we could win in Christchurch. But who knows the Crusaders have been caught by a few teams now in terms of performance so their not as good as in the earliy rounds i feel. I would definetely go for the Chiefs over the Tahs but only just, they had a really close game early in the season.

<div class='quotemain'>

Crusaders vs Stormers

Waratahs vs Chiefs

[/b]

I think that semi prediction will be right, i would be amazed if we could win in Christchurch. But who knows the Crusaders have been caught by a few teams now in terms of performance so their not as good as in the earliy rounds i feel. I would definetely go for the Chiefs over the Tahs but only just, they had a really close game early in the season. [/b][/quote]

That's what I'm picking, only the Crusaders will beat the Stormers and then beat the Chiefs in the final, they are not going to lose three in a row to the Chiefs. Chiefs will beat Waratahs because base don their record in Australia this year they have 1 Win from 1 :p In fact, in all fgames outside of NZ they have 1 win out of 1 :p I love this reversed 06 draw!

Wow what a round. The Force have really hurt the Chiefs' chances of making the semis and the Bulls victory over the Waratahs have put the second home semi final wide open. The Mighty Hurricanes could make that second home semi if they beat the Force and Blues and if the Waratahs lose 1 of their remaining games against the Stormers or Reds. Their next game vs the Stormers would be a massive game. I'm still picking the Sharks to make a semi-final appearance. With the support back at home in Durban, it will cheer up the team when playing against the Cheetahs and Chiefs. Chiefs vs Sharks would be a stunner 'do or die' match. I'm still with my top 4. Anyone want to change their top 4 pick? Feel free to hehe.

This is what I'm predicting for the final two games. I won't bother doing Crusaders or any team below the Blues.

2nd Waratahs
37 Points
vs Stormers - 1 Point
vs Reds - 5 Points
Total Points: 43
Final Placing: 3rd

3rd Hurricanes
36 Points
vs Force - 5/4 Points
vs Blues - 1 Point
Total Points: 42/41
Final Placing: 4th/5th

4th Stormers
35 Points
vs Waratahs - 4 Points
vs Lions - 5 Points
Total Points: 44 Points
Final Placing: 2nd

5th Chiefs
33 Points
vs Lions - 5 Points
vs Sharks - 4 Points
Total Points: 42

6th Sharks
32 Points
vs Cheetahs - 5 Points
vs Chiefs - 1 Point
Total Points: 38
Final Placing: 7th

7th Blues
31 Points
vs Highlanders - 5 Points
vs Hurricanes - 4 Points
Total Points: 40
Final Placing: 6th

This means the table will look something like...
1. Crusaders
2. Stormers
3. Waratahs
4. Chiefs/Hurricanes
5. Hurricanes/Chiefs
6. Blues
7. Sharks

Ultimately, unless the Chiefs lose to the Lions or something like that happens, it'll come down to the last game. Sharks could push for a Semi spot too.

Hey nice work CF. Well organized layout, I was thinkn of doing something like that :p . But hey don't forget the Hurricanes have a huge 'differential points' differents over most teams racing for the semi spots (ex. Crusaders). You predict the Waratahs will win against the Stormers; gaining 4 points and the Hurricanes over the Force gaining 4/5 points. If the 'Canes do win with a bonus point (Waratahs and 'Canes will each be on 41 pts) then they are most likely to be placed at second giving them confidence in the deciding 'home semi' match against the Blues. I hope this happens though.

Go 'Canes!

1.Crusaders
2.Hurricanes
3.Stormers
4.Waratahs

Stormer should be able to beat the Lion and get a bonus point and the Waratahs have probably taken a knock to their confidence after losing to the bulls so the Stormers could edge them out.
Hurricanes should be able to get five points if they play to their potential against the Force and 4 more against the Blues. The loss by the chiefs has definitely helped their cause.
Waratahs will probably lose to the Stormers but take the bonus point. The reds could pose some problems and maybe deny the 'tahs a bonus point

This is what I'm predicting for the final two games. I won't bother doing Crusaders or any team below the Blues.

2nd Waratahs
37 Points
vs Stormers - 1 Point
vs Reds - 5 Points
Total Points: 43
Final Placing: 3rd

3rd Hurricanes
36 Points
vs Force - 5/4 Points
vs Blues - 1 Point
Total Points: 42/41

4th Stormers
35 Points
vs Waratahs - 4 Points
vs Lions - 5 Points
Total Points: 44 Points
Final Placing: 2nd

5th Chiefs
33 Points
vs Lions - 5 Points
vs Sharks - 4 Points
Total Points: 42

6th Sharks
32 Points
vs Cheetahs - 5 Points
vs Chiefs - 1 Point
Total Points: 38
Final Placing: 7th

7th Blues
31 Points
vs Highlanders - 5 Points
vs Hurricanes - 4 Points
Total Points: 40
Final Placing: 6th

This means the table will look something like...
1. Crusaders
2. Stormers
3. Waratahs
4. Chiefs/Hurricanes
5. Hurricanes/Chiefs
6. Blues
7. Sharks

Ultimately, unless the Chiefs lose to the Lions or something like that happens, it'll come down to the last game. Sharks could push for a Semi spot too. [/b]

Well look like that happened, the Chiefs lost to the Lions. Perhaps you jinxed them.

Sharks till in there!! [/b]

Yep they're still hangin in there. Here are the important games to watch. 3 semi-final spots are still wide open.

Blues vs Hurricanes

Reds vs Waratahs

Lions vs Stormers

Sharks vs Chiefs

The Lions were the spoilers of the weekend, putting the Chiefs down. This week if the 'Canes, 'Tahs and Stormers win, then the Sharks and Chiefs (last game of the round) can forget about the semis and play for pride.

Go 'Canes!

Of course if all three lose and get no bonus points then the Sharks Chiefs game could decide the fourth qualifier :p

Well 3 rounds remaining and the race is on for the top 4. The Crusaders are likely (as always) to make a home semi with their remaining games against the Sharks, Reds and Highlanders. The Waratahs should be confident of making the semis with a chance to have it at home. They have the Bulls, Stormers and Reds left to play. The Sharks will have to work a little harder when playing the Crusaders and Chiefs. They also have the Cheetahs. Losing 2 games could easily see them slip out of the top 4. Same goes to the Chiefs with their games against the Force, Lions and Sharks.

Then there's the Mighty Hurricanes :bleh!: who will fit into the top 4 easily hehe. They should beat the Lions and Force here at home. Their last game with the Blues at Eden Park would be a great game. Hopefully results come our way. Stormers have a pretty hard task against the Brumbies and Waratahs. These games could be close. Other teams with an outside chance of making it are the Brumbies and Blues.

My pick for the last 4 would be.

1. Crusaders

2. Waratahs

3. Hurricanes

4. Sharks

[/b]

Ok now the 'tight' semi finals have been found. My prediction 3 weeks ago for the last 4 was spot on :bana: ,
just the 3rd and 4th I missed. I think this year has been one of the weakest Crusaders team for many years even though they've topped the table by miles. It would be a closer battle for the Hurricanes to finally beat them at AMI next week. Once again another 'mini All Black' trial after playing the Blues last week. The Sharks are on fire now after they thrashed the hopeless Chiefs.

Final Placings

1. Crusaders

2. Waratahs

3. Sharks

4. Hurricanes

Semi-finals

Crusaders vs Hurricanes, Christchurch

Waratahs vs Sharks, Sydney

My prediction for the final: Sharks vs Hurricanes :D

I remember thinking a few weeks back the Stormers and Chiefs would play each other after being 2nd and 3rd. I would go for a Crusaders vs Sharks final, both matches will be very tight though. I agree with you, this isnt a great Crusaders side, all teams at the start of the season except the Blues were just terrible. Cantebury just lack pace, i mean Caleb Ralph, that guy runs like a prop. Saying that over the season they were still easily the best team.

...Saying that over the season they were still easily the best team. [/b]

Actually I would put the Stormers up there too. They've performed very well this season but gotta feel sorry for them. Their win over the Lions saved the Hurricanes and Sharks semi hopes so that's sweet for the 'Canes. :p But the Stormers were undefeated right from round 7 til the very end and that's something to be proud of.

I think the Waratahs are the team that looks like this years champions. I am hoping for the Crusaders but they look a bit suspect in defence.

The Sharks played well at home against the Chiefs but going to Sydney will produce the typical result of a defeat on the road.

The Hurricanes if they ambush the Crusaders would suffer the same result as the Sharks in Sydney.

The only team with a chance of stopping the Waratahs are the Crusaders playing them in a final at AMI stadium. The Crusaders players and fans would not fail Robbie at home in his last game as coach.

The Crusaders players and fans would not fail Robbie at home in his last game as coach.

[/b]

How emotional a finals game would be for the best Super Rugby coach.

I think the Waratahs are the team that looks like this years champions. I am hoping for the Crusaders but they look a bit suspect in defence.

The Sharks played well at home against the Chiefs but going to Sydney will produce the typical result of a defeat on the road.

The Hurricanes if they ambush the Crusaders would suffer the same result as the Sharks in Sydney.

The only team with a chance of stopping the Waratahs are the Crusaders playing them in a final at AMI stadium. The Crusaders players and fans would not fail Robbie at home in his last game as coach.
[/b]
I hope you're right GG, but the Tahs have a habbit of being too conservative in finals and just trying to grind games out, and I fear if they persist with that in the finals they may not last long.
Still though, they've managed to win almost all their close games this year and have been incredibly tough in Sydney especially, so here's hoping.
Not sure of what to make of the Sharks match up. On the one hand I'm glad because we beat them already and they haven't travelled well this year, but on the other hand they just thumped the crap out of the Cheifs (granted the Cheifs have seriously gone off the rails - losing to the Lions last week - but it's still intimidating). So we could be in for a tough match.

Latest posts