• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super 14 Semi-finals

W

Wellycane

Well 3 rounds remaining and the race is on for the top 4. The Crusaders are likely (as always) to make a home semi with their remaining games against the Sharks, Reds and Highlanders. The Waratahs should be confident of making the semis with a chance to have it at home. They have the Bulls, Stormers and Reds left to play. The Sharks will have to work a little harder when playing the Crusaders and Chiefs. They also have the Cheetahs. Losing 2 games could easily see them slip out of the top 4. Same goes to the Chiefs with their games against the Force, Lions and Sharks.

Then there's the Mighty Hurricanes :bleh!: who will fit into the top 4 easily hehe. They should beat the Lions and Force here at home. Their last game with the Blues at Eden Park would be a great game. Hopefully results come our way. Stormers have a pretty hard task against the Brumbies and Waratahs. These games could be close. Other teams with an outside chance of making it are the Brumbies and Blues.

My pick for the last 4 would be.

1. Crusaders

2. Waratahs

3. Hurricanes

4. Sharks

Well 3 rounds remaining and the race is on for the top 4. The Crusaders are likely (as always) to make a home semi with their remaining games against the Sharks, Reds and Highlanders. The Waratahs should be confident of making the semis with a chance to have it at home. They have the Bulls, Stormers and Reds left to play. The Sharks will have to work a little harder when playing the Crusaders and Chiefs. They also have the Cheetahs. Losing 2 games could easily see them slip out of the top 4. Same goes to the Chiefs with their games against the Force, Lions and Sharks.

Then there's the Mighty Hurricanes :bleh!: who will fit into the top 4 easily hehe. They should beat the Lions and Force here at home. Their last game with the Blues at Eden Park would be a great game. Hopefully results come our way. Stormers have a pretty hard task against the Brumbies and Waratahs. These games could be close. Other teams with an outside chance of making it are the Brumbies and Blues.

My pick for the last 4 would be.

1. Crusaders

2. Waratahs

3. Hurricanes

4. Sharks

[/b]

Ha!

The Chiefs are getting more confident with each game and should come on stronger with the final weeks and come third.

Actually.....the Chiefs under Ian Foster always stumble!

1) Crusaders
2) Waratahs
3) Chiefs
4) Stormers

Obviously.
[/b]

I think thats about right, it mainly comes down to the Tahs-Stormers match, im confident that the Stormers at Newlands can win but whichever team loses will definetley lose the chance of a home semi. The Chiefs have a decent run in, the only tough team is the Sharks in Durban. The Canes can score alot of points but as we have seen against the bigger sides like the Crusaders,Stormers and Sharks they have struggled. Its still in the balance..

I can't believe the Waratahs are second on the ladder?

They're filled with Wallaby tragics in the forwards, and some fairly average backline players..... yet.... they've only lost two games?!

Has the inclusion of Polata-Nau and Burgess really made that much of a difference?!

I just don't understand...

They're filled with Wallaby tragics in the forwards, and some fairly average backline players..... yet.... they've only lost two games?!

Has the inclusion of Polata-Nau and Burgess really made that much of a difference?!

I just don't understand... [/b]
Wow, yeah it's just crazy isn't it?
I know it's very tough on you lot (what with you being in 7th place and all), but maybe, just maybe... they might not be as clueless and talentless as you and the NSW-hate club are always trying to make out?
:bleh!:

I just don't understand... [/b]

Theyve come thru with the goods with a few scrappy wins that may have gone either way but the sacking of mckenzie was the turning point imo. The huge pressure for him and the team perform or else was pretty much lifted.

I still hate the tahs.

Wow, yeah it's just crazy isn't it?
I know it's very tough on you lot (what with you being in 7th place and all), but maybe, just maybe... they might not be as clueless and talentless as you and the NSW-hate club are always trying to make out?
:bleh!:
[/b]
Nope, they are paying off the refs to help them cheat. :p

I know this might sounds pretty radical, quite out there and bizarre. Yet, have you guys ever considered that the success of another Australian team might be a good thing?

I mean it's hard for some people to look at the big picture, but the Reds and the Tahs have the biggest potential fan bases in Australia, which when compounded with a competitive sports market and a lack of funds in Australian rugby means that it's essential that they perform so as to increase ticket-sales and the popularity of the sport in Australia. Their success is fundamental for the well-being of the national side.

Oh yes, don't get me wrong, a side made solely from Brumbies and Force players would be truly unbeatable! I think the AB's would veritably quiver at the thought of such a revolutionary idea. Yet the fact still remains that WA and ACT have relatively small potential fan-bases when compared to NSW and Queensland.

All the while you guys moan that the Tahs are ****, should not be where they are, and voice your disapproval of their victories; take into account that, if your wishes are fulfilled, you'll be cutting your nose off to spite your face.

Largest potential fanbases sure, but what's the percentage of fair weather fans? Judging by last season.....quite high...plus despite all the money NSW get from ARU they still can't stay in the black ;)

haha nice one blr.

I like the reds....i was cheering for em bigtime against the chiefs.
I'll be cheering for the bulls this weekend and stormers weekend after! :p

1) Crusaders
2) Waratahs
3) Chiefs
4) Stormers

Obviously. [/b]

couldn't agree more.

and if luke burgess isn't wearing a green and gold no. 9 jersey in a few months then i don't know anything about rugby

Largest potential fanbases sure, but what's the percentage of fair weather fans? Judging by last season.....quite high...plus despite all the money NSW get from ARU they still can't stay in the black ;)
[/b]

I'm not debating the state of the NSWRU, I never even brought it up. What I was saying is that the success of rugby in Australia's most populace state is essential for the success of Australian rugby as a whole. Disparagement does not help, in fact it's counter-productive, and quite honestly, annoying by just how repetitive and unimaginative it is.

No club is perfect, the force are a shining example of that, though then you have Greg Growden to point that out. Hang on, that may be at least one reason why you guys have the shits with us 'easterners'.

No club is perfect, the force are a shining example of that, though then you have Greg Growden to point that out. Hang on, that may be at least one reason why you guys have the shits with us 'easterners'.
[/b]
Nah, it's just a rule of Australian rugby that if your not a Tah supporter you hate the Tahs...it is as easy as a duck taking to water...

I have the shits with SMH because of Growdens witch hunts and lies. (remember Giteau was supposed to be seeking a release from his Force contract to move back to the ACT at the end of last season)

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
I'm not debating the state of the NSWRU, I never even brought it up. What I was saying is that the success of rugby in Australia's most populace state is essential for the success of Australian rugby as a whole. Disparagement does not help, in fact it's counter-productive, and quite honestly, annoying by just how repetitive and unimaginative it is.
[/b][/quote]

The fact is that in the professional era of rugby the Waratahs success has been followed by the Wallabies' worst performances.

During the Wallabies golden era between 1998 - 2001 the Waratahs best finish was 6th in 1998, and 8th and 9th in the following years. Every year up until 2005 they'd been in the shadows of the Brumbies and Reds.

Statistics would say that success for the Brumbies and Reds seems to be more important for Australian rugby.

However, I don't really buy into that. But I don't think that a successful Waratahs side is essential for Australian rugby. We were at our peak when they were by far the worst Australian team. But, I do believe for Australia to be successful then we need more than one of our teams to be successful.

Hopefully if the Brumbies beat the Stormers with a bonus point, the Crusaders beat the Sharks (will probably happen) and the Force beat the Chiefs that will push the Brumbies into 5th spot and will have a sniff of the finals. I think it would be great if we can have two teams in the finals.

Unfortunately for the Brumbies they've missed out on the finals for 3 years straight because of a single point. I think they really deserved to be there last year and couldn't beaten anyone anywhere with the form they had in the last half of the season. I don't think they're anywhere near as good as they were last year but it would be pretty spectacular if they could sneak into the finals.

I'll be rooting for the Force this weekend. But then I'll be bitter if the Brumbies lose because that'll push you guys above us... :wall:

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
[/b][/quote]

The fact is that in the professional era of rugby the Waratahs success has been followed by the Wallabies' worst performances.

During the Wallabies golden era between 1998 - 2001 the Waratahs best finish was 6th in 1998, and 8th and 9th in the following years. Every year up until 2005 they'd been in the shadows of the Brumbies and Reds.

Statistics would say that success for the Brumbies and Reds seems to be more important for Australian rugby.

However, I don't really buy into that. But I don't think that a successful Waratahs side is essential for Australian rugby. We were at our peak when they were by far the worst Australian team. But, I do believe for Australia to be successful then we need more than one of our teams to be successful.

Hopefully if the Brumbies beat the Stormers with a bonus point, the Crusaders beat the Sharks (will probably happen) and the Force beat the Chiefs that will push the Brumbies into 5th spot and will have a sniff of the finals. I think it would be great if we can have two teams in the finals.

Unfortunately for the Brumbies they've missed out on the finals for 3 years straight because of a single point. I think they really deserved to be there last year and couldn't beaten anyone anywhere with the form they had in the last half of the season. I don't think they're anywhere near as good as they were last year but it would be pretty spectacular if they could sneak into the finals.

I'll be rooting for the Force this weekend. But then I'll be bitter if the Brumbies lose because that'll push you guys above us... :wall:
[/b][/quote]

More chance of the Lions avoiding the wooden spoon ;)

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

More chance of the Lions avoiding the wooden spoon ;)
[/b][/quote]

I don't know about that. The Stormers have now lost Burger and Liebenberg after already losing Chavanga and Moller.

The Brumbies have a pretty good record against the Stormers in South Africa. I'm hoping they'll pick up their act after last weeks poor effort and starve the Stormers of the ball. Without Burger there I would like to think Smith and Salvi will frustrate them at the breakdown.

The bonus point would just be a nice added bonus.

this is what i'll predict.

1. crusaders
2. waratahs
3. sharks
4. stormers

well i did my math... and the stormers could go second if results go their way XD. wishful, but possible :p. tip the stormers to beat the brumbies this weekend, beat the tahs, and get 5 points from the lions and the bulls to beat the tahs as well, would make for an interesting finish

Latest posts