• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super 14 Trials

The Brumbies have actually named a fairly decent side to take on the Hurricanes on Friday...

CA Brumbies Squad v Hurricanes

Canberra Stadium, Canberra
Friday, 30 January 2009
Kick-off: 7.40pm

1.Nic Henderson
2. John Ulugia
3. Guy Shepherdson
4. Shawn Mackay
5. Mark Chisholm
6. Peter Kimlin
7. Julian Salvi
8. Stephen Hoiles ©
9. Joshua Holmes
10. Christian Lealiifano
11. Francis Fainifo
12. Tyrone Smith
13. Afusipa Taumoepeau
14. Peter Betham
15. Mark Gerrard

Reserves

16. Nathan Charles
17. Ben Alexander
18. Sitaleki Timani
19. Ben Hand
20. Patrick Phibbs
21. Matt Toomua
22. Pat McCabe
23. James Stannard
24. Clyde Rathbone
25. Henry Vanderglas
26. Salesi Ma’afu
27. Anthony Hegarty
28. Talalelei Gray
29. Sanualio Afeaki

What?!!

The Brumbies won a trial match!?!?!

Josh Holmes underlines potential with great display as Brumbies win trial

By David Beniuk

January 30, 2009

BRUMBIES half-back Josh Holmes gave an early indication he intends to challenge Luke Burgess for the Australian No.9 jersey in 2009 with a dominant display in a 28-14 Super 14 trial win over the Hurricanes at Canberra Stadium.

Holmes was in everything during his first half run and scored the only try of the first 40 in the 29th minute on a hot night in the national capital.

The No.9 was on the spot to crash over after 2008 revelation Tyrone Smith had made an incisive burst, Mark Gerrard's conversion giving the home side a 7-0 half-time lead.

The former Waratahs half-back also came close on two other occasions as the Brumbies began their new era under Andy Friend by dominating the territory and possession against an under strength Hurricanes side.

It wasn't all good news for the 22-year-old who was assisted off at half-time after taking a heavy knock following one of his trademark bursts.

Holmes has long been highly rated but is yet to realise his full potential, something he hoped would turn around when he switched to the Brumbies last year.

Burgess starred for the Waratahs last year but had a mixed debut international season, with his passing game coming under scrutiny.

Coach Friend made nine changes at half-time, including Holmes's replacement, ex-Western Force recruit James Stannard, and former Wallaby winger Clyde Rathbone, playing his first game for the Brumbies in nearly two years.

The Canes made 10 changes, including Cory Jane who scored his side's first try five minutes after the break to make it 7-7.

A try under the posts to Wallaby prop Ben Alexander put the Brumbies ahead again 14-7 but the visitors hit back three minutes later through Zac Guildford as the second favourites for this year's Super 14 ***le began to get the better of the Brumbies' Bs.

But the Brumbies third half-back to be used, Patrick Phibbs, sealed the win with a 76th minute five-pointer before Afusipa Taumoepeau scored out wide to make it 28-14.

Test stars Stirling Mortlock, Adam Ashley-Cooper, Stephen Moore and George Smith sat out the trial.

Josh Holmes was just a disappointment last year after being touted as Gregan's replacement... I seriously hope he fulfills his potential this year, because if he plays at his best he can knockout Burgess for the Wallaby job...

And we all know the Wallabies need a halfback who can actually pass the ball... and make decisions...

Urghhhh so after 1 trial the scrummy that couldn't get a consistent start in 08 is going to bump to incumbent wallabies half

Glad to see he had a good game though. Was surprised by his lack of game time last year after the media wave he rode at the Tahs in 07

I didn't say that at all...

I just hope that he could find the form he displayed in recent years when he was the IRB U19 player of the year two years ago, and the fine form he displayed in his brief appearances with the Tahs in 07... at least for the sake of the Brumbies... the fact is that Burgess was dumped by the Brumbies for Holmes...

Unfortunately he just didn't perform well in 08... and was rotated with Phibbs...

But I'm sure we can all agree that Burgess' service was RUBBISH for the Wallabies last year, and if he doesn't perform well this year we seriously need a halfback that can do the job... whether it be Burgess, Holmes, Lucas, Sheehan or whoever...

Despite the NSW media's pathetic attacks on Gregan in recent years, he was at least able to distribute the ball without getting sacked by the opposition forwards, and didn't continuously pass the ball 10m behind the flyhalf... and despite all the NSW media's criticism of his apparently 'slow' service - Stephen Larkham never complained about it...

Anyways, point is - good competition for positions can only help Australia...

Burgess service wasn't rubbish but it was inconsistent. His box kick however is rubbish.

Nah, it was consistently rubbish....

Rarely did he pass the ball where it was meant to go... and his indecisiveness at the breakdown cost Australia so many times...

Maybe Deans picked him because of his pretty face?

Come on you're being a bit too harsh, sometimes his passing was right on the money, it was his pass that led to Mitchell's break against the Barbarians and he performed really well under pressure in the Ireland test. Like you said competition can only benefit the Wallabies, but Burgess has the potential to be a class player.

Personally, I don't think Deans is the messiah and that all of his decisions are correct... highlighted by the fact that he continued to put AAC at fullback and never considered Gerrard...

Anyways, Burgess might have had a few moments of good play for the Wallabies but overall his service was just lousy... his passing was erratic... and unfortunately his primary task is to distribute the ball...

However, I do think that Burgess deserved to be where he was last year based on a good Super 14 campaign... and he definitely has potential... but, there are guys like Holmes and Lucas who have shown just as much potential and I hope they put pressure on Burgess and we have some competition for the halfback spot... the last thing we need is an untouchable halfback who isn't performing...

Yeah I agree, he needs a good kick in the pants. One thing I noticed was how in last years S14's he always provided quick ball, never loitered around the back of a ruck. Yet in the Wallabies jersey he seemed to always wait, putting the forwards under pressure and allowing the defence to reset. It will be interesting to see how he plays this year.

Latest posts