• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 Super Rugby: Reds vs Rebels (Round 14)

WoW, no Horwil is going to flip!
Must be that Higgies said he didn't feel it was intended

http://www.sanzarrugby.com/superrugby/news/ed-odonoghue-judicial-hearing-outcome/

So the red card has been stripped from the record.

Either way, you can't put your hands on another player's face! It looks bad on the big screen and you'll be slammed for it in-game, guilty or not!

Yes, it did look bad on the screen. Walsh was reluctant to give the card though, but the TMO rather insisted on it. So maybe it was just one of those 'looks worse than it is' sort of things. I think it looks intentional, but I suppose Higgies would know better than me, since he was the one getting the face massage.

WoW, no Horwil is going to flip!
Must be that Higgies said he didn't feel it was intended

I think this is the part I dread the most - Horwill puffing out his chest and saying 'I told you so!' <_<

das

Dumb is what it was. The Reds player who got the red card was his own worst enemy. What purpose does he think he was serving by giving his opponent a facial. Was he trying to intimidate, injure, get a reaction, show what a [strike]hard man[/strike] boofhead he is? Officials are very wary about hands and fingers getting close to eyes. If you do what this idiot did, you are leaving yourself at the mercy of a referee/TMO/AR who might see something dangerous in it.

As for players, such as Horwill, who are annoyed at the TMO protocols, they might be complaining that they "slow the game down", but I don't think its really that which is bothering them. More likely, they are annoyed that players can't get away with the dirty, underhand and off the ball tactics as easily as they could in the past. The Deysel stomp in the Crusaders v Sharks game would not have been punished until after the game had it not been for the new TMO protocols.

IMO so-called enforcers like Bakkies Botha, Danny Grewcock & Troy Flavell would have been red carded a lot more than they were had they played under these protocols.

What I don't quite understand is this...

If - and that's a BIG IF - Higginbotham had head-butted, and if that's O'Donoghue's excuse for the facial, then isn't that retaliation, and red card or not the penalty would have gone to the Rebels anyway? If so, then Horwill needs to keep his yap shut.

I am curious about another thing - can they reduce a red card down to yellow instead of just wiping the infringement out altogether (because no matter what, that looked like some sort of card offense to me)?

das

Latest posts