• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2019 Super Rugby] Round 2 (22 & 23 February 2019)

And do you think he has unfairly favoured the Chiefs, or showed any bias towards them in any of their matches that he has officiated?

If so, when?

If not, what is the problem?

seriously? we claim country neutral refs would be a good idea at other times but we're actually going to argue about someone who actually played for a specific team?...and not just a couple of games, 60 odd games

as has been said, it about being above suspicion,

yes, i've watched him ref the highlanders and chiefs and wondered how the hell hes able to get away with this call or that one....in the cold light of day im happy to look back and say i might have been wrong on this call...or he just missed that call or what ever but i find its too often a talking point when he refs the chiefs.

its a classic example of the ref having too much of an influence on the enjoyment of the game and given there are several other games EVERY weekend he could ref i just don't know why he doesn't ref those and not the chiefs

"Caesar's wife must be above suspicion"

It is unnecessary and it raises suspicion. As a fan, i like it just as much as going to trial where the judge is the opposing counsel's uncle or personal friend or business partner.
Even when there's no evidence of bias or potential bias, it's not allowed.

I agree.

In an ideal world, all referees in cross borders competitions will be from neutral countries, and the only time that, say a NZ team would be refereed by a NZ referee is if they are playing another NZ team. Unfortunately, this ideal world costs a lot of time and money. It would mean that every time a Australian teams was touring The Republic, NZ referees would need to travel there too. Also if there are not an equal number of referees from each country, it places a lot of additional stress on the smaller number of referees who had to travel more and control more games. We saw what happened when that was the case in Australia when they had an cute shortage of top level referees (only Stuart Dickinson was up to the standard required) so some got pushed up to a level where they simply were, at that time, not up to it (James Leckie, Andrew Lees, Matt Goddard). Look at your own case - Federico Anselmi would referee to whole season away from Argentina

argentina refs are usually biased against us. they over react the neutrality. remember as kid every time there was a problem with the reff sent by the UAR then the local reff would step in. it was a nightmare every time.

I watch the SR games through rugby pass/ sky sports. Not the first time they commented on how strict Arg TMO is against Jaguares.
yep for instance i think it wasnt knock on by tuculet last weekend! it looks like it was backwards so it would have been try by cubelli

"Caesar's wife must be above suspicion"

It is unnecessary and it raises suspicion. As a fan, i like it just as much as going to trial where the judge is the opposing counsel's uncle or personal friend or business partner.
Even when there's no evidence of bias or potential bias, it's not allowed.

Whenever a referee didn't show up to our under 20's games our halfbacks dad would referee the game, if anything he was harder on us than the other team. I feel bias towards a team you used to play for is less likely a referee is more likely to be harsher on a team they used to play for to avoid that being suggested by fans.

Whenever a referee didn't show up to our under 20's games our halfbacks dad would referee the game, if anything he was harder on us than the other team. I feel bias towards a team you used to play for is less likely a referee is more likely to be harsher on a team they used to play for to avoid that being suggested by fans.
Then let's call your halfback's dad to ref SR games. I'm sure that would work wonders.

Sponsors, fans and organizers will be delighted, i'm sure.

Then let's call your halfback's dad to ref SR games. I'm sure that would work wonders.

Again you just ignore what I say and reply with sarcasm. Missed the point entirely.

Sure. i am...
I feel bias towards a team you used to play for is less likely a referee is more likely to be harsher on a team they used to play for to avoid that being suggested by fans.
I mean, extrapolating personal accounts to the rest of human beings would pass the most rigorous scientific standards and peer reviews. I mean, it's not as if it's one of the most known formal fallacy or something.

Sure. i am...

I mean, extrapolating personal accounts to the rest of human beings would pass the most rigorous scientific standards and peer reviews. I mean, it's not as if it's one of the most known formal fallacy or something.

"I feel" means my feelings on the matter mate I didn't say it's a 100% set in stone fact.

but by all means continue being a condescending ****.

Yea you were just being a sarcastic dick to him . Why do people keep on missing the point is it a lost in tranlation scenario?
He just stated his opinion that sometimes a ref who has connections to a team will not necessarily be biased towards his own team but in some cases be biased towards the opposing team.
A statement like that does not have to pass "the most rigorous scientific standards or peer reviews" it was a comment not an academic essay.

Yea you were just being a sarcastic dick to him .
Fair enough. Apologies Woldog and other posters.

Why do people keep on missing the point is it a lost in tranlation scenario?
No. There's a difference between people missing the point and people finding the point so ridiculous they make fun of it.

I really, sincerely, wholeheartedly think his point is nonsensical. I shouldn't have made fun of him tho.[/quote][/quote]

pretty much it's the same for all uf us: we all been thought the dad over reacting ref that was harsher on his own team. in my case and most of you it was just a lighter note on the subject. doesn't mean we want this for an international profesional comp like SR
logistics may not allow it, but a neutral ref is the best for everybody.

Latest posts