• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2019 Super Rugby] Round 2 (22 & 23 February 2019)

What is wrong with us? Second time we drop the ball on the opponents ingoal.

He obviously lost the ball but the ball didn't go forward, it was just placed if you like and was then grounded by another Jaguares player. I personally thought it was a try as there wasn't a knock on. That being said though, I wasn't watching the game too closely so I might have missed something.
Diaz Bonilla's kicking off the tee leaves a lot to be desired. He's missed a few very kickable kicks which would have given the Jags some breathing space. Anyway, come on the Jags second half now

Bonus point and no try scored against us.
I'll take it.

Looks like we'll have an interesting conference this year.

I thought it was a ballsy call people predicting the Jaguares, but what do I know? A nice try from a maul too. I'm a little concerned how fresh the Pumas players will be come the RWC though.

Early days, but the Sharks look to be the team to beat in the SA conf. The Blues revival didn't last long. Bring back Umaga. :p

At least the Aussie sides seem to be able to compete against the NZ ones in a RWC year.

canes were made to look ordinary. saders didnt even have to get out of 2nd gear.
saders are ominous this season

Why isn't Ben Lam in an All Blacks shirt yet? He's the most destructive winger on the planet.
im hoping lam and aumua (hooker for canes) bolt into the ABs just before the WC. be better to unleash them as unknowns on the NH teams

Brumbies and Stormers (and nearly the Sunwolves) the big upsets
Saders and Sharks looking strong
Weekend with some bad injuries, not good in a world cup year

im hoping lam and aumua (hooker for canes) bolt into the ABs just before the WC. be better to unleash them as unknowns on the NH teams
Aumua's more or less off the radar now isn't he? Doesn't even make the Canes 23. Word on he street is he's got some serious issues with his work ethic.

Aumua's more or less off the radar now isn't he? Doesn't even make the Canes 23. Word on he street is he's got some serious issues with his work ethic.
havent been checking the rumour mill at the canes. i'll ask around and get back to you

Egon Seconds had an immense game for the Stormers. I thought the ref was very poor from the start. There were clear yellow card instances where he simply gave penalties. The Stormers used there get out of jail card tonight.

I have a massive issue with the referee officiating for the team he used to play for. And Seconds again showed a bit of bias in that game. He was dreadful, and the Lions should definitely complain about him.

What about that legal turnover at the end, where Marx was the only player on his feet at the ruck, and held the ball for like 5 seconds, without being rewarded? The lions would have gotten out of their own 22 and it would have been a completely different ending to the game than what actually happened.

Have to say the Bulls vs. Jaguares wasn't a fun game to watch. Seeing 30 guys trying to play with a wet bar of soap isn't my idea of good rugby. But nonetheless, I have to give it to the Jaguares, they punished the Bulls every chance they got when that slippery ball popped out of someone's hands. What made this game even worse to watch is that it started at midnight, and I only went to bed at 02:00

I have thought about the schedule. Thing is, they probably want it late afternoon so they can have it after the club teams finish their saturday games. Problem is that by doing that they destroy their South Afrian and European audience.

I would really like it if they could play on Sundays.

where Marx was the only player on his feet at the ruck,
See attached pic

Attachments

• StormersvsLions.jpg
    StormersvsLions.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 11
I have a massive issue with the referee officiating for the team he used to play for. And Seconds again showed a bit of bias in that game. He was dreadful, and the Lions should definitely complain about him.

What about that legal turnover at the end, where Marx was the only player on his feet at the ruck, and held the ball for like 5 seconds, without being rewarded? The lions would have gotten out of their own 22 and it would have been a completely different ending to the game than what actually happened.

Have to say the Bulls vs. Jaguares wasn't a fun game to watch. Seeing 30 guys trying to play with a wet bar of soap isn't my idea of good rugby. But nonetheless, I have to give it to the Jaguares, they punished the Bulls every chance they got when that slippery ball popped out of someone's hands. What made this game even worse to watch is that it started at midnight, and I only went to bed at 02:00

There were numerous other issues that baffled me from Seconds. Firstly he didn't want to send Alistair Vermaak to the sin bin for an offense he repeated twice, Mbonambi takes out Groom without the ball, Sergeal Peterson tackles the Lions player in the air, Mapoe's tackle on Eben. For a long time I've felt that SR needs to return to neutral refs, I'm not saying the refereeing standard would improve but then it eliminates finger pointing as in the case of Egon Seconds playing for the Stormers. Same as in the Brumbies/Chiefs game, Aussie team playing in Australia with a local ref.

There were numerous other issues that baffled me from Seconds. Firstly he didn't want to send Alistair Vermaak to the sin bin for an offense he repeated twice, Mbonambi takes out Groom without the ball, Sergeal Peterson tackles the Lions player in the air, Mapoe's tackle on Eben. For a long time I've felt that SR needs to return to neutral refs, I'm not saying the refereeing standard would improve but then it eliminates finger pointing as in the case of Egon Seconds playing for the Stormers. Same as in the Brumbies/Chiefs game, Aussie team playing in Australia with a local ref.

Yeah, the TMO even told him for us all to hear that this is the second time AV committed the same offense.

We've had to get use to it in NZ, Glen Jackson seems to be continuously officiating the Chiefs, with seven games a week i find it hard to believe he cant do any of the others

We've had to get use to it in NZ, Glen Jackson seems to be continuously officiating the Chiefs, with seven games a week i find it hard to believe he cant do any of the others

And do you think he has unfairly favoured the Chiefs, or showed any bias towards them in any of their matches that he has officiated?

If so, when?

If not, what is the problem?

Last edited:
And do you think he has unfairly favoured the Chiefs, or showed any bias towards them in any of their matches that he has officiated?

If so, when?

Glen Jackson has earned his stripes though. He's one of the best referees in the world and I have never seen bias from him towards a team, but also didn't he play for the Highlanders as well??

Seconds on the other hand only played for the WP/Boland/Stormers. the only time he set foot outside of the Western Cape, was when his team played away from home. His loyalty is very questionable for me. He's not a good referee to begin with, and makes a lot of stupid mistakes, but then he makes it worse by showing favouritism towards his old team. This is where my problem is with him specifically.

"Caesar's wife must be above suspicion"

It is unnecessary and it raises suspicion. As a fan, i like it just as much as going to trial where the judge is the opposing counsel's uncle or personal friend or business partner.
Even when there's no evidence of bias or potential bias, it's not allowed.

Help me out as I am missing something here.
First, let me get it out of the way, Seconds was terrible and the Marx penalty should have stood, period.

Just after the Etsebeth incident which should have been yellow in any event. Stormers moved the ball and the winger scored.
Focus then went back to the tip tackle incident.
Did the Stormers make an error here that the try did not stand?

I see no mention of it anywhere, I must have missed something obvious, had a few drinks in at the time as well to be honest...

Latest posts