• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super 14 Trials

W

Wally

The first trial matches of the inaugral Super 14 get under way this weekend. Discuss it all in here.

Originally posted by Wally@Jan 21 2006, 01:18 PM
The first trial matches of the inaugral Super 14 get under way this weekend. Discuss it all in here.
Go Caleb Brown for the Reds.

He's still only 18 and he's on the run on side at wing.

these are trial fixtures in the nz and oz

2006 Super 14 warm-up match schedule (kick off times local)

21 January
Highlanders v Crusaders at Queenstown Events Centre, 5.30pm
Blues v Reds at Ballymore, Brisbane, 7.30pm

26 January
Highlanders v Chiefs at Queenstown Events Centre, 6.00pm

27 January
Hurricanes v Brumbies at Memorial Park, Masterton, 5.30pm

28 January
Blues v Waratahs at Central Coast Stadium, Gosford, 7.30pm
Crusaders v Western Force, Olympic Park Stadium, Melbourne, 7.30pm

2 February
Chiefs v Hurricanes at International Stadium, Rotorua, 2.30pm
Blues v Western Force at Eden Park, Auckland, 6.00pm
Highlanders v Reds at Centennial Park, Oamaru, 6:00pm

4 February
Crusaders v Waratahs at Aussie Stadium, Sydney, 7.30pm

Im going to the Western Force v Cheetas match tonight , looks like there's gonna be 20,000+ at the game.

I just found out last night that all of the rookies and bench warmers will be playin tonight and that more than likely all star players will be rested
<

Caleb Brown runs the ball like a bloody pirate. I'm more interested in seeing how the other 18 year old winger goes on the opposite side of Australia.

I'm fairly sure Mitchell and Veratau / Tune will be our wingers this season. Brown still has those three plus that Hynes infront of him.

Just got back from Ballymore where the Reds had an entertaining and somewhat comfortable victory over Auckland. I think it was 29 - 14 in the end.

Anyone know how the other trial matches from tonight went?

all good...auckland had all there babies playing with the exception of tamoepeau and tipoki

i find it kinda strange we have an aussie coaching the auckland franchise(and a bloody good coach)...cant wait to the season actually starts

3weeks!!!! the new era of profootball in the south

Reds always win their pre-season games... always

Reds normally finish with 1 or 2 wins in S12 though
<

I just got back from the Force game were they lost 19-29

The Force were the better team scoring 3 tries to 2 and chose to throw the ball around instead of taking penalty kicks unlike the cheetas who chose to take pk from anywere.

The force had 19 rookies in there team tonight and all of there wallabies and other starters were rested

The Cheetas used a near full strength squad with 4 or 5 springboks.

Highlanders beat the Crusaders 21-19 in Queenstown. They were down 19-14 with five to go before Evans made a couple of huge breaks and set up a try. Highlanders try scorers were Roy Kinikinilau, Seilala Mapusua and Toby Morland, while the Crusaders also scored three.

Originally posted by umosay@Jan 22 2006, 01:00 AM

<
Never has that happened. Tenth (last year) was our worst placing, which is two better than the Chiefs' worst I assume.

I don't have many expectations this season but there was something about the way we played in that first half that hinted that the Reds could be on the way up this year. The 30m punt from Berrick Barnes to Chapman in the corner was pretty insane. This guy is going to be a legend in rugby.

0,10114,5099709,00.jpg

Johansson

0,10114,5099714,00.jpg

Berrick

And this one is for Chiro..

0,10114,5099710,00.jpg

Originally posted by Wally+Jan 22 2006, 02:50 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wally @ Jan 22 2006, 02:50 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-umosay
@Jan 22 2006, 01:00 AM

<
Never has that happened. Tenth (last year) was our worst placing, which is two better than the Chiefs' worst I assume.

I don't have many expectations this season but there was something about the way we played in that first half that hinted that the Reds could be on the way up this year. The 30m punt from Berrick Barnes to Chapman in the corner was pretty insane. This guy is going to be a legend in rugby.
[/b]
Yeah well the last few seasons anyway, i can remember you posting up reds pre-season scores a few times.

Chiefs have finished 4th and 5th the last 2 years so they're not absolutely pathetic.

Originally posted by nik@Jan 22 2006, 03:15 PM
hey Wally...do you know what the starting lineup of the blues was?
1. Taumoepeau
2. Dustow
3. Noble
4. Boric
5. Rawlinson
6. Haiu
7. Tamahere
8. Williams
9. Senio
10. Lavea
11. Waqaseduadua
12. Tipoki
13. Atiga
14. Nacewa
15. Ward

Originally posted by Wally+Jan 22 2006, 08:05 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wally @ Jan 22 2006, 08:05 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-nik
@Jan 22 2006, 03:15 PM
1. Taumoepeau
2. Dustow
3. Noble
4. Boric
5. Rawlinson
6. Haiu
7. Tamahere
8. Williams
9. Senio
10. Lavea
11. Waqaseduadua
12. Tipoki
13. Atiga
14. Nacewa
15. Ward [/b]
That was one **** team.

not the top blues line up by a long way. blues alwyas seem to be average in pre season so nothing to worry about. they are normlly in the top 4 or not far not which cannot be said about the reds. its really hard to say who is in good form because most teams don't put our their best line up and change from game to game. not long to go though. roll on the super 14

Originally posted by Ripper+Jan 22 2006, 07:20 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ripper @ Jan 22 2006, 07:20 PM)</div>
Originally posted by Wally@Jan 22 2006, 08:05 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-nik
@Jan 22 2006, 03:15 PM

1. Taumoepeau
2. Dustow
3. Noble
4. Boric
5. Rawlinson
6. Haiu
7. Tamahere
8. Williams
9. Senio
10. Lavea
11. Waqaseduadua
12. Tipoki
13. Atiga
14. Nacewa
15. Ward
That was one **** team. [/b]
tight 5 is crap...the backline is alrite i guess
was it a full strength reds team or were they also experimenting??

It was just an experimental side. The second half team was pretty crap, and that's when the Blues put on their points.

Reds overcome Blues 29-14

22.01.06 1.00pm

BRISBANE - Prize recruit Berrick Barnes made an instant impression as the Queensland Reds held off an inexperienced Blues outfit 29-14 in a scrappy Super 14 trial at Ballymore last night.

First five-eighths Barnes showed signs his high-profile code-switch from the Brisbane Broncos was a win for the Reds with a snappy first-half display which helped the home side to a 22-0 advantage.

It was highlighted by a pin-perfect cross-field kick which found tall No.8 Mitchell Chapman in the in-goal for a slick try in the seventh minute.

But his defence in the backline was far from solid as Ben Atiga ran through him on the way to the Blues' first try midway through the second half.

It sparked a revival by the Auckland-based visitors who could have stolen the year's opening warm-up if not for three bombed tries out wide.

Queensland closed out the mistake-riddled encounter when reserve back-rower Ole Avei crossed in the dying minutes.

Barnes, 20, is far from guaranteed a Super 14 start at first five-eighths against NSW on February 11 as he competes with Elton Flatley and Julian Huxley for the playmaking role.

Flatley, in his first match in six months, played the last 20 minutes without problem, mixing time at first five-eighths and inside centre.

Huxley seemingly made breaks at will in a short stint in the position before a head gash forced him off.

Coach Jeff Miller's experiment of playing Huxley at outside centre showed some encouraging signs early in the match when the Reds were at their slickest.

Hugh McMeniman's move to blind-side flanker also promised better things to come as the young Wallabies lock enjoyed the extra freedom of roaming wider.

Chapman's two-try display at No.8 was a highlight for the Reds.

Poised to be Mark Connors' second-row partner, Chapman crossed for his second in the 32nd minute when centre Lloyd Johansson delivered a neat off-load close to the line.

Test fullback Chris Latham saved one certain try with a desperate tackle on No.8 Nick Williams on the line and set up one for Queensland with a quick-thinking grubber through for winger Tim Atkinson.

Halfback Sam Cordingley mixed good with bad in his return to the Reds scrum base as passes consistently failed to find the mark.

Queensland's already-depleted stocks of outside backs took a further hit when winger Peter Hynes limped off with a knee injury.

- AAP

that was a third string side...our npc team would thrash this team,cmon reds shudve blown this squad to bits

doesnt matter its only the trials...

Latest posts