• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super 14 Trials

Im glad I got my tickets to the Force fist match against the Brumbies coz that match is sold out and its gonna be HUGE.

Last night i would estimate I saw 10-15,000 western force jerseys, which really impressed me cosidering they cost around $150, and the crowd was more knowledgeable than I expected.

I cant wait till the opening match......the Force is here to stay
<

Originally posted by THE CHIROPRACTOR101@Jan 22 2006, 10:07 PM
Reds overcome Blues 29-14

22.01.06 1.00pm

BRISBANE - Prize recruit Berrick Barnes made an instant impression as the Queensland Reds held off an inexperienced Blues outfit 29-14 in a scrappy Super 14 trial at Ballymore last night.

First five-eighths Barnes showed signs his high-profile code-switch from the Brisbane Broncos was a win for the Reds with a snappy first-half display which helped the home side to a 22-0 advantage.

It was highlighted by a pin-perfect cross-field kick which found tall No.8 Mitchell Chapman in the in-goal for a slick try in the seventh minute.

But his defence in the backline was far from solid as Ben Atiga ran through him on the way to the Blues' first try midway through the second half.

It sparked a revival by the Auckland-based visitors who could have stolen the year's opening warm-up if not for three bombed tries out wide.

Queensland closed out the mistake-riddled encounter when reserve back-rower Ole Avei crossed in the dying minutes.

Barnes, 20, is far from guaranteed a Super 14 start at first five-eighths against NSW on February 11 as he competes with Elton Flatley and Julian Huxley for the playmaking role.

Flatley, in his first match in six months, played the last 20 minutes without problem, mixing time at first five-eighths and inside centre.

Huxley seemingly made breaks at will in a short stint in the position before a head gash forced him off.

Coach Jeff Miller's experiment of playing Huxley at outside centre showed some encouraging signs early in the match when the Reds were at their slickest.

Hugh McMeniman's move to blind-side flanker also promised better things to come as the young Wallabies lock enjoyed the extra freedom of roaming wider.

Chapman's two-try display at No.8 was a highlight for the Reds.

Poised to be Mark Connors' second-row partner, Chapman crossed for his second in the 32nd minute when centre Lloyd Johansson delivered a neat off-load close to the line.

Test fullback Chris Latham saved one certain try with a desperate tackle on No.8 Nick Williams on the line and set up one for Queensland with a quick-thinking grubber through for winger Tim Atkinson.

Halfback Sam Cordingley mixed good with bad in his return to the Reds scrum base as passes consistently failed to find the mark.

Queensland's already-depleted stocks of outside backs took a further hit when winger Peter Hynes limped off with a knee injury.

- AAP

that was a third string side...our npc team would thrash this team,cmon reds shudve blown this squad to bits

doesnt matter its only the trials...
If that was third string where were all the second stringers? Clearly it wasn't your best side, but it wasn't your third best either. Ours was mixed but we only had our first string players on in the first half when we were carving. The second half saw entirely second stringers, bar Flatley. I like string.

Originally posted by Wally@Jan 22 2006, 11:14 PM
Clearly it wasn't your best side, but it wasn't your third best either. Ours was mixed but we only had our first string players on in the first half when we were carving. The second half saw entirely second stringers, bar Flatley. I like string.
Well if you wish to be technical it was a mixture of second and third stringers with the majority being made up of players in the "train on" squad (ie. outside the 28 strong squad).

Hence the majority were third stringers............

Here is the 15 that took the field against the Reds, in bold is the probable first stringer for that position.

1. Saimonie Taumoepeau (Second stringer) Woodcock
2. Roger Dustow (second/third stringer) Mealamu
3. Mike Noble (third stringer) Afoa
4. Anthony Boric (third stringer) Flavell
5. Greg Rawlinson (first/second stringer) Ali Williams
6. Kurtis Haiu (second/third stringer) Angus McDonald
7. Regan Tamahere (third stringer) Daniel Braid
8. Nick Williams (first/second stringer) Nick Williams
9. John Senio (third stringer) Devine
10. Daniel Bowden (third stringer) Lavea
11. Viliame Waqaseduadua (third stringer) Rocketman
12. Rua Tipoki © (second stringer) McAllister
13. Jamie Helleur (third stringer) Atiga/Tuitavake
14. James Somerset (third stringer) Howlett
15. George Pisi (third stringer) Ward

LMFAO - This isnt AFL you retard.

and I hadn't even heard of 5 of those players in the Blues starting line up.

well ripper not unexecpted as 10 of them was there first taste of super 14 rugby ever. that defintely was not the best or maybe even second best lineup possible

from nucifora
There were 10 blokes playing for the Blues for the first time.

Originally posted by Ripper@Jan 23 2006, 12:29 PM
LMFAO - This isnt AFL you retard.

and I hadn't even heard of 5 of those players in the Blues starting line up.
yeh me neither..and i play for the blues

I was at the Reds vs Blue match too, and I'ts obvious that the reds are wanting to play a different style this season- definitely more willing to kick it about. Also, I saw Ricky Lee there- man she has a fat ass.

random thoughts...

I think Barnes needs more game time. I hope Miller introduces a rotation policy.

Going on current form, I predict Latham to be the S14 player of the year. Man what a tackle!

Where is Steve Kefu and "can't pass for sh*t* Valentine? Is Tune injury free at the moment?

I saw Nick Stiles in Tokyo recently where he was training. I reckon he should join up with Eddie Jones next season.

Oh and Wally, how bad was the announcer on saturday night. I think I'll write to the QRU.

I cant wait for the Canes to play the Brumbies on Friday.

Originally posted by Wally@Jan 21 2006, 07:45 PM
Caleb Brown runs the ball like a bloody pirate. I'm more interested in seeing how the other 18 year old winger goes on the opposite side of Australia.

I'm fairly sure Mitchell and Veratau / Tune will be our wingers this season. Brown still has those three plus that Hynes infront of him.
Um, for my edification, how does a pirate run the ball? Obviously he says "aaarrrgh" but what else does it entail?

I don't know about the Reds having any depth at wing. Tune might not be fit for the start of the season. Hynes won't. It might be Caleb Brown versus Lote or Wendell. Don't think it'll matter too much in attack as the wings won't see too much ball. Will matter a lot in defence though.

Originally posted by rugged+Jan 24 2006, 07:25 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rugged @ Jan 24 2006, 07:25 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Wally
@Jan 21 2006, 07:45 PM
Caleb Brown runs the ball like a bloody pirate. I'm more interested in seeing how the other 18 year old winger goes on the opposite side of Australia.
Um, for my edification, how does a pirate run the ball? Obviously he says "aaarrrgh" but what else does it entail? [/b]
Maybe the pirate he is referring to has a wooden leg, which I'd say might give him some difficulty in running.

Originally posted by TheDell@Jan 24 2006, 01:26 PM
Oh and Wally, how bad was the announcer on saturday night. I think I'll write to the QRU.
He'll get the sack for sure. That bloke sounded like he was still fighting off puberty.. and I think he made Waqaseduadua cry.

Originally posted by rugged+Jan 24 2006, 06:25 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rugged @ Jan 24 2006, 06:25 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Wally

I'm fairly sure Mitchell and Veratau / Tune will be our wingers this season. Brown still has those three plus that Hynes infront of him.
Um, for my edification, how does a pirate run the ball? Obviously he says "aaarrrgh" but what else does it entail?

I don't know about the Reds having any depth at wing. Tune might not be fit for the start of the season. Hynes won't. It might be Caleb Brown versus Lote or Wendell. Don't think it'll matter too much in attack as the wings won't see too much ball. Will matter a lot in defence though. [/b]
Maybe I'm wrong but he just doesn't seem to have any pace. Everytime he got the ball he seemed to just come back inside and hit it up.

Originally posted by JJ-+Jan 24 2006, 07:24 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (-JJ- @ Jan 24 2006, 07:24 PM)</div>
Originally posted by rugged@Jan 24 2006, 07:25 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Wally

Maybe the pirate he is referring to has a wooden leg, which I'd say might give him some difficulty in running. [/b]
Not to mention the patch over his left eye causing obvious problems. His sword would get in the way as well... Pirates suck.

Originally posted by Wally+Jan 24 2006, 10:27 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wally @ Jan 24 2006, 10:27 PM)</div>
Originally posted by rugged@Jan 24 2006, 06:25 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Wally

I don't know about the Reds having any depth at wing. Tune might not be fit for the start of the season. Hynes won't. It might be Caleb Brown versus Lote or Wendell. Don't think it'll matter too much in attack as the wings won't see too much ball. Will matter a lot in defence though.
Maybe I'm wrong but he just doesn't seem to have any pace. Everytime he got the ball he seemed to just come back inside and hit it up. [/b]
Sounds like he's been watching Wendell too much.

I didn't go to the game but was interested to see how he went. Sounds like he has a ways to go.

Did you read in the paper this morning that they are bringing Ben Lucas into the squad (fresh out of school) for the trials to cover five eighth while the five eighths cover the outside backs.

Yeah I heard that. I doubt he'll get any game time this season but it'll be good experience for him. I think he'll defiantely be up there in a couple of years.

The Chiefs scored five tries to three to beat the Highlanders 38-21 in a pre-season Rebel Sport Super 14 trial in Queenstown last night.

The Chiefs had been expected to be rusty in their first pre-season hitout against a Highlanders side who had beaten the Crusaders at the same venue five days ago.

But it was the Highlanders who lacked continuity and struggled to put passes together.

The Chiefs trailed with 15 minutes remaining when Vilimoni Delasau scored a classic winger's try down the right-hand touchline for the Highlanders.

But No 8 Steven Bates scored a try for the visitors, then Liam Messam conjured a wonderful try from a turnover on his own 22m line.

The former sevens star galloped 70m before finding support, eventually leading to reserve halfback Brendan Leonard scoring.

Murray Williams, essentially the Chief's fourth-string first five-eighth, then completed the rout with his side's fifth try in the final minute.

It was all a bit deflating for the Highlanders, who probably created enough opportunities but were punished for their inaccuracies.

Their passing was wayward and their combinations, particularly in a backline missing centre Neil Brew, virtually non-existent.

Despite this, openside flanker Tim Boys made a big impression for the Highlanders.

Chiefs Ian Foster was naturally pleased with the result.

"We took the opportunities that came our way tonight".

"But we didn't exactly do a lot in terms of constructing play, and that's something that we need to work on."

Foster was delighted with the contributions of two of his new players, Counties-Manukau winger Lelia Masaga and new Bay of Plenty halfback Jamie Nutbrown.

"Lelia's just a kid from the second division and he was feeling pretty nervous, but he looked really sharp.

"And I'm really happy with Jamie. He's growing in confidence all the time."

http://allblacks.com/index.cfm?layout=disp...ewsArticle=3151

<

I can't wait for the Force to run out in front of the Melbourne crowd!!!! I hope they kiss the emblem and hand out free Western Force tee shirts.

<

Sounds good for the Chiefs. Will be interesting to see how they go in the early part of the season, with the first 2 in South Africa and the third in Perth..

Latest posts