• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super 14 Trials

I've never been much of a big Dell fan, but I've been laughing ever since he ditched the Qld and have decided to support him
<
<

Well the Southern Spares got another smashing. 73 - 5 loss against the Stormers.

The way things are going, SA Rugby would be very stupid to include them in the Super 14 next year. In fact I doubt the party running the Super 14 would allow them to compete.

Western Force coach John Mitchell must find a way to lift his troops before next week's Super 14 debut after the new-boys were thrashed 43-5 by the Blues in Auckland on Thursday.

The inclusion of seven All Blacks in the Blues side proved decisive in the pre-season clash as both teams completed preparations for the revamped competition.

Blues coach David Nucifora wasn't reading too much into Thursday's one-sided contest.

"Unless you know how each team is preparing for the season, it's very difficult to make assumptions," he said.

"I'm sure they weren't satisfied with their effort and they have a challenge next week.

"But it's pretty hard to read too much into anyone's performance at the moment."

The Force will kick-start Super 14 rugby with a home match against the Brumbies next Friday, but the squad will have to pick itself up off the canvas after today's 38-point hammering capped a win-less pre-season.

The fledgling franchise had shown some encouragement in practice match losses to the Cheetahs and Crusaders over the past fortnight, in Perth and Melbourne respectively.

But Thursday's disappointing result at Eden Park highlighted the task confronting the first-year club and its New Zealand-born head coach Mitchell.

"I certainly know a lot more about the players individually and certain aspects of the team collectively, having gone through the trial process," Mitchell said.

"Against any New Zealand side, if you cough up turnover ball, they shift it to the other end."

Mitchell included outside centre Junior Pelesasa in the starting XV, but the former Queensland Red lasted only 27 minutes, by which time Auckland led 24-0.

Mitchell replaced Pelesasa with Scott Daruda and also removed starting halfback Vitori Buatava, throwing Wallaby Matt Henjak into the fray.

They had little impact, however, as the Blues entered the break with a commanding 29-0 advantage.

The WA side got on the board with a try to Luke Doherty straight after the re-start, but it was only a temporary stay as Auckland ran out winners seven tries to one.

The Force struggled defensively and failed to capitalise on a glut of first-half possession.

A fine solo run from Isa Nacewa opened the scoring for the Blues in the third minute, Brent Ward converting the try for an early 7-0 lead.

But the next 15 minutes proved costly for the Force, who couldn't convert six straight penalties into any points.

Auckland staved off the barrage of Force possession before breaking the shackles, racing in three tries in the next 10 minutes.

It was more of the same in the second half as a side boasting

All Black regulars Keven Mealamu, Joe Rokocoko and Doug Howlett proved too powerful for the Force.

The tackle bags are set for a serious work-out at Force training this week, judging by Mitchell's post-match assessment.

"I guess the area that disappointed me the most was individual tackle accuracy," Mitchell said.

"It was probably our worst aspect of play."

Blues 43: Tries: Isa Nacewa, John Senio, Brent Ward, Joe Rokocoko, Justin Collins, Villie Waqaseduadua, Rua Tipoki, Cons: Ward 4
Force 5: Tries: Luke Doherty

saw on the news that Isa Nacewa played at 1st-5 and he carved up force defence...both lavea and mccalister had ****ling injuries...

shows the depth of the blues squad...and nacewa can now play almost all positions in the backline...

Latest posts