• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super 15: Highlanders vs Crusaders. Forsyth Barr Stadium (3/3/2012, 06:35 GMT)

Darwin

AKA Dingo_Darwin
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Highlanders
Super Rugby.png

Forsyth Barr Stadium, Dunedin (3/3/2012, 06:35 GMT)
Highlanders.png
Versus Super.png
Crusaders.png

Referee: Jaco Peyper
AR1: Vinny Munro
AR2: Kane McBride
TMO: Keith Brown

Last edited:
Chance of Noakes playing from what I hear. I won't be able to catch this one, unfortunately.
I was pretty surprised and pleased with the Highlanders' midfield. Burleigh wasn't bad and Ellison made some good ground. Big test with Fruean, though. He had as good match last week, so chances are a shocker for this one.

Chance of Noakes playing from what I hear. I won't be able to catch this one, unfortunately.
I was pretty surprised and pleased with the Highlanders' midfield. Burleigh wasn't bad and Ellison made some good ground. Big test with Fruean, though. He had as good match last week, so chances are a shocker for this one.

Unfortunately (for the Highlanders) I expect Fruean to have another big game this week. He was very consistent at the start of last season, it was only as the season progressed and he got noticeably fatigued that he got wildly inconsistent. I remember Fruean destroyed us near the start of last season too (at Carisbrook).

Yeah, it sounds like Noakes is 50/50 - hopefully he will be fit, as his combination with Burleigh (who he played with at Bay of Plenty) was key last weekend. It sounds like Colin Slade isn't too far away from returning, but it doesn't look like he will be risked this week, meaning Sopoaga will start at 10 if Noakes is ruled out. Not expecting to see many changes to the Highlanders lineup. They may consider starting Haskell at 7, but I feel they may be better to start Hardie again (a genuine openside), as they need someone to help combat Matt Todd. The only change I would make in the backs is Aaron Smith for Cowan, but I expect they will stick with Cowan's experience against the Crusaders.

First Highlanders game in the new Forsyth Barr Stadium against our traditional rivals. I expect there will be a huge crowd. Unfourtunately I won't be one of them, as I have a wedding to go to (seriously, who schedules a wedding on the first home game of the season?!?!?!?!?!).

Big test with Fruean, though. He had as good match last week, so chances are a shocker for this one.

Considering how well they did against Kahui and SBW I think they will do alright. Fruean aint known for his defnse so i'm hoping to catch him off guard when Ellison attacks

Is ben smith our first five cover if noakes doesn't isn't fit?

Considering how well they did against Kahui and SBW I think they will do alright. Fruean aint known for his defnse so i'm hoping to catch him off guard when Ellison attacks

Glenn Dickson has been playing a lot with the team in the pre-season, so it is possibly they would bring him onto the bench if Noakes was ruled out (and he provides good cover for 12 too). If not they could use Phil Burliegh to cover 10 - he has played there a few times for BOP, while Tamati Ellison has also played first-five before (though quite a few years ago).

Can Ben Smith play 10? Bloody hell, I'd love to see that! Line break, line break, linebreak.
Jamie Joseph sounds like he will play Sopoaga at 10 if Noakes is out.

Highlanders did well against SBW and Kahui, but the ball really didn't go out to them too often. The stats I have indicate Kahui only had one run. That being said, it could be that the Highlanders tied it up at 12 often and outplayed them there. Either way, I thought Burleigh played well (as did Ellison) and have a good impression of his, since I had never heard of him before.

Can Ben Smith play 10? Bloody hell, I'd love to see that! Line break, line break, linebreak.
Jamie Joseph sounds like he will play Sopoaga at 10 if Noakes is out.

Ben Smith can do anything! He is pretty much capable of playing in any position in the backline outside 9 - though he was a halfback at High School.... There is quite a bit of debate as to exactly what his best position is - he's a brilliant fullback, but think he has the potential to be just as good in the mid-field, and if he was given time he could develop into a quality 10 too. He just seems to have so much time whenever he gets the ball, which is always the sign of a quality player.

Sopoaga will start at 10 if Noakes is out - I think Jabby was wondering who would be covering 10 should Sopoaga need to be replaced during the game.

Highlanders did well against SBW and Kahui, but the ball really didn't go out to them too often. The stats I have indicate Kahui only had one run. That being said, it could be that the Highlanders tied it up at 12 often and outplayed them there. Either way, I thought Burleigh played well (as did Ellison) and have a good impression of his, since I had never heard of him before.

That is my concern - the Crusaders backline is going to be getting far more quality ball than the Chiefs backline did. One big advantage the Highlanders had over the Chiefs was that up until a couple of weeks ago Phil Burleigh was in the Chiefs wider training squad (and was training with the full Chiefs squad every day), so knew most of the Chiefs backline moves inside-out! Though he did well vs the Chiefs I'm not overly convinced about Burleighs defense - it has never really been a strength for him. Few players are able to stop Fruean 1-on-1 in any case, so the Highlanders will want to shut down any space in the backline so he doesn't get any room to get up to full pace..

Well, if it helps, I used Ben Smith at 13 in Rugby Challenge and he was very good. That is the problem with very talented players, like O'Connor and Ashley-Cooper, where are they best off? I have a mad impression that Leigh Halfpenny would be a good backup 10, but he is probably best left at 15.

Hosea Gear is a big lad and seems to be a decent defender. Bring him in and have him cover Fruean. Just need to shift Ellison or Smith to cover the wing, so as not to give Dagg or Maitland any space.
Shame I am going to miss this, I was ready to take a look at Crotty and see what he is like, after hearing about him on here (You seemed reasonably impressed with him, Darwin).

Bleyendaal is a good young player, but I think the Highlanders will send Haskell and Thomson after him to see how he does under pressure. The Blues would have been better off with Kaino searing in on him every time he got the ball. Send him further and further back, young 10's don't like a big, nasty wing-forward bearing down on them.

Well, if it helps, I used Ben Smith at 13 in Rugby Challenge and he was very good. That is the problem with very talented players, like O'Connor and Ashley-Cooper, where are they best off? I have a mad impression that Leigh Halfpenny would be a good backup 10, but he is probably best left at 15.

I'm not surprised, Smith is class - hopefully he is involved in the AB's this year (he should have been in the RWC squad last year too in my opinion). Interestingly Smith plays almost exclusively at 13 at club level. I like Halfpenny - he probably would make a handy 10 as well, there is also a lot of talk around NZ about Israel Dagg's potential at 10 too...

Hosea Gear is a big lad and seems to be a decent defender. Bring him in and have him cover Fruean. Just need to shift Ellison or Smith to cover the wing, so as not to give Dagg or Maitland any space.
Shame I am going to miss this, I was ready to take a look at Crotty and see what he is like, after hearing about him on here (You seemed reasonably impressed with him, Darwin).

Bleyendaal is a good young player, but I think the Highlanders will send Haskell and Thomson after him to see how he does under pressure. The Blues would have been better off with Kaino searing in on him every time he got the ball. Send him further and further back, young 10's don't like a big, nasty wing-forward bearing down on them.

Gear is a good defender - as long as players run straight at him. He gets caught out of position quite a bit at times (he often drifts in field), and can struggle to contain more elusive wings. If he was given the responsibility to contain Fruean I think he would do a good job though, as Fruean is hardly the most deceptive of runners - everyone knows he will run straight and hard, he is just very difficult to stop!

I agree, putting Bleyendaal under pressure will be the key for the Highlanders. Bleyendaal looked good last week, but was pretty quiet during the ITM Cup when he was put under a bit of pressure.

I don't think it is physically possible for Fruean to sidestep. If he does, we are all done.
Not seen enough of Dagg but he is a talented player and could be worth a shot at 10. Who would have been next in line after Duck? Tony Brown? Off topic, but I'd rather see Halfpenny at 10 than Tovey, Biggar, Morgan, Jones, et al.

The Welsh midfield uses large players like SBW and Fruean to draw in one or two defenders and use dummy runners to pull in the rest to give the 13 space. Fruean doesn't really have the acceleration or pace to do this, but it would be utilised with an SBW or Nonu 12/Smith 13 midfield. It can be difficult to stop, only really flooding the midfield with defenders will do it for the most part, leaving the blindside exposed. In defence they work primarily as a blitz, so you need accurate tacklers in both positions, and someone that can drift across and make a hit (or is wide enough to cover it). Jonathan Davies' for example, has done well at leaving the line at speed an hitting the ball-carrier dead on (seen against Scotland). This brings the attackers back and leaves your defencive line relatively in tact. I think NZ could utilise some form of this if they chose to, as they have the players physically capable of doing this.

If the Highlanders bring in Gear to attack from 13, they can try it as well. They have some pacy wing forward who can be used as dummy runners, and good outside backs who can quickly set off. It depends on who they see as their best 12 and 13 options.

I don't think it is physically possible for Fruean to sidestep. If he does, we are all done.
Not seen enough of Dagg but he is a talented player and could be worth a shot at 10. Who would have been next in line after Duck? Tony Brown? Off topic, but I'd rather see Halfpenny at 10 than Tovey, Biggar, Morgan, Jones, et al.

Fruean can pull off the odd side-step - doesn't really need to though! He is actually deceptively quick, which I think catches a lot of players out.

Next in line after Donald would have been.... um.......?
They probably would have stuck within the squad, and used Weepu and possibly Dagg. Outside of that there weren't many first-five options left in NZ - Beauden Barrett may well have been next in line...

The Welsh midfield uses large players like SBW and Fruean to draw in one or two defenders and use dummy runners to pull in the rest to give the 13 space. Fruean doesn't really have the acceleration or pace to do this, but it would be utilised with an SBW or Nonu 12/Smith 13 midfield. It can be difficult to stop, only really flooding the midfield with defenders will do it for the most part, leaving the blindside exposed. In defence they work primarily as a blitz, so you need accurate tacklers in both positions, and someone that can drift across and make a hit (or is wide enough to cover it). Jonathan Davies' for example, has done well at leaving the line at speed an hitting the ball-carrier dead on (seen against Scotland). This brings the attackers back and leaves your defencive line relatively in tact. I think NZ could utilise some form of this if they chose to, as they have the players physically capable of doing this.

If the Highlanders bring in Gear to attack from 13, they can try it as well. They have some pacy wing forward who can be used as dummy runners, and good outside backs who can quickly set off. It depends on who they see as their best 12 and 13 options.

Most of the Highlanders best 12/13 options are injured (e.g. Treeby/Piutau/Lynn) - we don't really have much of a choice as to who we play in the midfield at the moment. Our lack of a physical player in the midfield could be a bit of a downfall, so I do like the idea of running Gear in the midfield at times to setup go-forward ball (or even as a decoy) as he is the only one of our backs over 100kg. When Treeby comes back from injury he will probably start at 12 (with Ellison outside him) - despite the fact he isn't the biggest player, he will bring some of the required physicality to the Highlanders backline.

I do like the way that the Welsh use there big midfield (and outside) backs at times. The AB's game plan last season was quite interesting - rather than try to create gaps in the midfield using decoys etc, they instead opted to use the width of the field and go from side-to-side to try to outflank the defenders. It worked well in some games, but I do feel a more direct approach would have been effective at times (though given we have a nice gold trophy in out cabinet I probably shouldn't complain!).

Yeah, I know Fruean has some pace, but off the mark not as much as other midfield backs. He would be a good 12 in Gatland's books.

Wales tried a bit of a side-to-side attack last year (not really intentional) and it got us nowhere. I wish we were able to work the wings a bit more, but we need to develop North (who I think will end up a 13) and Cuthbert/Robinson further.

Treeby isn't a tall player, but pretty bulky if I recalling the right person. I didn't think Lynn was a bad player either. Either way, Burleigh and Ellison did a good job against the Chiefs, and that is all one can ask.

Yeah, I know Fruean has some pace, but off the mark not as much as other midfield backs. He would be a good 12 in Gatland's books.

Wales tried a bit of a side-to-side attack last year (not really intentional) and it got us nowhere. I wish we were able to work the wings a bit more, but we need to develop North (who I think will end up a 13) and Cuthbert/Robinson further.

Treeby isn't a tall player, but pretty bulky if I recalling the right person. I didn't think Lynn was a bad player either. Either way, Burleigh and Ellison did a good job against the Chiefs, and that is all one can ask.

Yeah, you are right - Fruean does need a bit of space to get up to speed. The best (only?) way to shut him down is to get up in defense quickly so he doesn't get a chance to get going.

Yep that would be Treeby - short (about 5'9) but reasonably stocky. Lynn is a solid Super rugby player too - he plays quite similar to Conrad Smith, but is not in Smith's class. I was very happy with the Burleigh/Ellison combo versus the Chiefs, I'm just a bit worried how they will go defensively against a backline that gets quality ball... I suppose time will tell!

Last edited:
From that last performance I'd say Ellison is pretty critical to the highlanders season now. I can see Treeby stepping back in but I cant see Ellison making way for anyone, he was impressive and he's a very experienced player now. He and gear add the attacking edge that the highlanders have been missing a bit of in the backs.

Though they will be better off resting him at some stage, doubt he can keep starting after just getting off the plane from Japan - though players that come back from Japan always seem to be in good condition. Seems like they train hard but the games are not as hard on the body so their fitness is good and they aren't battered or injured.

leave gear and smith where they are, wing and full back are their best possitions, i see no point weakening one position just to slightly improve another....Rutledge at 12! you think smith can do anything? how high did he jump to make that charge and then the regather and offload, he's got vision, ball handling skills and is quick (over short distances).....hows Bleyendaal going to handle the human canonball charging at him every few minutes?

thats what they call a game changer

vBookie: Highlanders vs Crusaders

vBookie added

EDIT - Crusaders named:

Tom Marshall, Sean Maitland, Robbie Fruean, Ryan Crotty, Israel Dagg, Tyler Bleyendaal, Andy Ellis, Kieran Read (capt), Matt Todd, George Whitelock, Samuel Whitelock, Tom Donnelly, Ben Franks, Quentin MacDonald, Wyatt Crockett.
Reserves: Corey Flynn, Owen Franks, Luke Romano, Luke Whitelock, Willie Heinz, Zac Guildford, Adam Whitelock.

Only a single change to the 22 this week, with Zac Guildford returning to replace Pat Osbourne on the bench. Slightly surprised to see MacDonald and Ben Franks still both starting ahead of Flynn and Owen Franks - it is good news from a Highlanders perspective though (until they are unleashed with 20-30 mins to go...).

Last edited:
crotty is out and replaced by one of the whitelocks

crotty is out and replaced by one of the whitelocks

Geez I wish we had the Crusaders depth! Adam Whitelock is a quality player, as is Tom Taylor who they have brought onto the bench.

The Highlanders have delayed naming their team until Friday morning so they can assess their injuries - it doesn't sound like Noakes will be fit though.

Latest posts