• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super 15 Play Off SF: Stormers - Crusaders @ Newlands, CTN (02-07-2011, 16:05 GMT)

I was expecting close scores in both semi-finals, but, in the end, both finalists won easily ... great signs for next weeks match by the Crusaders as they seem to be playing finals rugby ... defense was good, they played for territory and field position well, the scrum was great, line outs were okay, and they maintained possession well.

... If they can play like that again next week, they are a definite chance against an in form Reds team ... hopefully Andy Ellis is okay, Kahn had a good match as his replacement, but I fell much better if they are both in the match day 22

The reds really rely on QC where the Crusaders have DC but they do have other and more players who can upset the opposition.
Should be a good final

Watch out you Reds......the Crusaders are comin' at ya!!!

The reds really rely on QC
Yeah, cause Genia, Ioane et al. are all dire....

Didn't see the match but was reading updates on my phones, sounds like Crusaders did them without really having to try for large portions of the match

Can't wait for the final now, both teams on great form it seems

For me best two teams this year are in the final, should be a good attacking game.

Urgh, congratulations to the Crusaders. I was hoping that the home advantage and travel factor might work out for us but the advantage that the ref gives the home side didn't pan out or rather we weren't allowed to get momentum to get that benefit. Crusaders came out the hungrier of the two teams and kept up the intensity in defense and sharpness in attack for the full 80. The Stormers were playing some very naive rugby and its the same thing that has happened a few times now and we don't seem to know how to get out of it; we played all te rugby in our halve which meant that conceding a penalty meant conceding 3 points and turn-over ball means conceding 5/7 points whereas getting a penalty or turn-over only means more hard work to be done and great work by Fotoalii to track down Fourie. Really, Grant is a good enough distributor and defender at 10 but he has NO boot and good teams have pinned the Stormers down. Also, the scrum. Stormers haven't looked dangerous the entire season and coming back from behind against a team like the Crusaders who know so well how to keep the scoreboard ticking over and keep the pressure up... never going to happen.

Looks like the two best teams have gone through to the final. Go, Saders, LOL, what's 8 if you already have 7 ***les and we'll never hear the end of it if the Reds win...

Wow, watched the game on tele. The collision zone was epic. Both teams were driving each other back in defense however the difference was the Crusaders were able to absorb that defensive pressure and made inroads when they could whilst the Stormers just cracked under the defensive pressure and handed the ball back to Crusaders.

I agree with stormer2010, the Stormers were playing too much rugby on their half of the field. Whilst when ever Crusaders were inside their 22m they would kick it not necessarily out but down the field to allow the Stormers to attack from the back. They lacked attacking potency. Francois Louw was the man for the Stormers, he made so many turnovers. However they came mostly in the 2nd half when a lot of the damage was already done.

Zac Guilfords try saving tackle on Jaque Fourie was probably the turning point in the game. Even if they did score the try, there was still some work to be done, but you never what could have happen, so thats why I think it was a turning point. Another thing to note is that when points were on offer when the score line was 16-3 in the first half, they went for touch. I think that was a wrong call, they should have gone for the points.
Somewhat a dissapointing end to the Stormers season - I don't think they were completely outplayed, Crusaders created a lot more opportunities to score however they were snuffed by the Stormers defense. Stormers were out passioned.

As for the Crusaders, they face a tough challenge in Brisbane against the dazzling Reds. It is a tough prospect containing the Quade Cooper let alone the Reds. He is a freak, however I don't think Crusaders will give the free reign that the Blues gave him. It will be interesting to see what kind of tactics the Crusaders will use. I wonder if they will do what they did to the Stormers, by kicking the ball downfield and letting them run. Personally I think they should instead of running the ball from their end of the field. Kicking the ball to the Reds and asking them to run back will require a solid defensive line and I think the Crusaders possess that.

Did Schalk Brits get up to much?
The updates I was reading said he almost got into a fight pretty much as soon as he came onto the pitch, but that was it

The updates I was reading said he almost got into a fight pretty much as soon as he came onto the pitch, but that was it
Yea he almost did, he started saying some stuff to McCaw in a ruck after the whistle...there was abit of pushing but thats all. He did not have too much influence in the game, noticed a couple of energetic runs but they were quickly snubbed by the Crusaders.

Who has ever heard of (0.70) (1.05) odds? Am I reading that right?
Add 1 to each, it's actually 1.70 and 2.05. TRF people don't do the translating from fraction odds to decimal odds right.
The good part is that for the gains they consider the decimal, even if they are wrong. For instance, if they take 1.80 1.80 from Bwin, hey translate them as 9/5, so if you bet 100 and you win, you earn 180, as if the odds were 2.80. (Complicated, I know).
I spent a few weeks posting this in every vBookie event but gave up when they refused to chenge it.

Add 1 to each, it's actually 1.70 and 2.05. TRF people don't do the translating from fraction odds to decimal odds right.
The good part is that for the gains they consider the decimal, even if they are wrong. For instance, if they take 1.80 1.80 from Bwin, hey translate them as 9/5, so if you bet 100 and you win, you earn 180, as if the odds were 2.80. (Complicated, I know).
I spent a few weeks posting this in every vBookie event but gave up when they refused to chenge it.
It's the software, not us.

Wow, watched the game on tele. The collision zone was epic. Both teams were driving each other back in defense however the difference was the Crusaders were able to absorb that defensive pressure and made inroads when they could whilst the Stormers just cracked under the defensive pressure and handed the ball back to Crusaders.

I agree with stormer2010, the Stormers were playing too much rugby on their half of the field. Whilst when ever Crusaders were inside their 22m they would kick it not necessarily out but down the field to allow the Stormers to attack from the back. They lacked attacking potency. Francois Louw was the man for the Stormers, he made so many turnovers. However they came mostly in the 2nd half when a lot of the damage was already done.

Zac Guilfords try saving tackle on Jaque Fourie was probably the turning point in the game. Even if they did score the try, there was still some work to be done, but you never what could have happen, so thats why I think it was a turning point. Another thing to note is that when points were on offer when the score line was 16-3 in the first half, they went for touch. I think that was a wrong call, they should have gone for the points.
Somewhat a dissapointing end to the Stormers season - I don't think they were completely outplayed, Crusaders created a lot more opportunities to score however they were snuffed by the Stormers defense. Stormers were out passioned.

As for the Crusaders, they face a tough challenge in Brisbane against the dazzling Reds. It is a tough prospect containing the Quade Cooper let alone the Reds. He is a freak, however I don't think Crusaders will give the free reign that the Blues gave him. It will be interesting to see what kind of tactics the Crusaders will use. I wonder if they will do what they did to the Stormers, by kicking the ball downfield and letting them run. Personally I think they should instead of running the ball from their end of the field. Kicking the ball to the Reds and asking them to run back will require a solid defensive line and I think the Crusaders possess that.

Great summary of the game there. I too was very surprised that the Stormers didn't take the shot at goal when they were down 16-3. It was a bit symptomatic of the way the Stormers played once they got behind: rather than play the percentages and try to grind their way back into the game they tried to go for a 'quick-fix' option, which was always going to be difficult against the Crusaders defense.

I thought Brits made quite a big impact when he came on. He was probably the most dangerous Stormers forward in the second half, breaking the line couple of times. He gave a offload to Louw that would have lead to a try to Fourie if Guildford hadn't made an outstanding try saving tackle. I think he looked as good as a loosie as he does as a hooker.

Overall a very good win for the Crusaders, set up by their strong defense. Not only were they stopping the Stormers from breaching the defensive line, but at times were driving them back as well. Once the Crusaders got in front (through what was admittedly a lucky intercept) they just keep the pressure on, and it never looked like the Stormers would come back.

The front row was again a key for the Crusaders. Not only were they all over the pitch making big hits and turning over the ball, but they also dominated the Stormers scrum. They forced a couple of scrum turnovers, and even when the Stormers did get the ball back from the scrum they were under pressure; if anyone thinks the scrum is not longer important in the modern game they really need to watch this match! I thought Corey Flynn probably had his best game of the year; he is really pushing hard for inclusion in the AB's squad this year. Sam Whitelock looked like he is back to his best at the right time of the season. He was great in the lineout, even stealing a couple of Stormers throws, and he everywhere around the field in both attack and defence. The Crusaders loose-trio did their job as a combination, but none really stood out as individuals. Keiran Read did do a good job collecting nearly all the kick-offs though.

Khan Fotuali'i had a good game after replacing Ellis early, he distributed well, and his defence was outstanding at times. My only slight criticism of him was that he box-kicked a couple of times of turnover ball when it looked like the Stormers would have been stretched if the ball had been spun wide. Carter was quiet again. He made his tackles, and kicked well for goal, but we haven't seen much of his running game this season... hopefully he is saving it for the RWC! SBW was well-contained (apart from the brilliant offload for Fruean's try), but I thought Fruean had his best game since early in the season, bouncing off numerous tackles. Maitland took his try well, but was quiet otherwise. I think he was very lucky with his try too; he ran out of the line very early and basically just stood in the Stormers line while Koster passed him the ball. If Koster had thrown a short pass, or thrown it over Maitland's head the Crusaders were in big trouble with Maitland so far out of the defensive line. Guildford again had a strong game. He was looking for work all game, and though he didn't make any clean breaks, he made several half-breaks. He cover defence tackle of Fourie was outstanding, especially considering he came from the other side of the field to pull it off.

I thought Louw was the pick of the Stormers forwards. He was solid in defense all night, and pulled of 2-3 clean pilfers in the second half. I would definately find a spot for him in the Boks RWC squad. Bekker and Elstadt both had pretty good games too, both having big work-rates around the field. Koster had a mixed game. He is certainly very dangerous with the ball in hand, and has a big work-rate, but he made few mistakes; I think he really needs to focus on being a loose-forward, as he has all the tools to be a very good 8. I thought Schreuder did an ok job at halfback, and Grant was solid at 10. The Stormers backline in general struggled to breach the Crusaders defense though. Habana again tried very hard; he made a few mistakes, but was probably the most dangerous of the Stormers backs, and was rewarded with a try.

Finally a comment on the ref. I don't tend to comment much on refs, but I thought Craig Joubert was superb. It wasn't just that he made he made the right decisions (which he generally did), it was the brilliant way he communicated with the players that really impresses me. He is very consistent, and he leaves the players in no doubt about what the situation is.

Last edited:
Anyone see P Divvy?...he seemed more dissapointed than Schalk.

I like the line from one of the South African commentators during the replay of Sonny-Bill setting up Robbie Frueans try, it went something like....'thats the stuff that keeps little kids from going to the movies'...lol thats a good one.

Great result for the crusaders, best part about it was that the result was sealed with a Sonny Bill Williams offload in a jacques fourie tackle with peter de villiers sitting in the stand with his head in his hands.

I shouldn't say this I know but I honestly dont think the reds have much of a chance against this Crusaders side. They were unbeatable early in the season before they hit major injury problems but they have everyone but Dagg back now and look ubeatable again.

Last edited:
I can easily see the Reds taking this. I'd go as far to say they are the favourites. They've beated the Crusaders in their last two games and their players are all in great form, especially thier backs.

Latest posts