• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super 15: Reds - Crusaders in Brisbane (29-05-2011)

Darwin

AKA Dingo_Darwin
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Highlanders
Super%20Rugby.png

Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane (29-05-2011 7:10 GMT)
Reds.png
Versus%20Super.png
Crusaders.png

The Reds and Crusaders go at it in Brisbane. This will be the match of Daniel vs. Quade. Both fly-halves have been impressive throughout these last few years and both have contributed to the competition and Test rugby in a special way. The Reds need to win to secure their conference, the Crusaders need the win to pass the Blues and take the lead in theirs. Both teams managed to beat the Stormers in Cape Town, so we know they can perform under pressure.

Last year, the Crusaders made the play offs, only having a couple of points more than the Reds, who ended 5th. This year both seem the clinch a play off spot easily (also due to the fact that there are 6 spots, but still). Last year, the Reds won 41-20 in Brisbane when the Crusaders came to visit. Can they do it again? Or will the Crusaders repeat the famous victory of 2006, when they were victorious with a 21-47 win?

REDS: Ben Lucas, Luke Morahan, Anthony Faingaa, Ben Tapuai, Digby Ioane, Quade Cooper, Will Genia; Radike Samo, Beau Robinson, Scott Higginbotham, James Horwill (capt), Rob Simmons, James Slipper, Saia Faingaa, Ben Daley.
Reserves: James Hanson, Greg Holmes, Adam Wallace-Harrison, Jake Schatz, Ian Prior, Will Chambers, Dom Shipperley.

CRUSADERS – Tom Marshall, Brent Ward, Robbie Fruean, Sonny Bill Williams, Zac Guildford, Dan Carter, Willie Heinz, Kieran Read, Richie McCaw (c), George Whitelock, Chris Jack, Brad Thorn, Owen Franks, Corey Flynn, Wyatt Crockett.
Reserves: Quentin MacDonald/David Hall, Ben Franks, Luke Romano, Matt Todd/Joe Wheeler, Steve Alfred, Matt Berquist, Ryan Crotty.

Big match for both teams, I'm expecting it to be a close match.

I feel the Crusaders have the edge in the tight forwards, especially with Brad Thorn back. It will certainly be a big test for James Slipper up against Wyatt Crockett, who has been pretty destructive all season. If Slipper can hold his own it will go a long way to confirming his spot as the starting tight-head prop for Australia. Horwill and Simmons v Thorn and Jack will be a great matchup; I've been very impressed with Simmons, and wouldn't be surprised to see him in a Wallaby Jumper this year. Beau Robinson and Scott Higginbotham have both been in great form this year; McCaw will have to play better than he has been over the last few weeks otherwise the Reds could dominate in the loose. It has been good to see Read starting to show some strong form over the last couple of weeks, after a relatively slow start to the season.

Quade Cooper v Carter will be a great matchup; Carter is still a far more complete player, but on his day Cooper can be magic. It will be interesting to see how the Reds look to handle SBW. Not sure how strong Tapuai is on defense, but I would have thought the Anthony Faingaa may have played at 12, as he is a strong defender (he may indeed play 12 on defense). I think the Reds will want to get the ball into Ioane's hand as much as possible, as I feel Brent Ward may have trouble containing him. Likewise I think the Crusaders will want to get the ball to Zac Guildford as much as possible, as he has looked very sharp on attack this year. Though Luke Morahan would match Guildford for pace, he has been noticeably caught out of position on defense a number of times this year. I'm looking forward to watching Tom Marshall at fullback again for the Crusaders, as he looks to be a very promising young player.

Overall I'm picking the Crusaders to win a close one, by about 5 points.

This is a huge game, if the Reds win I will fancy them for the ***le.

Reds will be hard to beat at home, i'm picking/hoping for a victory to the Crusaders ... maybe by 2 points

Vbookie added and cheered up the thread (like you asked me, Darwin :rolleyes: )

I think Crusaders' gonna win it easier than expected...
I only hope someone on the pitch would notice all SBW shoulder-charge tackling, hardly penalized this year. It's amazing how he always gets away from it, where if he'd named "Butch James" surely would be red carded...

BTW if so, a 3-Australian-officials-game will be labelled as a farce, Dickinson will be dropped by the panel of top refs, only because he refered as the rules ask.

I see a powerful Crusaders side, they're gonna win... 10pt I say, but I hope at least for a bp for the Reds!

Hmm...i'm looking at this and the way the Crusaders have played all season, i wouldn't really put them as favourites away from home.
I'm gonna take a stab at Reds by less than 7.
Think this will be a close game though, very much look forward to it...plus, some super rugby on a sunday, i'm very happy with that!

I put all 26 v$ on the Reds by more than 7 lets hope they don't do a Hurricanes on me..

Thunderstorm and rain forecast for Brisbane. If it is wet than Crusaders IMO have an advantage because I believe they are much better playing tight. I am wondering if SBW might tone down with some of the ofloads now because their top two finishes Dagg and Maitland are out.

Apparently Suncorp is at capacity that they allow for games that aren't internationals about 50,000 tickets sold. Can't wait.

Only 23 minutes into the game and this is already a fantastic showpiece!!!
Every player is playing off their feet, these defensive patterns are holding strong against a really aggresive attacking line from both teams.
Reds get their first try from what was a forward pass, but a great going on nonetheless!

That's the first time the ref has picked up whitecock collapsing the scrum. He can't hold up his end and he either puts his hand down every time or he just drops to the floor.
Much needed 3 points for Reds...and Cooper's missed another penalty. 2 very easy kicks. Costly mistake maybe?

Don't know what's wrong with his kicking tonight.
He's been pretty good all season, but it's big game time, maybe he can't deal with the pressure.

The reds have been very lucky with a number of calls going their way...

Ioane is having a stormer of a game here!
Brilliant game, just brilliant!

Penalty Reds! With a little more than a minute to go.
Will Quade do it?

Latest posts