• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super 15: Western Force - Crusaders in Perth (30-04-2011)

TRF_Ezequiel

Kanko Krazy!!!
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Netherlands
Club or Nation
Sharks
Super%20Rugby.png

Force.png
Versus%20Pro%20D2.png
Crusaders.png

Perth is the location where the Force is looking to beat 2 semi finalists in a row after leaving the Bulls emptyhanded last week. The Crusaders are coming to Perth to recover from their loss against the Highlanders in Nelson. With a 26-18 final score, it didn't even leave them a bonus point and losing that match, made them lose the position on the top of the Conference log.

The Western Force come off a win over the Bulls and their mid-season flow can get another boost with the return of David Pocock, Matt Hodgson and Mitch Inman and all 3 are likely to be able to play this weekend. If the Force manage to beat the Crusaders, it will mean a third win in a row for the Blue Brigade. Especially the return of Pocock and Inman will give the squad a boost. They have been out since the 3rd round when they lost to the Sharks at home.

667789-david-pocock.jpg

The Crusaders are in a completely different situation. Having lost to the Highlanders, they struggle with injuries. Reuben Thorne, who played 129 Super Rugby matches and is the most capped Crusader. He last played for the Crusaders in 2008 in the team's Super Rugby final victory over the Waratahs at AMI Stadium.

Reuben_Thorne1.jpg

Andy Ellis and Brad Thorn won't be playing in Perth since they are out with serious injuries. Ellis will be out 6 weeks with a dislocated thumb and Thorn has a calf injury which will force him to sit out at least 3 matches. Kieran Read won't be travelling to Perth but is joining the squad when they go to Cape Town to play the Stormers. Dan Carter is back in the mix and will likely be on the bench to save himself for the Stormers clash.

In the short history of the Western Force, they managed to win last year when playing the Crusaders at home. It was 24-16 after 80 minutes and it was the only time they managed to beat them. In the years before that, the Crusaders won twice, of which once in Perth (2008) and 2 other matches ended in a draw (23-23 in both 2006 and 2009).

2010 Western Force 24 - 16 Crusaders
2009 Crusaders 23 - 23 Western Force
2008 Western Force 24 - 29 Crusaders
2007 Crusaders 53 - 0 Western Force
2006 Western Force 23 - 23 Crusaders

* The Western Force only played Super Rugby since 2006

The Crusaders will certainly be fired up after their loss last week. It sounds like McCaw will be back, though whether he starts or is on the bench is yet to be seen. If he does start he may even be in the 8 jersey, though they may prefer George Whitelock there (or Wheeler if he is fit). I'd imagine SBW and Maitland will certainly be back starting in the backs, though I wouldn't be surprised if Fruean is given the week off (with Adam Whitelock starting at centre), as Fruean has become less effective as the season has gone on.

Carter's on the bench? I thought I'd read in the Herald (i think) that he was out for yet another week.

Crusaders: Israel Dagg , Sean Maitland, Robbie Fruean , Sonny Bill Williams, Zac Guildford, Matt Berquist , Kahn Fotuali'i , Richie McCaw (c)Matt Todd , George Whitelock , Chris Jack , Luke Romano , Ben Franks , Corey Flynn , Wyatt Crockett
Reserves: Quentin MacDonald, Owen Franks, Joe Wheeler / Reuben Thorne, Jonathan Poff, Willi Heinz, Tom Marshall, Adam Whitelock

Great news for the Crusaders, with McCaw back captaining the team (from number 8). Ben Franks swaps places with his brother Owen, while Corey Flynn and Luke Romano (in for the injured Thorn) both come into the starting lineup. Reuben Thorne may make a return to Super Rugby from the bench if Joe Wheeler does not recover from his injury. Fotuali'i replaces the injured Ellis, with Heinz coming on the bench, while SBW and Maitland regaining there spots in the starting lineup again (with Adam Whitelock and Tom Marshall dropping to the bench).

Crusaders don't seem as invincible as they did 2 weeks ago but I'd still back them for a win over the Force. I just think it might be tighter than most seem to expect (if you'd consider the 8 point margin I'd give them tight LOL).

... and here's the Force side courtesy of the Sydney Morning Herald ... David Pocock finally returns to the starting line up, and Matt Hodgson to the reserves - should be a great match up in the loose forwards

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/pocock-and-hodgson-return-for-force-20110428-1dye4.html

Force: Cameron Shepherd, Nick Cummins, Patrick Dellit, James O'Connor, David Smith, Willie Ripia, Brett Sheehan, Ben McCalman, David Pocock, Richard Brown, Nathan Sharpe (capt), Sam Wykes, Matt Dunning, Nathan Charles, Pek Cowan. Reserves: Ben Whittaker, Kieran Longbottom, Matt Hodgson, Tevita Metuisela, James Stannard, Rory Sidey, Alfie Mafi.

I have to say if the force dominate in the breakdown like they should with Pocock back, they will definately be in for a good chance of winning. Having said that crusaders will be wanting to hit back hard after that loss against Highlanders. Will be an interesting one!

I have to say if the force dominate in the breakdown like they should with Pocock back, they will definately be in for a good chance of winning. Having said that crusaders will be wanting to hit back hard after that loss against Highlanders. Will be an interesting one!

I don't actually see the Force dominating the breakdown, though it will be an interesting contest. When Pocock is fit he's undoubtedly the best player at the breakdown in the world in my mind, however he's only just come back from injury, so he probably won't be at his best. Also the Crusaders backrow consists of three players who are primarily openside flankers, in Todd, George Whitelock, and McCaw. Todd has yet to be beaten at the breakdown this year, so his clash with Pocock will be great to watch.

Crusaders outplay us in most positions, but as we saw last week the Force don't go down easy at home.

Unless the Force really step up the Crusaders will win, but at the end of the day we will all just be happy to see some world class rugby.

Last edited:
The Force are hanging in here, 25-22 to the Crusaders, but Richie McCaw has just been yellow carded for a ** Drum roll**... ruck offense :eek:

Was a shame for the force to lose after such a good match, a few dodgy reffing decisions but there we go

Decisions that was a turning point and help lead to a try?

Haha indeed mate, really inconsistent reffing. I mean penalising cummins then not flynn when he scored? Disgraceful. I thought we played outstandingly - so gutting..

Great game and some amazing tries, too many missed tackles though.

One bad decision, not a bad performance from the ref. The players know a few more tackles made will make a much bigger difference than any refereeing decision.

btw, Zac Guildford was a stand-out tonight. He must be looking at an All Blacks jersey?

He was everywhere..made one mistake but otherwise absolutely faultless. Such a dangerous runner with the ball and I wouldnt be surprised if he started for NZ in the WC.

And get this, my hometown in England is called Guildford :p

This was a very good game. Force played really well.

Finally good to see SBW put on the big hits. Yes, a no.12 that does big hits.

Guilford was the MOTM for me, SBW showed he can work with his team. I don't think was tackle or held, the player was simply try to ruck over him whereas Cummins was tackled and held then let go, it was borderline for sure but Munro had a good game I thought. Freuan while quiet, made sure his presence was felt. The loosies were pretty much *** for tat, the Saders maybe had the better of them with a greater amount of turnovers. Todd showing hes still one of the form loosies of the comp and Pocock was unlucky to be pinged that one time but overall had a good game I think.

As much as I've always liked Guildford I can't see him making the All Blacks 22 and I think he'll be struggling to make the 30 man squad. The truth is the All Blacks have far too many quality wingers in the ranks that are playing supurb rugby atm and Guildford isn't exactly the best of them.

As much as I've always liked Guildford I can't see him making the All Blacks 22 and I think he'll be struggling to make the 30 man squad. The truth is the All Blacks have far too many quality wingers in the ranks that are playing supurb rugby atm and Guildford isn't exactly the best of them.

Guildford had another strong game, though he did uncharacteristically drop a couple of high balls near the end of the game. He has made a big improvement this year with the ball in hand - he seems to be able to break tackles quite easily at times, and he is really using his pace to his advantage. I wouldn't be surprised to see him make the AB's again this year (despite the competition), as his high-work rate is bound to impress the AB's selectors.

I think the advantage the All Blacks have in the WC (like any side who hosts it) is that they can call up any injury replacement and have them in the camp within a matter 1 or 2 hours. I think the selectors will stick to their proven wingers and if any of them were to get injured then they could have someone like Guildford in the mix very quickly.

Latest posts