• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super League franchises

I've nothing againgst expansion. BUT, i really do think CC is too early, i fear RL will becaome a laughing stock yet again in sport. Should have brought in Widnes and maybe Leigh, at least Leigh have a brand spanking new stadium.

What are the odds-CC vs Wigan at Brewery Field with Clown as ref, 1st match ;)

The chosen 14 are exactly who I said they would be. Zero suprise.

I'm gutted for Widnes who IMO have a lot to offer SL. Strikes me that the current 12 SL clubs were always gonna get in and the other 2 places were to be chosen purely on 'where' you are rather than 'who' you are.

However... best of luck and congrats to Salford (my 2nd team :cheers: ) and the Crusaders.

Leigh have taken it massively gracefully haven't they? [/b]

have no issue with the Welsh club, but that the RFL's decision to award them a license is "purely a geographical one". [/b]

They have contradicted themselves, they have got a problem and they should pipe down!

I wouldn't mind, but Leigh wouldn't get in ahead of either Salford or Widnes anyway!

I think Celtic's application was better than Leigh's. If it was all about stadia we wouldn't be in, that's for sure.

<div class='quotemain'> Still dont understnad the ******** talk of it being to early, im sorry but I fail to see what Leigh and Tolouse had to offer!

Also Leigh are bitter:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_league/7519365.stm [/b]

Leigh could have offered a brand spanking new stadium to SL. Something Celtic cannot.

[/b][/quote]

Sorry 'cannot' is utter crap im afraid! Go and do some research before posting such poor comments! Celtic have in fact applied to build a new ground! FACT! The council now have the plans! FACT! They are most likely to build a new stadium! FACT! Therefore they can!

Stop with the anti-celtic talk, just because some dont want the Welsh in the Super League is it?

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'> Still dont understnad the ******** talk of it being to early, im sorry but I fail to see what Leigh and Tolouse had to offer!

Also Leigh are bitter:

Leigh could have offered a brand spanking new stadium to SL. Something Celtic cannot.

[/b][/quote]

Sorry 'cannot' is utter crap im afraid! Go and do some research before posting such poor comments! Celtic have in fact applied to build a new ground! FACT! The council now have the plans! FACT! They are most likely to build a new stadium! FACT! Therefore they can!

Stop with the anti-celtic talk, just because some dont want the Welsh in the Super League is it?
[/b][/quote]

Get some history, then you'll understand why people are ******. Yes, you've applied but its not feckin built yet is it.

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'> Still dont understnad the ******** talk of it being to early, im sorry but I fail to see what Leigh and Tolouse had to offer!

Also Leigh are bitter:

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Get some history, then you'll understand why people are ******. Yes, you've applied but its not feckin built yet is it.
[/b][/quote]

Im afraid history is a poor reason to start have a go at the Crusaders, sorry but the history from Wigan does not start me as oh what a great team!

Infact a team can have as much history as they like but if they dont have the squad, players, managers, facilities etc then they are not good enough!

oh and for the Crusaders history

The initial plan to re-use the 'Celtic Warriors' name was abandoned in favour of 'Celtic Crusaders' which had been considered by the rugby union franchise. They were to play their home games at Brewery Field and games were planned to be held at Sardis Road as well.

The Crusaders' aim was to reach Super League and to represent South Wales. Previous attempts to create rugby league franchises in non-traditional areas have met with mixed success. Gateshead Thunder and Paris Saint Germain were given automatic entry to the Super League, Paris survived only two seasons and Gateshead were forcibly merged and reincarnated as a national league two side. The philosophy behind the creation of the Crusaders was a bottom up approach to ensure that the club grew with its playing and spectator base, into a nationally recognised sporting brand. The Crusaders' first match took place against Harlequins Academy at Brewery Field. The Crusaders used the fixture as a chance to view the fringe players in their squad and secured a 22-22 draw. Their first competitive games were in the National League Cup; Crusaders were placed in a group along with London Skolars, Hemel Stags and St Albans Centurions. Crusaders won every game convincingly and were installed as favourites to win National League Two in their first year. However, the team finished a creditable third and lost out 26-27 in the Final Eliminator to Swinton Lions. They played against Brisbane Broncos in the Bulmers Original Cider Challenge at the Brewery Field on Thursday February 15, 2007, losing with a respectable scoreline of 6-32.

In only their second season of existence, the Celtic Crusaders won the 2007 National League Two championship, thus earning automatic promotion to National League One in 2008. The ***le was sealed with one match left to play as a result of Featherstone Rovers away loss at Barrow Raiders on September 8, 2007.[5] In that year fullback Tony Duggan won the National League Two Player of the Year award for 2007 with 40 tries through 2007.Jace Van Dijk, Neale Wyatt, Damien Quinn, Mark Dalle Cort, Neil Budworth, all joined Duggan in the National League Two all-star team.[6]

In their first ever Co-operative National League One match, Celtic Crusaders, in atrocious conditions, claimed a hard-fought 14-12 win over Dewsbury Rams[/b]

If you knew anything about Rugby in the Valleys then you know that there is history behind the club and where it has come from! So until you understand any of that I think you should sit down and pack in! Im also willing to explain anything thats quite hard for you to understand in my Welsh accent also!

I dont need to know the history. Its the old RU club so feckin what. The history is that is has never worked in South Wales.

I dont need to know the history. Its the old RU club so feckin what. The history is that is has never worked in South Wales.

[/b]

With Rugby League or with Union .... if your talking Union you are talking completly out of your arse mate! Llanelli, Cardiff, Pontypridd,Swansea and Neath have all got good history so just watch where you are coming from because you seriously dont have a clue!

League aint been tried down here but I can tell you that the Crusaders attendences and fanbase are growing and come the Super League it will be a place that the likes of Wigan will hate to play in!

<div class='quotemain'> At least there is one good thing, we are not the most hated club in rugby now. [/b]

Oh I wouldn't go that far.
[/b][/quote]

Haha, well you would say that :bleh!:

<div class='quotemain'> I dont need to know the history. Its the old RU club so feckin what. The history is that is has never worked in South Wales.

[/b]

With Rugby League or with Union .... if your talking Union you are talking completly out of your arse mate! Llanelli, Cardiff, Pontypridd,Swansea and Neath have all got good history so just watch where you are coming from because you seriously dont have a clue!

League aint been tried down here but I can tell you that the Crusaders attendences and fanbase are growing and come the Super League it will be a place that the likes of Wigan will hate to play in! [/b][/quote]

i'm not talkin bout union, i could not give a f*** bout union. I know those have history, you dick.

gets your facts right it has been tried down there. South Wales, Cardiff City, Bridend all gone ***s up.
  • Aberdare (1908-1909)
  • Barry (1908-1909)
  • Bridgend (1984-1985)
  • Cardiff (1951-1952)
  • Cardiff City (1981-1984)
  • Ebbw Vale (1907-1912)
  • Merthyr Tydfil (1907-1911)
  • Mid-Rhondda (1908-1909)
  • Pontypridd (1926-1927)
  • South Wales (1996)
Lasted one season - by 1996 the season had switched to summer.
  • Treherbert (1908-1910)

Easy now peeps ;)

Personally... if P&R had been retained rather than the licence system, then I think Celtic Crusaders would have been in SL in 1 or 2 years anyway and I for one think that they have gone the right way about it by going the NL route initially rather than the way the Catalan Dragons were granted immediate entry into SL.

I can understand Leigh's anger although I think that the Crusaders are the wrong target. There is no doubt (and IMO never has been) that expansion was always on the cards and the RFL SHOULD have made that clear right from the start and weighted the criteria slightly in favour of ONE expansion club ie Celtic or Toulouse whilst beong totally honest and saying that the remaining 13 spots would go to the best 13 bids but that current SL status would also be a major factor of consideration. I don't believe the best 14 licence bids have been chosen and I think a lot of leeway has been given to some clubs who should count themselves very, very fortunate to be in SL for the next 3 years.

Lets hope that the Crusaders can repay the faith shown in them.

Latest posts